Zero Punctuation: Painkiller

Bombader

Nov 21, 2007
Awesome retro, makes me want to play the game again.

I really liked the gun that fired bullets and rockets though.

leverus

May 21, 2008
Another wednesday made funnier! :)

Agreed on the shuriken/lightning gun - that was the badassest-est weapon ever..

The story was tolerable, though you had to be sleep-deprived or worse for it to make sense.

GokoWildheart

Apr 24, 2008
Painkiller is one for the phew FPS i enjoy and still play every now and then. I just miss the old days were it was just get from a to b through Massive group of monsters Z using what ever weapons you want. If they left the story line at that and the cut sences out i would love this game so much.

Thanks Yahtzee for taking the time to route around for a game in the dry period of gaming caladers for a lovely if not small gem.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
AJwins said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
As one of the first few to post in this thread, I would like to establish some "implied yet unwritten" rules/guidelines, because I'm not a mod and I don't expect everyone to follow these, but for the greater good of this thread, PLEASE follow them as best as you can! -and Remember, I am condemning out of love, not hate (sort of)

[li]NO ASS KISSING! Yahtzee hates it when people call flawed work flawless, so give the guy some criticism, it's the best thing an artist can get.
[/li]

[li]No flaming either! If you disagree with Yahtzee, say why, and then criticize him, preferably constructively.
[/li]

[li] NO ONE POST WONDERS! IF YOU ARE GOING TO REGISTER JUST TO SAY 'LOL YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD, GOOD JOB! BEST ONE YET! LOLOLOOLLOLOLOLOL OR ANYTHING OF THAT NATURE....DON'T! If you register, make your post worthwhile, because one post wonders have an opinion that is worth practically NOTHING, if you make an account, browse the other forums, or just do something other than kiss Yahtzee's ass![/li]

[li]SERIOUSLY! NO ASS KISSING![/li] The Ass kissers are worse than the flamers, the flamers still actually contribute by giving (whether it be good or bad) criticism, ass kissers just make the thread grow until it bursts with bile! DON'T DO IT!

Thanks for listening! Chances are this will be completely ignored anyway! Happy posting!

Yeah, because a non-mod posting "What not to do or you'll piss off Yahtzee" isn't kissing any ass at all.
Touche. By the way he forgot to add 'Stop trying to use the smartest sounding vocab you can in an attempt to be like Yahtzee'

fundude365

Dec 12, 2007
Crap_haT said:
I'm not going to lie, that was a good review. Made me laugh more than ususal. Also, I have been having some loading problems. Has the Escapist had an update or change?

ElArabDeMagnifico said:
As one of the first few to post in this thread, I would like to establish some "implied yet unwritten" rules/guidelines, because I'm not a mod and I don't expect everyone to follow these, but for the greater good of this thread, PLEASE follow them as best as you can! -and Remember, I am condemning out of love, not hate (sort of)

[li]NO ASS KISSING! Yahtzee hates it when people call flawed work flawless, so give the guy some criticism, it's the best thing an artist can get.
[/li]

[li]No flaming either! If you disagree with Yahtzee, say why, and then criticize him, preferably constructively.
[/li]

[li] NO ONE POST WONDERS! IF YOU ARE GOING TO REGISTER JUST TO SAY 'LOL YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD, GOOD JOB! BEST ONE YET! LOLOLOOLLOLOLOLOL OR ANYTHING OF THAT NATURE....DON'T! If you register, make your post worthwhile, because one post wonders have an opinion that is worth practically NOTHING, if you make an account, browse the other forums, or just do something other than kiss Yahtzee's ass![/li]

[li]SERIOUSLY! NO ASS KISSING![/li] The Ass kissers are worse than the flamers, the flamers still actually contribute by giving (whether it be good or bad) criticism, ass kissers just make the thread grow until it bursts with bile! DON'T DO IT!

Thanks for listening! Chances are this will be completely ignored anyway! Happy posting!
You can go suck a dick. It is not your place to enforce these rules, allow the stupids to have their fun; that way you don't send them into a spiral of depression and have law suites shoved up your ass. I really hate it when people take it upon their self to enforce the supposed rules. Contact a mod if you want a message put out, because then you'll only sound a dick in front of him.
NO!... Don't flame him... your only proving his point!

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Although Serious Sam is a similar concept, it's far worse for being monotonous, slow (especially when you have to walk 2 miles to get to anywhere), and uninspiring. 95% of battles in that were just shooting large swarms of the same enemy with enevitably a shotgun.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Hedberger said:
What happened to the old reviews? Will they be re-added to the site later on?
Yes, all the old reviews will be added.

