Zero Punctuation: Next Gen Buyer's Guide

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
JarinArenos said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
I love his show, what I don't like are bloody parrots that end up doing the whole "PC master race" joke he'd made and turned into something worse.
The fact that people don't realize that it was a satirical joke is just kinda depressing...
It's both a satirical joke and somewhat true at the same time.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Why are you even asking/telling me any of this?, I'm not even here for a debate at all.
Because comments on a site like this are not a one-way street, your statement still makes little sense to me, and therefore I am responding to get to the bottom of what looks like an irrational, hyperbolic claim.

I mean, you were complaining at first about him and what he always does but it was bad here for reasons you didn't fully explain. Now it's the mob mentality of his fans, but there's no real followthrough as to the A to B.

Nobody's asking for a debate, but clear statements and straightforward answers would be nice. There doesn't have to be a rule set or prep cards or timers.

JarinArenos said:
The fact that people don't realize that it was a satirical joke is just kinda depressing...
It's simultaneously a joke and not until observed.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
I suppose it makes little sense to you because you see nothing wrong at all with what Yahtzee says now and then but then again I doubt there's going to be any sense made at all from this because I have a feeling that even if I explained thoroughly, you'd still be the kind to shrug and go "nothing wrong there".

Sometimes I see this forum as a strict one way street.

But to be as blunt as possible, I like his show and who he is, I do not however love the effect rubbing off onto users and having them parrot what he says and then back it up as mere jokes but still using them in a passive aggressive.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
You know what Yahtzee? No...

This console generation is great.

Both consoles are selling like crazy, regardless of what people might say I still think there's a whole bunch of great "next-gen" games. Both machines are great and fail-rates have been usually low for both machines. I've had the chance to play extensively on both machines at a friend's house, and guess what - this is coming from someone who has never owned a console and been playing exclusively on PC since I was seven.

And what I have to say is this: this whole "PC gaming, consoles such" bullshit is getting old. Really old. This kind of next-gen pessimism seems to be the "in thing" right now, in a sort of counter-reaction to all the hype, but let's not go so far as to unfairly call this new console era a failure when it so clearly is not.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Wait...I'm confused. Wasn't this video released a month or two back? I watched it half way before I realized it's the same video.

Did something change? Or did Yahtzee add something to it and Escapist bumped it up as "latest content"

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Dragonbums said:
Wait...I'm confused. Wasn't this video released a month or two back? I watched it half way before I realized it's the same video.

Did something change? Or did Yahtzee add something to it and Escapist bumped it up as "latest content"
6 months ago actually.

And it's exactly the same video.
My guess is they had nothing to post over Christmas, so they just reposted this.

What's funny though, is that any normal user would get into trouble for necroing this thread.

Duckman

Jan 7, 2012
The only thing funnier than watching all the people who don't get that it's a repost is seeing how many butt-hurt console owners feel that they need to defend their decisions. I am pleased

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I feel like I have already seen this episode.. you are becoming increasingly boring Yahzee.
So many wrong facts.. so much fatalism... I mean, I agree that there isn't much to play on this consoles, but how is that news? it's always the same...
And yes.. the consoles are dying, surely, thats why they had the best launch in history.

I'm sure we will see many changes this generation, but really? so much bulshit tinfoil hat paranoia?

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Can't help but notice you didn't answer the question.
TomWiley said:
Just 'cause the consoles are selling well doesn't mean they're quality products. Don't get me wrong, though; I don't care what you buy. Get a current-gen console if you want one. Your life, not mine. I'm just here to point out your argument is kinda shallow.

As for me, though, I'm really not thinking I'm gonna get a new console. I've got a PC that plays games just fine, and I haven't seen any exclusives on any console that would really justify me buying one.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Luckily for you Yatzee Dolphin Shaggers is coming to the PS4! Glad I grabbed a PS4 for that alone.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Delcast said:
I feel like I have already seen this episode.. you are becoming increasingly boring Yahzee.
So many wrong facts.. so much fatalism... I mean, I agree that there isn't much to play on this consoles, but how is that news? it's always the same...
And yes.. the consoles are dying, surely, thats why they had the best launch in history.

