Zero Punctuation: Overlord 2

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
Another amusing instalment of the only reason Wednesday is worth getting up for. That... and my job and shit -_-

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Chesterfield Snapdragon McFisticuffs said:
Why is it that the first couple of posters on ZP threads are always attacked by the Banhammer. It's not like theyr saying anything strictly offensive.
That's because Escapist Magazine's admin staff takes pride of teaching little internet vermin that "first!" is not the basis of a good post, no matter how they might try to disguise it.

crazy-j

Sep 15, 2008
well i personally really enjoyed the game but he had some good points and hilarious as usual

burninfidels

Jul 16, 2009
Captain Pancake said:
burninfidels said:
Captain Pancake said:
ok, who the hell is that guy in the photo he always uses?
You mean the chaotic evil guy? Charles Manson, of course.
no, the bland-faced one he's been using since forever.
That must be Peter Molyneux. An old, sometimes over-ambitious game designer. Unless you meant David Bowie or Holy Father, lol

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
burninfidels said:
Captain Pancake said:
burninfidels said:
Captain Pancake said:
ok, who the hell is that guy in the photo he always uses?
You mean the chaotic evil guy? Charles Manson, of course.
no, the bland-faced one he's been using since forever.
That must be Peter Molyneux. An old, sometimes over-ambitious game designer. Unless you meant David Bowie or Holy Father, lol
no, i don't think it's him...

it's the picture with the bland faced, no smiling, curly haired guy in a suit.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I'm sorry but after 6 pages of comments I'm not understanding this notion that Overlord being linked to Pikmin is a minority view with users going "glad I'm not the only one who thought that"...

...it was said in prior reviews, players and has been on the first's wikipedia page for God knows how long.

Epic_Rocker

Mar 15, 2009
For once in a game, you would have been better off with the console version because the controls are a lot easier. >< Great job as usual however. ^^;

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I played the first overlord, and the OL2 demo (ps3). I'm surprised how many people posting haven't touched Overlord are already declaring the game bad. It's not for everyone, sure, but it's far from fun. It's a hoot if you're easily amused.

The whole game delivers tongue-in-cheek humor with its game play. In OL1 and OL2, the greatest source of souls (that translates into your minions) are woodland creatures (sheep) and other cute things (baby seals). It's not delivered with brutal realism, but rather a shiny grim sense of humor.

In the OL2 Demo, you're stalking a Yeti in the frozen...somewhere. An eskimo gets between you and the yeti, and declares it his find. The yeti smashes the eskimo and slaps him into orbit. Elves interfere with your killing of baby seals. But they're not your Lord of the Rings elves. No-no, they're hippies!

The game deserves trying before buying. It's linear, that's true. And the moral choice system in OL1 was Evil, or Very Evil (kill the villagers, or merely enslave them). But don't take Yahtzees' word for it alone. Play the demo, THEN make your decision (as you should in any situation).

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
This wasn't really that funny to me, nor were the last ones for Ghostbusters and Sims 3. Maybe it's because I haven't played any of these games besides a demo of Ghostbusters, but I just can't see how these last three reviews were so funny.

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
How weird, between Pikmin and Overlord the funner one is the one where you're controlling plants in a big garden. You would think it would be the one designed to cause chaos, but obviously not. I enjoyed the semi-colon.

shadebug

Mar 26, 2008
How is it that Dungeon Keeper has only been mentioned twice in all of this and only as brief soundbites? Seems this game is clearly a rallying cry for all people who love evil to mob EA and get them to resurrect Bullfrog

keithburgun

Aug 1, 2007
You know what's really great about these ZP reviews that I just realized? The fact that he does not show the game, but instead explains the core mechanics. We need to start looking at games this way more often.

Syntax Man

Apr 8, 2008
Maybe his precious PC gaming is starting to show age eh?, or perhaps he should have just plugged in a wired 360 controller seeing as how they work on both PC's and the game >_>. As he has often achieved with his videos its funny but i heartily disagree with him. On a side not he couldn't have missed the point of the graveyard worse if he was aiming in the opposite direction. And why for Christ's sake didn't he mention the brilliant writing?

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Only played the Overlord 2 demo, but I do think I prefer the original. A lot more free-roaming and didn't take long for stuff to load. Especially with the Raising Hell expansion. Console version is easier for Minion sweeping, but not Overlord 2 since that also controls the camera, which is annoying, whilst Overlord only relied on a press on L1/LB to centre the camera behind the Overlord, which isn't that hard to do. I'm still gonna try and play the shit out of Overlord: Raising Hell, but I probably won't get Overlord 2

Nemorov

May 20, 2009
Why can't these "making chaos and evilness" games be more fun? That makes me so sad.