The issues today were due to a mixup with the caching code and the new sections of the site. Everything should be quick now.

Poptart Fairy

Jan 31, 2008
Xen Monkey said:
I actually bought Painkiller soon after if came out, and it was pretty fun. (Though yeah. Story = Shit).

I thought it was a shame that most people probably didn't get to the last level, because IIRC the level design was fucking amazing.

Must see if I have it at home anywhere still...
Oh yes, definitely. I think it was one of the best and most original interpretations of hell I've seen in any media. :>

Surprising review, but accurate. Painkiller boils the genre down its core parts and pulls those off fantastically well. Just...you know, don't expect anything else.

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
I'm using IE7 and I cannot get the video to work. Does this have to do with the new format? This is the first time I can't get the video to work.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
To alleviate confusion

Our video player is a Flash player. It runs on the internet. You do not need to download it. If you download it, it will not help you. Unless you want to install a flash video player on your own website, to serve your own flash videos, there is no reason at all for any normal person to download the files.

Please excuse the server problems - they're unrelated to the videos, but have decided to pop up at pretty much the worst time they could. We're still working out the kinks in the rest of the video system, so expect tweaks over the next week or so.

Kayevcee

Mar 5, 2008
I love Serious Sam. And the sequel. It's just *fun*. Sounds like I'll love this too. I must go hunting next time I'm in GAME.

-Nick

Takhisis

Feb 2, 2008
OK.....to all of those that are flaming this great game

YOU SUCK!! I love this game as it was one of the more difficult yet cruelly funny games Ive played in a long while

Now it's sequel Overdose has much to be desired but it still shares elements of the original like it's UNFUCKINGFAIR difficulty......

I think this game was great due to its random level/shoot anything that moves game style

and when I can ever load this damn vid Ill see what my bro Yahtzee has to say about it

and to the escapist.....please restore the video feeds back to the way they were....cause now I cant look at them at work

Thank You

*waits to be ignored or flamed*

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
Unfortunatly, the Mod gods decided to delete the steps I posted on ensuring that your player will work...their runnable with the FLA Runtime didn't include a full Installer for the extensions required, or at least it failed 95% of the time. If you download the sample, it includes a sample that always installs correctly.

It's an issue with their FLA Release Extensions that they need to check on.

[Edit: What I mean is, know that there IS an install that runs, however, it is SUPPOSED to install automagically when you run the player, but it is faulty (bad code) in the one that ZP seems to be using. This initiative came by a few years back when you had to install stuff just so you could watch Youtube, so Adobe was gracious enough to provide a way to do what all the other assembly languages to: have an include which installs the required files to display the plug-in. It's not anyone at TE's fault, possibly just a bad sync from the player's source or something. My steps include ways to ensure it works because once you get past that install step, your player has no issues.]

Takhisis

Feb 2, 2008
Bob_F_It said:
Good review; shame we had to wait nearly 3 extra hours for it. Since I enjoyed Black (another first person shoot-the-hell-out-of-everything-er) I might consider hunting that down.

Nice to see that you can start with being positive games again too.

Can we get a sequel to Black please? That game was sweet

Feb 13, 2008
Virgil said:
To alleviate confusion
Please excuse the server problems - they're unrelated to the videos, but have decided to pop up at pretty much the worst time they could. We're still working out the kinks in the rest of the video system, so expect tweaks over the next week or so.
I guessed there was some glitches going on Virgil, but it's a little frustrating. Is there any way we can get a clue that it's not our router's going down?

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Well, that was a good review for a game I had no clue about. I had wondered about it since the Painkiller theater, but I never got around to looking it up. Also, am I the only one who doesn't like the new video screen and such? Just curious (Only read a few comments, so I don't know if anyone else brought this up).

Takhisis

Feb 2, 2008
Bob_F_It said:
Good review; shame we had to wait nearly 3 extra hours for it. Since I enjoyed Black (another first person shoot-the-hell-out-of-everything-er) I might consider hunting that down.

Nice to see that you can start with being positive games again too.

Can we get a sequel to Black please? That game was sweet

tomfox

May 21, 2008
At the risk of breaking one of those non-moderator rules, I'm gonna wish Yahtzee a happy upcoming birthday or so Wikipedia would have me believe is an upcoming birthday.

Thanks for the reviews dude, I love each and every one especially the last one :D

Tom

Teleios

Aug 5, 2003
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Virgil said:
To alleviate confusion
I guessed there was some glitches going on Virgil, but it's a little frustrating. Is there any way we can get a clue that it's not our router's going down?
We try to do our best to give notices, however some things are a bit unexpected.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Unfortunately it's difficult to give notices when our site isn't online.