Zero Punctuation: Painkiller

KBKarma

May 14, 2008
I CANNOT, for the life of me, get the video to run. Using Opera 9.50 beta, build 10005.

Also, why was the Escapist dying every so often?

Razorgaunt

May 6, 2008
While I generally agree this was a good game, and it cuts right to the action.

While this isn't really a complaint, I just have to wonder on some games, just how much crap is this guy carrying behind his back? I mean he'd have to be dragging a Home Depot behind him to supply the ammo and guns. "Whole trees" indeed.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
KBKarma said:
I CANNOT, for the life of me, get the video to run. Using Opera 9.50 beta, build 10005.

the massive amount of traffic.

Lupie

May 14, 2008
I have to say, this review's done something great: it has encouraged me to seek out, buy and play a lesser-known studio's only release. Yahtzee has brought the work of some little studio - someone's labour of love, someone's real hard work - to a big audience. People will play this game and remember it! And that's wonderful. :)

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
KBKarma said:

Was this a result of the new layout? I also can't get the video to load, and if I refresh, firefox just takes me to the 404 error.

AJwins

May 21, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
As one of the first few to post in this thread, I would like to establish some "implied yet unwritten" rules/guidelines, because I'm not a mod and I don't expect everyone to follow these, but for the greater good of this thread, PLEASE follow them as best as you can! -and Remember, I am condemning out of love, not hate (sort of)

[li]NO ASS KISSING! Yahtzee hates it when people call flawed work flawless, so give the guy some criticism, it's the best thing an artist can get.
[/li]

[li]No flaming either! If you disagree with Yahtzee, say why, and then criticize him, preferably constructively.
[/li]

[li] NO ONE POST WONDERS! IF YOU ARE GOING TO REGISTER JUST TO SAY 'LOL YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD, GOOD JOB! BEST ONE YET! LOLOLOOLLOLOLOLOL OR ANYTHING OF THAT NATURE....DON'T! If you register, make your post worthwhile, because one post wonders have an opinion that is worth practically NOTHING, if you make an account, browse the other forums, or just do something other than kiss Yahtzee's ass![/li]

[li]SERIOUSLY! NO ASS KISSING![/li] The Ass kissers are worse than the flamers, the flamers still actually contribute by giving (whether it be good or bad) criticism, ass kissers just make the thread grow until it bursts with bile! DON'T DO IT!

Thanks for listening! Chances are this will be completely ignored anyway! Happy posting!

Yeah, because a non-mod posting "What not to do or you'll piss off Yahtzee" isn't kissing any ass at all.

DonPauliani

Jan 23, 2008
I believe it was Yahtzee in his Guitar Hero III review where he described the feeling of unease you get when something so familiar, intimate and lovable suddenly gets a face-lift-- as if a man had entered your house thinly disguised as a friend and you're unsure of its intentions. That's how I feel about Yahtzee's new page: I've grown accustomed to the old face and now, I'm unsure and scared.

KBKarma

May 14, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
KBKarma said:

Was this a result of the new layout? I also can't get the video to load, and if I refresh, firefox just takes me to the 404 error.
Dunno. Can't get it to work in IE7 either. I'm downloading the player (it's available here [http://flowplayer.org/download.html]), and will see what I can do later on.

EDIT: Ummm... just started playing. Might have been traffic. I opened the page, and let it sit for a bit.

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
Christ - after all that waiting, Yahtzee blows my head off with shurikens and lightning.

I remember playing Painkiller some years ago at an internet cafe, and realised almost instantly that I was vastly superior to all the rabid CS cretins sat around me, bitching about Deagle whoring and camping.

Who needs flashbangs when you're nailing cackling witches to the wall?

A great review - worth the wait.

Bfox

Nov 18, 2007
Awsome, yes Yahtzee, thank you for pointing out what happened to Doom 3 and its un-actioness lets hope Doom 4 picks itself up as a better game...

Unlikely though eh?

This has got my instrest in playing Painkiller, although I tried playing the demo of the newer one and was stunned at how bad it was..

MikePhilbin

Mar 15, 2008
haha Painkiller - KILL EVERYTHING - yeah, that's just one relentless gore-piled purgatory of FPS death dealing. I wasn't even gonna drop a link to my gaming blog this week, I was just gonna thank the fedora'd man (suck deep, suck long) for his side-splitting eye-creaming nostalgia-review goodness.

Last week it was the Euphoria (how not to) synergy, this week it's the FPS synergy and something called MIRROR'S EDGE (apparently, a skeleton under the FPS camera's the new mip-mapping, or something) [http://mikephilbin.blogspot.com/2008/05/mirrors-edge-aka-skeleton-under-camera.html].

Keep doing what you're doing, Ben, classy shit.

PS: June Update - there's a suggestion the beloved UFC 2009 trailer [http://mikephilbin.blogspot.com/2007/07/ufc-2009-amazing-ingame-footage.html] everyone's raving about is a blue-screen job. Really. That's what I thought, too. Can't be.

fundude365

Dec 12, 2007
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
As one of the first few to post in this thread, I would like to establish some "implied yet unwritten" rules/guidelines, because I'm not a mod and I don't expect everyone to follow these, but for the greater good of this thread, PLEASE follow them as best as you can! -and Remember, I am condemning out of love, not hate (sort of)

[li]NO ASS KISSING! Yahtzee hates it when people call flawed work flawless, so give the guy some criticism, it's the best thing an artist can get.
[/li]

[li]No flaming either! If you disagree with Yahtzee, say why, and then criticize him, preferably constructively.
[/li]

[li] NO ONE POST WONDERS! IF YOU ARE GOING TO REGISTER JUST TO SAY 'LOL YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD, GOOD JOB! BEST ONE YET! LOLOLOOLLOLOLOLOL OR ANYTHING OF THAT NATURE....DON'T! If you register, make your post worthwhile, because one post wonders have an opinion that is worth practically NOTHING, if you make an account, browse the other forums, or just do something other than kiss Yahtzee's ass![/li]

[li]SERIOUSLY! NO ASS KISSING![/li] The Ass kissers are worse than the flamers, the flamers still actually contribute by giving (whether it be good or bad) criticism, ass kissers just make the thread grow until it bursts with bile! DON'T DO IT!

Thanks for listening! Chances are this will be completely ignored anyway! Happy posting!
I am intrigued by the points you raise here and would like to sign up for your newsletter.

twilight_dweller

Sep 22, 2007
Huh, and here I was looking forward to a "The World Ends With You" review.

Eh. In any case, at least we could get to see reviews of games that came to be, before he started reviewing.

I've never played Painkiller, though from your explanation it sounds a bit simple. I'm left wondering if the main character doesn't at least shoot out one-liners a la Duke Nukem.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
i carnt get any vidios on the web at all apparently my Media player carnt connect to the internet ive loaded the vidio a couple of times so it said click here to veiw then it just messes up and doesnt load.