Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Russ Pitts said:
Video server broke in the transition to the new company. Now it's fixed!
Oh, great! Maybe next up get the volume to default to something other than "off"... I know, baby steps.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Pyrian said:
Oh, great! Maybe next up get the volume to default to something other than "off"... I know, baby steps.
Y'know, no one asked, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

It's all very easy from the comfort of our wingback chairs, sipping on single malt Scotch, to snark at the site operators. But I think few would credibly dispute that this site has been subjected to benign neglect for years, and that people who aren't steeped in computer arcana may not appreciate just how rapidly maintenance and technical debt can accumulate over time.

By way of analogy, you've just arrived on the property, did a top-to-bottom inspection of the building and, while the foundation and main structural members are sound, the plumbing is clogged/leaking/rusting, there's black mold hiding in far too many places, some of the windows are broken and none of them open/close properly, and someone in the distant past jammed pennies in the fusebox which means the electrics are probably suspect.

You get to fix all that, while keeping the building open.

Here's the good news: The previous owners didn't have the resources or people to address those issues. The new owners (presumably) do, and things will gradually and visibly improve. But first they have to shovel out the debris.

So... Dunno about you guys, but I'm gonna refill my Glencairn glass and wait patiently...

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Yeah, yeah, baby steps. There's plenty of things to fix, some of which already have been, and that's great, no snark needed. But the basic user experience of the one show that's been going the whole time? It should be a priority, that's all I'm saying.