Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

Demonio Penguino

Oct 11, 2009
aaron.c said:
you are seriously a complete retard
this is a fantastic game and if you have that little a life just to review games all day then you should at least give a half decent look at the game before you say anything about it
get a real job
This IS his job.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
meh, Monster Hunter is a game you either love or hate. It's a game based soley around gameplay, not unlike Demon Souls. I LOVE these games so so very much but it's also not everyone's cup-o-tea.

KingpinLarry

Jan 31, 2011
I love Monster Hunter, but I don't have a Wii so this is so-so. I'm just waiting for Monster Hunter Freedom 3 on PSP. Yes people still play on PSP.

Festivehands

Feb 11, 2011
After watching this video, I've realized that Yahtzee doesn't exactly play most of these games in depth. He only played the beginning of the offline single-player part which sucks balls. He didn't (as it seems) beat the offline mode, or move on to online multiplayer mode... But this video does accurately portray the beginning of the story mode.

Jan 22, 2011
I swear I think he is a closet anime fan afraid to come out because of ridicule from other people but to each his own. I disagree with most of his reviews but still find him entertaining and funny to watch.

Demonio Penguino

Oct 11, 2009
Well here's the learning curve of the game:
It starts out inching slowly up when all you're doing is gathering shit and murdering wildlife.
When you encounter the Great Jaggi, it starts inching up faster.
When you find the Barroth, from there, it shoots up to the f*cking moon!

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
I picked up this game and it came with a free retro controller.

The game itself is actually quite fun. Fans of Pokemon/Diablo2 will enjoy this one.

Sit back, relax and take it easy. This game is not meant to be fast paced/action game where you kill monsters.

Leverette

Jul 22, 2011
A very disappointing review. Not because what is probably my favorite game series just got called a boring slideshow of illegal immigrant work and bullying bird hatchlings that's not even worth the CD it's stored on, but because it got called a boring slideshow of illegal immigrant work and bullying bird hatchlings that's not even worth the CD it's stored on by someone who's obviously never played it and pretended they have! Some games have tutorials in the beginning, Yahtzee, and this one just happens to be long since Monster Hunter is one of, if not 'the' hardest game series currently in existence, and I assure you from this review, you weren't even out of the tutorial stage before you abruptly gave up on it, then figured you'd make a review without mentioning you only played it for about 30 minutes. *inhales*

Although I know my words only hold so much power, (about as much as a battery that's been used twice, stored in a freezer, used again, covered in acid and eaten by a Tyrannosaurus Rex with heart problems) for the sake of Monster Hunter's honor I have to stand up and say that Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw has only played as much Monster Hunter as he uses periods in his sentences, which is to say only one at the very end of every review, which accounts for about the same percentage of gameplay in Monster Hunter that gathering resources and beating up tiny things consists of. *inhales*

That being said, what Yahtzee said about Monster Hunter is about as accurate as me saying that he can't affiliate himself with ZeroPunctuation because he eventually stops talking at the end of his reviews, which is of course about as accurate as a blind man with a blunderbuss being spun around while he tries to shoot a gnat on the wall of a house in another country, all the while trying to survive the fact that amidst his being spun around and blindness he's also being mauled by a bear.

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
Quite frankly, this game was bad even for whatever kind of game it is. Sure, you can be on the edge of your life taking a last stand against a giant snake, but if you're only fighting it for the benefit of some nameless prick who won't even turn around to look at you if you talk to him from behind then there's no weight or sense of purpose to any of it. And that's just on top of all the BASIC design failures such as the complete lack of any kind of targeting mechanic that means you'll wailing at thin air more often than not, or the assigning of the inventory cycling to the face buttons rather than the D-pad which not only disables some attacks for several seconds but is only as it is to make the analogue camera controls stiff and unworkable.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Reading through the first page makes me not want to live on this planet any more. I'll bet most of the people who are agreeing with the review haven't even played a Monster Hunter game to begin with. And while I will admit to having much that same experience with the game when I started (last night), I'll at least give it a shot to get better.

I came in expecting something hard, and hell if I'm not going to reach the hard (read: interesting) parts, negative reviews be damned!

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Never cared for this game, and I ain't exactly its target fanbase, but I got the chance to know it and looking back at this review... it's a hackneyed hate piece against Japan put together after 2 or something hours of play, self sabotaging it. Where Yahtzee mentioned the big dinosaur chasing him as he was gathering, is a very early tutorial: after that, battling huge beasts in chaos fights is the norm - there's not even a hint that this is an action game, no mmporg autoattacks fest.

lordofpowies

Jul 20, 2013
Anyone who thinks this was a worthwhile review that fully covers everything this game has to offer needs to actually play the game for longer than the maybe thirty-five minutes Yahtzee put in.