Zero Punctuation: Mighty No. 9

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
This game looks fucking atrocious, I knew that Kickstarter was sketchy from the start.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Keiji Inafune is the creator of Mega Man is he? I thought he was just a character designer from the initial Rock Man team.

ShiningMetaLord

Nov 9, 2012
The problem people had/have with the graphics is because this game had a nine million dollar budget and looks this bad, where as games with barely a tenth of that money or less (Half Genie Hero, Dragon's Crown, Skullgirls, Shovel Knight) look a lot better in comparison.

OuendanCyrus said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Keiji Inafune is the creator of Mega Man is he? I thought he was just a character designer from the initial Rock Man team.
You are correct, the first Megaman character Inafune made was Zero iirc.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
Yahtz self referencing his own parenting issues is probably my favorite new schtick (along with Gabe being the Coke & Hookers Teacher).

But Speaking as someone who should have been wallowing in Nostalgia about Megaman b/c I was a little boy right when it came out .... No .....NOOOO ... it wasn't "Difficult", it wasn't for "Skilled" players, and it certainly wasn't "Good". It was hands down one of the WORST controlled / inertia physics I ever saw in any NES game and they never really addressed that issue until MegamanX. So it's ironic as hell that the soulless cash-in almost 30 years later just so happens look like a bland POS that tries to CIRCUMVENT the clumsy controlling & intertia with even stupider cop out mechanics. Good job internet, your Cognitive Dissonance never ceases to amaze me -- just like 20 years from now I'll get to listen to Millennials hitting their Dad Game phase also but at the same time constantly saying what a perfect game Darksouls1 was. Infact that will probably be yet another Meme that Yahtzee will be directly responsible for.

Noyemi-K

Jan 6, 2016
Gee, a kickstarted game being a huge waste of time and money, I never could have seen that one coming.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Those British political jokes and references... somebody's got to make light of a dire pile up of situations, and this may satiate my satirical desire till the next episode of Have I Got News for You or Mock the Week.
Oh right, the game. Not very appealing to me since its' first inception. But oh well. Even Shenmue, being a game I was heavily invested in during the sparse release schedule of dreamcast ownership, failed to convince me to part with cash. Gambling's for fools, and when they're trying to tug on your nostalgia strings too, it's best to cut them off and sell them on the black market!

For difficulty, there's a new title out called Furi, maybe named after the emotion it mostly generates. But either I'm really shit, or that game is quite damn hard. Only on second...Lev...boss? I don't know. Very fast paced fights and always changing strategies. The connecting walking parts are unnecessarily slow, probably for the conversation with your imaginary friend to take place. Oh, it's kind of weird too.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
It astounds me how a Kickstarter game with that large a budget could look and play that awful. It shouldn't be a WORSE version of the original it's meant to emulate!

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
Xsjadoblayde said:
Those British political jokes and references... somebody's
For difficulty, there's a new title out called Furi, maybe named after the emotion it mostly generates. But either I'm really shit, or that game is quite damn hard. Only on second...Lev...boss? I don't know. Very fast paced fights and always changing strategies. The connecting walking parts are unnecessarily slow, probably for the conversation with your imaginary friend to take place. Oh, it's kind of weird too.
Oh man, that's a good call. Esp since Yahtz did an LP of Titan Souls and Furi looks like a waaaaaay better version of that

Flathole

Sep 5, 2015
Am I the only one reminded of Duke Nukem Forever from MNo9?
Insanely long development time filled with delays and "budgeting" that suggests hooker&cocaine breaks were taken every 20 minutes, appeal to players is firmly rooted in nostalgia, gets released, is bland and uninspired, gets crucified, buyers say they'll NEVER GET FOOLED again, then go to Kickstarter and pledge $300 to
Metroid: Other M: Revelations

Also, Mambo #5? Terrible taste, Yahtzee.

a little bit of Sandra, in the sun, a little bit of Erika, all night long, a little bit of Rita's, all I need...
dont you judge me

nightowlc

Nov 5, 2008
-snicker- Saw the last comment in the closing about Boris Johnson resigning just as Yahtzee was finishing up the video. And I think David Cameron also resigned, and wasn't deposed.

Yeah, the actual game Mighty No. 9 sounds like crap.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Flathole said:
Am I the only one reminded of Duke Nukem Forever from MNo9?
Insanely long development time filled with delays and "budgeting" that suggests hooker&cocaine breaks were taken every 20 minutes, appeal to players is firmly rooted in nostalgia, gets released, is bland and uninspired, gets crucified, buyers say they'll NEVER GET FOOLED again, then go to Kickstarter and pledge $300 to
Metroid: Other M: Revelations

Also, Mambo #5? Terrible taste, Yahtzee.

a little bit of Sandra, in the sun, a little bit of Erika, all night long, a little bit of Rita's, all I need...
dont you judge me
DNF got stalled for so long because 3D Realms kept obsessively trying to keep up with every new piece of tech that came out, I think the game was actually pretty decent(I had never played a Duke game before, so my expectations for it were fairly neutral, and it pleasantly surprised me), I didn't think it was "bland" or "uninspired" in the least(it was a certainly a nice change from all the serious FPS games coming out at the time). Mighty No 9 turned out mediocre because it was made with the now outdated Unreal Engine 3 and the creators never thought about using a more modern engine, which caused all manner of glitches to occur in the game.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I got over it and went to motorboat Mega Man X instead, because I'd never really dug deep into those games. Hilariously, they all have more depth than Mighty No. 9, because it seems like the latter was pretty much content to just take everything the original six Mega Man games did and run with that rather than accounting for the literal decades of progress that happened in between then and now.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Why do people use the term of 'taint'?

When it is quite obviously 'twert' because if it twert there your guts would fall out.

Madmatty

Apr 5, 2016
Xsjadoblayde said:
Those British political jokes and references... somebody's got to make light of a dire pile up of situations, and this may satiate my satirical desire till the next episode of Have I Got News for You or Mock the Week.
Oh right, the game. Not very appealing to me since its' first inception. But oh well. Even Shenmue, being a game I was heavily invested in during the sparse release schedule of dreamcast ownership, failed to convince me to part with cash. Gambling's for fools, and when they're trying to tug on your nostalgia strings too, it's best to cut them off and sell them on the black market!

At least in the long run Britain will have more freedom and won't be lorded over by a federal dictatorship.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Madmatty said:
Xsjadoblayde said:

At least in the long run Britain will have more freedom and won't be lorded over by a federal dictatorship.
LOL you are so dead wrong it's hilarious, wonder why all those idiots in the "leave" movement are now jumping ship and being unable to fulfil all those empty promises they made eh?