Zero Punctuation: Nier

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Was it just me or was this one not as funny as the rest? Maybe I'm just tired. The end gave me a smile though =)

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
I was actually glad to see this one reviewed because I had no idea what it was. I'd seen the name bouncing around and had tried to go to the official website, but then my browser froze up on me at the loading screen, and apparently summoning the doubtless inhuman effort required to try again or check Wikipedia was out of the question. It looks interesting, actually, since I haven't played one of these games since Squaresoft stopped being Squaresoft. (Not out of any particular dissatisfaction with the games or anything, I just think that was right around the time when I started preferring my games to involve a bit more guns and screaming.)

Then again, I thought The Witcher "looked interesting" too, at least enough to pick it up during the Steam annual sale, and that's currently gathering cobwebs somewhere in the deepest darkest recesses of my hard drive. Oh well, that's what rentals are for.

Raeil

Nov 18, 2009
While I agree that it wasn't the greatest game, I do believe it's worth at least a rent. Especially for the music... which Yahtzee apparently wasn't listening to. There are only two areas of the game where there is even a close resemblance to a 10-second loop, while the rest of the game is filled with some of the best music I've heard (it's replaced Chrono Cross as my favorite OST). Ah well, at least the review was still entertaining.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Wow, ive never heard of this game before either.

Very funny and loved the Puns thrown in. Over all a very funny review.

John_Dillinger

May 6, 2010
I think it's going to come to a point where square enix are going to try hide realeses from Yahtzee as long as possible... They seem the kind of people who would actually care about the verbal onslaught. That is the much deserved onslaught!

Roseveare

Nov 19, 2009
Yahtzee, all that opium you're smoking isn't doing anything for your voice. Also, a major problem when using non-symetric character models in flash/windows movie maker/whatever program you use to make these things is when you flip them horozontally, you end up with numerous continuity issues for example, Nier's eye-patch appearing to jump from one eye to other when flipped to face the other way. (Did I need to bring it up, no, but oh well.)

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hmmm I might be interested in trying this game out
once I've played RDR and FFXIII that is
and that may take a whlie
assuming I ever get my hands on them

Nay-Owe-Me

Jul 9, 2010
The whole "three bits of masking tape" thing is already quite prevalent in the realm of Japanese amateur and fan art. Actually, most of the time it's usually band-aids for some reason. Figure that one out.

Xedefan

Oct 16, 2010
I just beat the game, and I loved it, and I`m pretty sure that it was an homage to Zelda, because of how the king picks up the mask. They also do resident evil, with the manor that Emil lives in, with the damned fixed camera and the special keys.

Ghonesis

Feb 15, 2011
Since I'm lazy enough to not read the last 8 pages of posts:
Had somebody already mentioned that 'hier' 'pier' and 'bier' are all Dutch words?

hier = here
pier = jetty or breakwater
bier = beer

Not that anybody's gonna read this, remembering how old this video actually is.

johnfr33man

Jul 16, 2011
In terms of bad reviews I found this "Zero Punctuation" review particularly insulting as it was referring to aspects of the game like the Junkyard boss as "ripping off Windwaker" when it clearly is an allusion to it ("The mouth? What an obvious weakpoint!"). Another example is Kainé's outfit when Weiss is clearly making references to it.The review is rile with things like that and downright badly researched.

Made me stop watching this series altogether.

I wouldn't recommend this review for anyone who is thinking of purchasing this game and would like to refer to Seth Schiesel's review with the NY Times for a more unbiased opinion: www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/arts/television/04nier.html

Carly Newbold

May 28, 2012
The Japanese version has a skinny teenage boy instead of a grown man.
Manly Men Doing Manly Things is doing a story ark about it right now.