Zero Punctuation: Mirror's Edge

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
good points Yahtzee, its never really explained who you're working for or who you're delivering the "packages" to

AmbrMerlinus

Feb 2, 2009
I keep coming back and rewatching this one, and it makes me laugh out loud every time. Several times every time, actually.

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
Yahtzee, you sassy-mouthed troubadour,

I hear so many times from so many reviewers that one of the biggest problems with video games in today's society is the camera angle, flitting around looking at everything unnecessary or otherwise useless. However, the concept seems so simple that I can't understand how developers and programmers keep on guffing it up.

What, then, is YOUR idea of a game with good camera angles, since everyone seeks to cry foul, but no-one seeks to offer solutions?

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
I thought Mirror's Edge was all right, I think it would've been improved if they had ditched the stupid elevators, had given some better reasoning for why the government is evil, and had set the game in a sandbox environment.

ChemMan

Apr 7, 2009
Personally I thought this game was a visionary new experience. The free running format was new and some what challenging at points but all in all a great game. I played this game on PC mainly because I will never touch a pre-made "platform" in my life but that is a whole different story. I never had any problems like the escapist is describing and did buy this game after watching this review.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
samblack09 said:
Hehe, obviously im too big of a idiot to read previous posts before i say this, so you've probably already heard it....but i remember on the E3 trailer park episode, you said (or mabey it was in the credits) that mirrors edge looked pretty good, where as in this review you say you thought it was going to be bad from the start...hehe, i dont really care, but i just thought i'd point that out, whiny nit picking anti-social geek that i am.
He said that in the trailer it looked like gold, but in his actual review, the gold was just the reflection off the piss

Eternal-Blood

Apr 24, 2009
Mixed feelings on this as it was one of the games I was hoping to buy. I liked what I saw from watching a demo and it did seem pretty original. Still as you said it was an experiment and does seem like quite an original concept so although it appears to fail in many aspects I am also going to contribute to the scientific process and buy it. To be honest about the whole ledge and falling to death aspect that can happen to me in quite a few games on the first go anyway so I think I may let that one slide. Plus I guessed from the demo that that kinda thing may happen a lot.

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
it was ok. I think if they make a sequel it outta be touched up a little better. and they DO need to explain things better. I didn't like this game but then again i didn't dislike it either. It was about a 7 for me. Maybe next time huh?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
hopeneverdies said:
samblack09 said:
Hehe, obviously im too big of a idiot to read previous posts before i say this, so you've probably already heard it....but i remember on the E3 trailer park episode, you said (or mabey it was in the credits) that mirrors edge looked pretty good, where as in this review you say you thought it was going to be bad from the start...hehe, i dont really care, but i just thought i'd point that out, whiny nit picking anti-social geek that i am.
He said that in the trailer it looked like gold, but in his actual review, the gold was just the reflection off the piss
He also said that he "knew from the start" that first person platforming was "a flawed concept".

Mixed message still exists.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Naminator236 said:
100$????

Damn Australia sucks.
Where might you be from? Currency has different worth in other countries. It'd be about the same as paying $60 in the US.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Hmmm, bad collision detection, leaps of faith, and a large breasted female protagonist. This is a bloody tomb raider rip off in first person!

cabalistics

May 4, 2009
Racecarlock said:
Hmmm, bad collision detection, leaps of faith, and a large breasted female protagonist. This is a bloody tomb raider rip off in first person!
Actually Faith seems to be rather sensibly proportioned for someone who has to keep her balance. Its an an awesome game but it takes a little patience

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
cabalistics said:
Racecarlock said:
Actually Faith seems to be rather sensibly proportioned for someone who has to keep her balance. Its an an awesome game but it takes a little patience
@Racecarlock
big breasted????? i think you need some glasses. this is the first small breasted protagonist i have ever seen in any game.

@cabalistic
i agree. i think also that it is a great game. but it does take some time to get used to the controls.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Yeah, I'm way behind the times, but what the heck.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for ripping this game apart, Yahtzee, because my ex-girlfriend loves this miserable pile of control issues, and it makes me feel superior knowing that my eventual hatred of both was spot-on.

SilentChief

Dec 27, 2010
Old video is old but this is the best review of Mirror's Edge. Such a horrible game, I'm always glad Yahtzee is around to tear a game a new asshole, especially when everyone else is giving it good reviews.