Zero Punctuation: Murdered: Soul Suspect

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Uriel-238 said:
There's one or more guys with good ideas having to share an office with a giant monster clown they don't know how to say "no" to.

Isn't that the standard model for every AAA dev team?

And congrats Mr. Croshaw on your engagement, I think.

238U

UPDATE: According to Yahtzee's Wikipedia entry under personal life: "Currently, he does not often contact his brother, while his parents disapprove of his game-critic career, as they wanted him to enroll into higher education."

Dude, you need to announce your engagement more officially.
Then I must say he is VERY wrong.
But I digress. I respect different opinions even if I don't agree AT ALL.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
JSW said:
Yahtzee slagging on the new consoles is getting to be as tedious as when Moviebob would crowbar an attack on The Amazing Spider-Man into every video regardless of how ill-fitting it was. Especially since the 7th console generation was among the darkest times in the history of video games and we should all be celebrating the fact that it's finally over.
Well at least Yahzee's slagging off of new consoles is still pretty funny, and oddly relevant, but I don't entirely disagree.

Still I don't think I can hate anything as much as Bob seems to hate The amazing spider-man 2. I mean I didn't even hate Dragon Ball Evolution that much.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Yeah, this game didn't look very good from the get go...
Now about this Dresden Files everyone keeps gushing about, what is it and why is it so important that Yahtzee mentioned it?

Kameburger said:
JSW said:
Yahtzee slagging on the new consoles is getting to be as tedious as when Moviebob would crowbar an attack on The Amazing Spider-Man into every video regardless of how ill-fitting it was. Especially since the 7th console generation was among the darkest times in the history of video games and we should all be celebrating the fact that it's finally over.
Well at least Yahzee's slagging off of new consoles is still pretty funny, and oddly relevant, but I don't entirely disagree.

Still I don't think I can hate anything as much as Bob seems to hate The amazing spider-man 2. I mean I didn't even hate Dragon Ball Evolution that much.
Bob seems to hate any superhero thing that isn't done by Marvel on general principle.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
Yeah, this game didn't look very good from the get go...
Now about this Dresden Files everyone keeps gushing about, what is it and why is it so important that Yahtzee mentioned it?

Kameburger said:
JSW said:

Bob seems to hate any superhero thing that isn't done by Marvel on general principle.
Seems that way, but in Movie Bob's defense, although he did go after ASM2 quite a bit, in fairness ASM2 murdered his family and so he vowed revenge and took to becoming a vigilante and started killing members of the ASM2 crime syndicate until he exacted slow and painful revenge on them with various array of weapons, not least of which a rather menacing compound bow, and to drive the point home he wears an iconic white skull on his black baby-gap T-shirt to send a message to criminals that crimes against Spider-man cinematic experience will be 'punished'.

Full disclosure though, that's the plot to Punisher with Bob and ASM2 taking the place of Frank Castle and the villains who murdered his family respectively. I thought the stories were too similar so I didn't bother to write out a new one.

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
Kingjackl said:
Urggh, I know. While I don't share your views on the last console generation, I still agree that he needs to get over the new ones. It's even worse if you listen to his Let's Drown Out videos, where he frequently suggests he wants the new generation to fail (fat chance), the console industry to crash, and that that will somehow make everything better.
He doesn't say he wants it to crash, he says he thinks it will crash. Anyone who actually follows the industry without fanboy glasses linking them to a specific console maker (or one like myself that prefers one console but sees the whole market stll) some of the things that are happening now are replicating the conditions that happened around the last big crash.

A lack of trust in the game makers due to over advertisement and under performing (stuff like watchdogs and battlefield show this), budgets shooting up past the point of sensibility (also happening, yes budgets are higher now but its the sustainability of it) , contraction in sales of consoles (currentlyhappening but too early to call a full yes or no. <ost of it is the wii crowd going to other consoles, but if you factor out the wii casual crows last gen would be massively down on the gen before)

Its a valid concern, just because its bad news doesn't mean its head in the sand time.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
I'd been wondering about trying out this game myself, but it sounds like I did the right thing in waiting. The investivative mechanics sound rather awkward and really, combat that's QTEs only? Geeze, if they wanted to make this like a survival horror version of L.A. Noire they could at least make the combat functional, not tacked-on.

