Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter World

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wonder if he's going to do the Shadows of the Colosssus remake...he already did the first, but fuck all else is coming out.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Why did the audio get so low at around 4:10?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Funniest moments for me were Grimace covered in black goo with a giant dildo when Yahtzee said "get his knob on" and Yahtzee choking a dolphin while saying "Talk, damn you!"
Silentpony said:
Wonder if he's going to do the Shadows of the Colosssus remake...he already did the first, but fuck all else is coming out.
He still didn't go over the newest Call 0f Duty yet, did he? I'm waiting for him to rip that to shreds.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I'm always left wondering if Yahtzee is an exhibitionist exposing himself to his audience whenever he includes a pixelated phallus in a video

Missed opportunity not using a Bad Dragon product - wouldn't even need to pixelate it

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
This sounds tedious and boring. It's not big loss that I can't afford it anyway.
Also I completely lost it at the end of the credits.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
From what I can recall, "Elder Dragon" in Monster Hunter's universe is basically just a big taxonomic "Miscellaneous" bin they throw anything that can't be classified as some form of Wyvern into.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
ToastyMozart said:
From what I can recall, "Elder Dragon" in Monster Hunter's universe is basically just a big taxonomic "Miscellaneous" bin they throw anything that can't be classified as some form of Wyvern into.
I mean, "Wyvern" seems to be their classification for "Big ass thing that occupies a space higher then us on the food chain" (I mean, aside from at least one herbivore, and one thing that eats eggs visibly). ITs used interchangably with "Large Monster" for all the bounty requests, possibly to keep the adjectives down so you don't have Brute Large Monsters and so on.

Elder Dragon seems to be the step where they start altering the fabric of reality around them inexplicably. They put some effort into making fire breathing, explosive vomit spewing, flying thunder squirrel, and so on seem grounded. Then Elder Dragons are just "Well, this thing just creates a continent afflicting storm system around it somehow".

Other then Nergigante (who spends most of the time being the big bad, though in true JRPG fashion, not the final boss), whose main thing seems to be just Wolverine-healing, and being able to eat Elder Dragons (which seems less unique when you've gone and killed them all yourself with a large slab of metal)

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Got the game, played it for an hour or so, and couldn't help but think... "Why am I having to be the one doing the heavy lifting, I just got here and you people at the base have been here long enough to raise babies to full grown men... Why not send him and I just help him out?"

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Canadamus Prime said:
This sounds tedious and boring. It's not big loss that I can't afford it anyway.
This looks boring to you?

Monster Hunter is a game that never gets boring. You are always on your toes.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Darth_Payn said:
He still didn't go over the newest Call 0f Duty yet, did he? I'm waiting for him to rip that to shreds.
Keep waiting, it ain't happening anymore. If he didn't review it back in November, he is certainly not going to review it 4 months later.
But if you want a review: It's a CoD not made by Treyarch. For the story: It's WW2 (and we pretend that CoD1, UO, 2, 3, and 5 never existed)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
This looks boring to you?

Monster Hunter is a game that never gets boring. You are always on your toes.
I said "SOUNDS" boring, as in I was going by the way Yahtzee described it here. I have since watched his post-ZP stream on Twitch and I admit it looks much more interesting than he described it here. I still can't afford it or the Playstation to play it on though.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Darth_Payn said:
He pretty much said he's already reviewed it, as in he's reviewed every CoD game since 4 and in general they don't change much. Keep in mind Yathzee doesn't play the MP so he doesn't care about that bit.

There's also the fact CoD has already done WW2. Like the first 3 games(plus an expansion pack for 1) and World at War. There's probably only so many times you can review a WW2 FPS and go "Yep, it's a shooter where you shoot a bunch of Nazis in the face".

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Alright, what are the bets for next week? I'm thinking either Celeste or Shadow of the Colossus. Maybe even a double feature?

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
So, I'm guessing the bottom crafting menu @ 4:24 is Minecraft and I'm sure the middle one is Last Day on Earth: Survival, but what's the topmost one from?

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Late to the party, but how exactly does one screw up longsword? It's braindead (and incredibly forgiving) to chain, has no additional modes,does thoroughly decent damage. You don't ever need to learn when and where to block with it given if you're someplace where you can't dodge or backstep swing you're already screwed ... and if you're incl. flurry (which you should be doing everytime you get to 4/5 of a charged blade if only to recharge sword power and penetrating tough monster bodypoints rather than constantly resharpening) it's not even that slow.

Given it's range, its decent power, and its straightforwardness of chaining attacks it's also pretty good at targetting specific body parts for breaking.

Really good at breaking wings, head and tail....

About the only downside to the LS is the durability, and even then it's not that bad and in multi given the number of additional aggroable targets the team has to allow you a quick resharpening without going too far, it's not that big a deal.

LS is all around great, it's been my goto weapon for farming bosses since it became a fixture in the series.

That being said I prefer the switch axe for sheer coolness and the fact that I like having weapons where you actually have to think about your attacks and when and where to transform them.

I think the reason why th game recommends LS is not only is it forgiving to chain and to flurry, but it also forces you to learn when to dodge enemy attacks far sooner than any other weapon. I take a longsword into a fight with new creatures solely on the principle that by the end of the fight I'll probably be pretty decent at knowing exactly when and how to roll and use those invicibility frames, and exactly where to position myself.

I will say the Monster Hunter World feels like the easiest monster hunter to date....

4Aces

May 29, 2012
A game where the goals are set by you is not a game, it is a sim, and most of them are quite boring. After all trading one shiny pair of pants for another with a slightly higher number on them is just grind.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
4Aces said:
A game where the goals are set by you is not a game, it is a sim, and most of them are quite boring. After all trading one shiny pair of pants for another with a slightly higher number on them is just grind.
So if players vote for a map and game mode change, Call of Duty becomes not a game?

What about in board games like Mage Knight where you and possibly other players choose a scenario to play and hoe that alters playstyles and thd focus of yhe game?