Zero Punctuation or Zero...Imagination?

Gigantor

Dec 26, 2007
I'd imagine it would piss him off, though it's got to be flattering on some level. But I suspect he's also smart enough to understand how Capitalism works: when someone hits upon a good, cost effective idea, it's going to get the heck copied out of it. I'll take competition over monopolies any day, personally.

Anyone noticed how there seem to be about three parallel threads running Yahtzee? I'd start to get a bit scared if I were he...

stoneystomp

Jan 27, 2008
The Gil-Monster said:
Melaisis said:
I think we all can start to get offended when someone comes out with something better than Yahtzee, but in his style.
But then it would never be better than Yahtzee because he's the one that started it. I suggest you get offended when people waaaaay less creative than Yahtzee get a buttload of money to make a technically superior product, without realizing that it's the WRITING that counts.

Like, for example, Spill.com. It's well drawn and nicely animated. But you can put a pink bow on manure and it'll still bring flies. The reviews are tedious, uninspirational, soulless, and hackneyed affairs.

I'm watching the review for One Missed Call because I figure what makes or breaks a critic in the entertainment biz is their treatment of a bad film. My wife is occupied and can't see the screen:

Spill.com Guy #1: Man, this movie... it just *BLEEEEEP!*
Spill.com Guy #2: Dude, you said it; it was so *BLEEEEEEEEEEP!*ing terrible. Man!
Wife (to me): What are you watching?
Me: Um... an animated movie review.
Wife: THAT'S an animation? It sounds like two guys sitting at a desk!!!
Me: Um... yes. That's what it is. An animation of two guys sitting at a desk. (leaves site forever).

What really annoys me about Spill.com is a quote lingering in the back of my mind from David Bowie, regarding fame and stardom: "It's not who does it first," (Zero Punctuation) "...it's who does it second." Let's hope that doesn't apply.
First time poster, though I've been hanging around for a couple of weeks
I've seen the Spill site and I guess I thought it was OK because I thought that was the point - to talk about movies the way my friends and I would. I mean, i'm only early 20's and I'm a movie lover, not a critic so it appeals to me.
But i do agree that their reviews are hit or miss. some are pretty funny, i think.

The Gil-Monster

Nov 26, 2007
stoneystomp said:
I've seen the Spill site and I guess I thought it was OK because I thought that was the point - to talk about movies the way my friends and I would. I mean, i'm only early 20's and I'm a movie lover, not a critic so it appeals to me.
But i do agree that their reviews are hit or miss. some are pretty funny, i think.
Fair enough. Maybe Zero Punctuation has spoiled me. I'll also state that I've worked as a cartoonist, and I'm biased towards cartoons that are too rooted in realism.

Yes, I know- 'toons with talking animals are harder to swap out of a newspaper's circulation than those with an all-human cast, because audiences glom onto animals.

But if Spill.com had at least one talking animal I'd probably be happier. Ironically, I might even find it more human. :p

stoneystomp

Jan 27, 2008
The Gil-Monster said:
stoneystomp said:
Fair enough. Maybe Zero Punctuation has spoiled me. I'll also state that I've worked as a cartoonist, and I'm biased towards cartoons that are too rooted in realism.

Yes, I know- 'toons with talking animals are harder to swap out of a newspaper's circulation than those with an all-human cast, because audiences glom onto animals.

But if Spill.com had at least one talking animal I'd probably be happier. Ironically, I might even find it more human. :p
Hey, isn't irony fun? I think those are pretty fair points. Spill seems to be pretty young still, maybe they'll do that too. hell, they have that robot.

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
Personally, I don't think I'd judge something because it's similar to something else. I'm going to judge it based on how good it is. It seems a bit of a trend that the copycats aren't as good as the originals, but that isn't always the case. Can I give any examples? No, no I don't think I can. Yet.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
the thig about a "riped-off" review is that the only way to call it so is to see it. one of the zero-ish reviews isnt a atempt to make somthing "like" its to make something that "is". he changed his voice to remove the gaps between words. Thats just too far, doing someting thats simaler is ok and even great. But trying to sound like him is "> <" that far away from creapy. if somebody want to do it for fun OK if somebody does it for popularty and to take creidt then F#$K OFF

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
I'd like to see what he thinks of this...

But anyway, I wouldn't worry, because quite frankly, rip-offs suck, and garner praise primarily from what I perceive as shallow people who think it's "cool" to go with the less popular alternative. It's like mentally handicapped people trying out for the real Olympics, because they 'won' in the Special Olympics. Even if their friends applaud them, they aren't gonna qualify, and the genuine athletes probably wouldn't view them as competition.

There are idiots, assholes, and lazy people everywhere, but most of them are ultimately harmless. Most of them are probably not worth the trouble.

Drong

Oct 31, 2007
So are you thinking of giving it a go Gigantor? If so I'd like to see what you come up with, your reviews do use a lot of the same sorts of humour (sarcasm, Bluntness, Obscenities, Amusing similes and metaphors) but then again these are common to alot of comedy particually british comody and the general tone and feel of your reviews is different to ZP and it could translate well.

The animation side of it however could be tricky, the still images thing would be fine but you would have to make sure you find your own style in that too and not just ZP with different characters.

Unfortunately even if you do it well you will still end up with some people crying that you are infringing on his style but you've got to expect that and not let it put you off as some people on here just like to whinge really.

child of lileth

The Norway Italian
Jun 10, 2009
I've actually never seen the people trying to be like him yet. I usually don't go out of my way to look for those videos though, so I'm sure that's why.

Anytime someone has a catchy gimmick, there's going to be someone to try to rip it off.

Reolus

Mar 11, 2010
The way I read your perspective is "God dammit those athletes are good at running and jumping and stuff, but they don't own the rights to running and jumping. So by God, I am going to run and jump and be good at it - pay attention to me!"

You don't need an original idea to succeed - Tolkien wrote a book. Imagine that! Book-writing is hardly new ground. The secret to success lay in meeting a need and doing it well, making one or two interesting and different changes.

Yahtzee came into the scene as an honest and entertaining fellow who combined comedy and informative review. The images he uses add impact to his punchlines. The delivery is intelligent and well-constructed and as it has a formulaic approach, viewers continue to watch for the repeated experience.

I don't think anyone else was prominently using humour as a genre to convey video game information reviews, so the fact that he did made him stand out.

If you emulate him, you will be compared to him. What you have to think about is: Where can I go from here? What can I do differently?

Maybe you could do video game reviews in song! Now THAT would get you some attention. ;)

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
oh, ic. After reading your first sentence I agree, though I did enjoy one youtube video stylized in his graphical way. At least, I enjoyed it ONCE. and only once before it got stupid.

Though I am not sure you should be making this notification, as a lot of people aren't trying and when you compare their style to copying yahtzee's it pisses them off and that' snot good because they're using their style and can't hellp that they can't break out of hte mold and be totally new and unique like some people..

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
It does remind me of Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe in many ways. Though that was about TV. There is a one off special called Gameswipe which was oh so wrong in many ways, especially all the made up retro games.

Randomologist

Aug 6, 2008
As far as I can see, Yahtzee has made somewhat of a success out of the aforementioned basic animation, quick-fire talking and quick puns, but I liken this to the way Henry Ford cobbled together mass-production, the colour black and standardised components to create a Model T. By your logic, if videos similar to Yahtzees are Yahtzee-esque, then by extension all cars are Ford-esque because they have similar characteristics. One who defines a system is not necessarily its namesake.

I hope this made sense XD