LoneWolf83

Apr 8, 2014
If game companies (and gamers) would be content with good games with reasonable budgets instead of every AAA game having to have shinny pwritty gwaphics, we could get a variety of mostly good games but because the shinny pwritty gwaphics alone are costing these companies tens of millions of dollars the suits interfere in the development process forcing developers to give up their artistic integrity to make bland generic games, even when they try to do something relatively unique.

You know who's at fault for this? No, not the inverters, they are just trying to ensure their investments makes money, they invest to make money. No, not the suits, they are, as well, trying to ensure that these ridiculously costly games make money, they just don't know a damn thing about games. No, not the marketers, the marketers as stupid as they are wouldn't have the power they have if the suits weren't so concerned about the games making a profit. It's you, YOU are responsible! Because YOU people care so much about pwitty shinny gwaphics that cost a ridicules amount of money to produce the inverters and suits end up gimping the developers and making the games mediocre to appeal to wider audiences. Take away the expansive graphic and developers would have more freedom to make what they want, and the suits and investors would be more willing to take risks.

Fuck graphics! I'd rather have good games with PS2 level graphics than mediocre games with PS3 and 4 level graphics.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
SweetShark said:
Uriel-238 said:
There's one or more guys with good ideas having to share an office with a giant monster clown they don't know how to say "no" to.

Isn't that the standard model for every AAA dev team?

And congrats Mr. Croshaw on your engagement, I think.

238U

UPDATE: According to Yahtzee's Wikipedia entry under personal life: "Currently, he does not often contact his brother, while his parents disapprove of his game-critic career, as they wanted him to enroll into higher education."

Dude, you need to announce your engagement more officially.
Then I must say he is VERY wrong.
But I digress. I respect different opinions even if I don't agree AT ALL.
I hate when Yahtzee says ?but I digress,? because for the rest of the week there will be people all over the Escapist saying ?but I digress? when they?re not actually, you know? digressing. <_<

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
I laughed far more than I should have at that prostitute joke.... sigh London memories

Fandom Ghost

Jun 28, 2014
Hey all, I've been watching Zero Punctuation for quite a while, and decided to make an account today to chime in about this game. Please ignore my appropriately pun-y name.

First though, a few points:

1) A trilby is a type of fedora. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilby
-Also he didn't have the hat when she married him (Ronin), she gave it to him after watching some gangster movie. Then he "never took it off".
2) This game is on current/last gen consoles, I own it on 360.

Ok, to business, I bought this a day or two after release completely on impulse. I had never seen or heard of it before, just saw pretty pictures and got it. I should also say I don't buy much for consoles anymore, and very little about them excites me either.

I think the downside to this game lies in it's simplicity. It feels like there's something missing, there are collectibles which unlock some interesting little ghost stories, which are read to you like your around a campfire (I really liked these). Apart from this there are files strewn about with background on most main characters, which were nice too, but with a lot of freedom to explore I wish there was more to find. As for "combat", well it wasn't ideal, but I kept thinking I was going to get some kind of "ghost gun" toward the end. I was greatly pleased that I didn't, for what it's worth, they don't change anything in that regard. Your first encounter will likely go the same as your last, except you'll have a few powers to help out.

On the plus side, I think the story and characters were pretty well done, Ronin doesn't feel like a typical protagonist. He actually seems street-wise and pragmatic, rather than being led by supporting characters. I also thought the flashback intro worked well, can't stand intros like, "Hey! Ronin, my brother-in-law! Man, you sure love my sister, since you married her and now are a police detective, despite your troubled past! Too bad she died, huh?" It lets you see who he is and what his life was like, and seems to make sense in that he's about to die and his life flashes before his eyes. (didn't need to copy the scene from Matrix though)

What I liked most though were the remnants of the spirit world, mostly the creepy images of people hanging around (sometimes literally) that disappear when you get too close. The first instance of this is an old couple's apartment, in which the tub seems to be haunted by some kind of bound woman or something. This and the random ghosts you'll run into, some of which have no bearing on you or the game, it's just a distraction. These helped to fill the gaps, yet it still feels unfinished.

I would recommend it to anyone curious, but I do have to agree a $30 price would be easier to swallow. Sorry for a huge first post, thanks if anyone actually read it. And just to establish myself as an anti-hipster, never looked into Dresden Files. :p