I'm sure we will see many changes this generation, but really? so much bulshit tinfoil hat paranoia?
Ouch, that is not a good look Delcast.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
The PC fanboy mentality has become by far the most annoying thing about frequenting this site (and bear in mind, this is the site that regurgitates the same 500-post argument every time Anita Sarkeesian farts). As someone who plays his PC more often than his consoles, I have started thinking of myself as a console player because they're so annoying to associate with. Not all of them of course, but the ones that are so SMUG and so unwilling to accept that anyone could have a valid reason to want a console. And the 20 people who post in every thread just to say "Yeah, I don't need a console, I've got my PC and my Steam sale backlog" in a desperate quest for approval. And especially, ESPECIALLY the entitled people who refer to any situation where a console has an exclusive as "hostage-taking", even if the game was published and green-lit by the company that built the console and may well never have been made at all if the console manufacturer wasn't looking to move units.

/rant (sorry, I'm normally friendlier, this has just grated on me for months now).

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
JarinArenos said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
I love his show, what I don't like are bloody parrots that end up doing the whole "PC master race" joke he'd made and turned into something worse.
Fan bases always DO have a tendency to misinterpret things. Heck, even using the term "Master Race" was meant to be an insult as that term is the kind of thing used solely by idiots who like to believe a Master Race exists in the first place.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Branindain said:
The PC fanboy mentality has become by far the most annoying thing about frequenting this site (and bear in mind, this is the site that regurgitates the same 500-post argument every time Anita Sarkeesian farts). As someone who plays his PC more often than his consoles, I have started thinking of myself as a console player because they're so annoying to associate with. Not all of them of course, but the ones that are so SMUG and so unwilling to accept that anyone could have a valid reason to want a console. And the 20 people who post in every thread just to say "Yeah, I don't need a console, I've got my PC and my Steam sale backlog" in a desperate quest for approval. And especially, ESPECIALLY the entitled people who refer to any situation where a console has an exclusive as "hostage-taking", even if the game was published and green-lit by the company that built the console and may well never have been made at all if the console manufacturer wasn't looking to move units.

/rant (sorry, I'm normally friendlier, this has just grated on me for months now).
Console fanboys are no better really. It's just that they say things that isn't true actually. So many of them have been saying that the new consoles were going to be more powerful than a PC and would continue to be so for years. Yes, they are actually claiming that. Console fanboys often bicker among themselves which piece of hardware is better and which has the better graphics. The moment a PC user points out that PCs are much more powerful then graphics and hardware doesn't matter. If we are discussing the Wii VS PS3/Xbox 360 then graphics matter. If we are discussing the Wii U VS the Xbox One/PS4 then graphics matter. If we are discussing the PS4 vs PC then graphics don't matter at all.

It's not a matter of PC fanboys being worse. It's a lot more simple than that. Discussing any subject with someone who's frothing at the mouth as he makes his point which only covers his side of the case then that's obviously going to be a waste of time. Any kind is just as annoying. Try discussing gun control with someone who's completely convinced it will reduce the murder rates or someone who is convinced the world was created by a higher power. Most likely this will end up looking the same (in terms of annoyance) as someone who's convinced that the Wii U is going to dominate the market in 6 months.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Aiddon said:
JarinArenos said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Fan bases always DO have a tendency to misinterpret things. Heck, even using the term "Master Race" was meant to be an insult as that term is the kind of thing used solely by idiots who like to believe a Master Race exists in the first place.
Everyone knew it was satirical - but the "PC Gaming Master Race" adopted it as a title because it was very fitting to their mindset. They way they view console wars - petty gripes between two inferior opponents - reinforces this belief (right or not) that they're a step above them. But it was, at the time, mostly a joke; consoles were still competing with PCs, largely because they had a reason to exist.

Times have changed, though. As much as this review is made to amuse, its underlying point is quite correct; consoles these days are watered down PCs on lockdown by the manufacturer in order to gouge as much money from consumers as possible. There's no competition, there's no reason to give good deals. Everything is run by a single company, and what that company says, goes. PC had always gotten around that, but today does an even greater job, offering unbeatable discounts from myriad sites all competing with one another, which, in the end, means the consumers get a better deal.

In the era when consoles could boast superior graphical fidelity, that was a +1 to them, but now they're worse graphically (by far, it's not even comparable really) and the gen has barely started. In a few short years PCs will be lightyears ahead, instead of just the few miles it's ahead already. Consoles are playing catch-up to a market that passed them by in 2008, and they're only hampered by the inability to upgrade individual components (a problem the steambox is attempting to fix, if all the hype is true... but I'm not holding out a ton of hope, despite being a valve "fanboi," I don't think their first attempt at a console will be terribly amazing, even if it's got revolutionary ideas).

When consoles were plug-and-play, where popping a disc in and turning the power on was all you needed to do, that was a huge leg up over the amount of preparation needed to game on PC. Installation, patching, etc all required a not-ignorable amount of time, and (in the 90s) serial codes got popular, and sometimes were buggy so you had to contact support and get issues fixed... etc. But now, consoles have lost this point, too. Consoles themselves have to be connected to the 'net for firmware updates for the system and accoutrements (like kinect, for example, which often takes ~10-15 minutes alone to update) and patches for various games, in addition to often required-pay services for simple things like online multiplayer. XBL was a neat service, but $50 for a year? $50 plus the ads that get shoved down your throat on an online service you're already paying to access? That just shows precisely what the company cares about; money over consumer comfort. Expect more of that this gen, it's not going away because console players don't seem to mind getting fucked in the ass and having their wallets raped.

As it stands, consoles have lost all "point" to existing. They are flat inferior gaming platforms to PCs from every objective viewpoint - smaller library, lack of backwards compatibility, worse hardware that only gets more and more dated as time goes on, being locked into a paid service to access any online features and being at the mercy of the company because of it. Exclusive games used to be a way for companies to attempt to compete; "oh hey, I'll release this thing for PS2, in addition to all the other reasons to buy a PS2, please buy a PS2 and my game!" But now, "all the other reasons" have evaporated. What was once icing on the cake of console gaming has become the bread, meat, cheese and lettuce all at once. The only reason to continue existing. And, as Yahtzee put it, that's not a feature anymore. It's not enticing. It's holding a title hostage, because the equation has become "hrm... is that single game worth the price of the game and the price of the whole console?"

The answer, obviously, is no. No single game is worth $460 or more.

I'd love to return to a time when consoles are the superior option for gaming; or, at least, a time when consoles had multiple strengths, simplicity of use and no bullshit patching. When 4 people could take an N64 and play goldeneye without logging into XBL or even being online at all. But because the companies holding the leash on each console are only interested in gouging as much money as possible from anyone still silly enough to hang around the console town, those companies have no interest in going back to those times. They have no incentive; if they can pillage the wallets of devoted followers, why stop?

Because of that, what was once merely a joke, a satirical jab at PC gamers and their often elitist attitude, has become reality. PCs truly are the best consoles right now; nothing else can come even close. Consoles have lost their way, and until they find it again, they will be playing the catch-up game with a competitor that left them in the dust halfway through last gen.

That, in a nutshell, is Yahtzee's point.

Antsh

May 15, 2012
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Time to look back through the archive and see how this episode compares with his last evaluation of 'next-gen' consoles goes. I'm guessing it's almost identical in feel if not in details.

That said, the cynicism has a certain appeal. Maybe it's because I'm older and more jaded, or maybe this is the first step on the road to Video Game Apocalypse.
Pretty close. Most likely has to do with the holiday, re-editing old footage is probably a nice way to spend less time on the video this week.