Zero Punctuation: Paper Mario Color Splash

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
LordTerminal said:
Sheo_Dagana said:
LordTerminal said:
Elvis Starburst said:
I'll repeat it again. Unless it's first party, Sony is not involved in the development of the game, and are not responsible for the failures that appear on their platform. Which is also why Valve is not exactly responsible for the failures on their platform. Valve should be less happy to let crap be on there, but if a game turns out bad, that's not their fault
I can still blame them for The Order 1886. That was a First Party and they are responsible for it and every sin against gaming it committed. I can also blame them for ruining God of War by turning it into a shitty Witch wannabe and more of you people should be lambasting them for doing such a thing as much as you've all attacked Nintendo over Metroid and Paper Mario.
Dude, people DID lambast The Order 1886. People DID lambast Halo 5. Every time you post you seem to put across the idea that no one gets to complain about Nintendo's mistakes (of which there are several) just because Sony makes mistakes (of which there are several). The difference is that Sony's mistakes are far outweighed by their successes this time around, while Nintendo is struggling to find success.

Look, you're clearly passionate about Nintendo; I can respect that. It sucks when people (rightfully) criticize something you like. But at this point, judging from the way you completely flipped out on darkrage6, you're clearly not looking to have any kind of actual discussion... you just want to argue.
Except Sony DOESN'T HAVE ANY SUCCESSES OTHER THAN HOW THEY MARKETED THEIR OVERPRICED PIECE OF SHIT CONSOLE AND BRAINWASHED ALL OF YOU IN THE PROCESS! The only things worth playing on the PS4 that aren't 3rd Party titles are Bloodborne and Gravity Rush 2. Wow, I can think of only two games worth playing on it. Everything else they've released is either mediocre or flat out sucks. Stop giving them credit for stuff that isn't fucking there!
Haha, wow... you genuinely make me laugh. Sure, Sony may not have much in the way of exclusives (and I never said they did, because exclusivity is fucking stupid to begin with) but they do have third party support, and Nintendo can't say that about the Wii U, even though they CLAIMED third party support would be adopted more strongly in the Wii U, as that was the major complaint about the Wii, so I'm not holding my breath that the Switch will change that. But hey, I could be surprised. And guess what? I would like nothing more than to BE surprised.

You know what? No. I was going to write up a post about how I don't even own a PS4, but I do own an Xbone and a Wii U, and try to reason with you, but I'm done with that. You aren't the first Nintendrone I've encountered and you certainly won't be the last, but you've got the childish temper of every single one of them that I've met before. I've been reasonable, and so has everyone else, but as Elvis Starburst has pointed out, this probably is not the forum for you, because you are completely unreasonable and don't understand how to structure an argument. You just scream until the other person gets tired and walks away. So, I guess you can count this as a victory for yourself, because I'm pretty much done. You just like to be angry and shout opinions as if they are fact. I hear that's pretty popular at 4chan, but if you insist on sticking around here, I suppose I'll just have to ignore you.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
President Bagel said:
Watching Zero Punctuation without the intro feels kind of awkward and strange. Hope it comes back. Anyways, I really can't tell if LordTerminal is just intentionally trolling this place, or if he's genuinely this fanatical and insecure about people criticising Nintendo.
I've rolled around Wii U forums for the better half of the generation, trust me, it can get worse, and I've seen people just as bad trying to destroy the console as well.

Simply put, these people are not happy, despite what may happen.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Kyle Winston said:
I think the only reason Sticker Star did as well as it did was brand recognition; the first three Paper Mario games were good, so Sticker Star should be as well. Because it was not as well-received, that is why there is so much bias towards Color Splash as opposed to those saying it is anti-Nintendo bias.
Yeah, pretty much what happened with me. "Oh, a new Paper Mario game! Finally!" I said, apparently forgetting the lessons learned from Other M. "I'm going to get it day one and finally get to enjoy more of the Paper Mario series' signatu-oh it's total gobshite with none of the things that made the other games good. Oh."

I couldn't bring myself to play it any further than World 2, what a fucking travesty that game was. So yeah, assuming something similar happened to the rest of the PM fanbase, that's why everyone was telling Nintendo to go fuck themselves and/or coming to terms with their favorite RPG series forever remaining a trilogy when they announced Sticker Star 2: Electric Boogaloo.

So yeah, as a (former?) Paper Mario fan: Fuck Color Splash. Fuck Sticker Star, and fuck Color Splash in particular because it means that the SS model is the new direction for the series going forward. RIP Paper Mario.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
LordTerminal said:
Yes Yahtzee, target the "mixed reviews" but completely ignore Sticker Star's sales figures. ***** about trivial matters like the Toads and how the game's not funny because it's self aware when you yourself haven't been funny in years.
Um, speaking as someone who contributed to SS' sales figures (and regretted it), making money is not a symbol of quality. Especially when most of those sales were driven by brand recognition. Sorta like nobody who knows thing one about audio gear would attest to Beats being good headphones, despite them making cash hand over fist.

And I wouldn't call the game's lack of humor and interesting characters a trivial matter when the series' strongest point has ALWAYS been its writing and humor. That's like saying "Bitching about trivial matters like John Wick 2's lack of good action scenes."

OK, here's a good question then: What did you like about Sticker Star?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
LordTerminal said:
Like Federation Force, this another game that everyone hated before it was released so I will not trust any negative reviews
Will you trust positive reviews? You don't see that as strong bias on your part?

In fact, anyone who agrees with him this time, you are wrong to do so
What if I just don't like the game because it's demonstrably worse than the good Paper Mario games? Am I wrong then, too?

because this isn't a review. This is childish bitching.
Was it? He seemed pretty on point with his critique, and provided explanations for each. That's far more effort than what one might expect from "childish bitching".

Yes Yahtzee, target the "mixed reviews" but completely ignore Sticker Star's sales figures.
Call of Duty remains one of the most successful triple-A franchises in the world, and games like Candy Crush and Flappy Bird-clones make tens of millions. So, by your own metric, they're better quality games than, let's say, any game Nintendo has ever produced.

Yeah, I can get behind that. You have a fair point there.

***** about trivial matters like the Toads
Hardly seems trivial when it's a clear step backwards from the previous games.

and how the game's not funny because it's self aware
Or maybe it's not funny because it's simply not funny?

Besides, comedy is subjective. A clear fact when one considers that talentless shits like Tim and Eric have gained any popularity...

when you yourself haven't been funny in years.
I dunno. I laughed at points in this review. More so at the absurdly angry responses to the negative reviews of this game, mind, but I still chuckled.

No this more anti-Nintendo propaganda and I cannot trust Yahtzee's word anymore.
It's a conspiracy, man!

All he wants to do is pander to pretentious hipsters and millennials.
But what if I'm neither of those and I agree with his criticisms of the game(s)?

LordTerminal said:
I can't even call you a gamer.
"You're not a REAL gamer like me!"

You're a parasite.
No, I'm a mitochondria, thank you very much.

You are clearly part of the anti-Nintendo conspiracy. Rot in hell.
Oh gods...you're serious...

I thought you were putting on some sort of performance art piece.

I'm suddenly very uncomfortable...

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
LordTerminal said:
And 3. Oh but when Sony, Microsoft and every other company does it, it's perfectly fine, right? Nintendo's the only one producing what I can call games. There's no one else producing consistently good games right now. It's always 1 good game and 500 bland or shitty ones. There is literally nothing I can be hyped for other than Pok?mon right now. The indie crowd is no better either. The industry needs to go back to what made the 16-bit era or even just the PS2/GameCube/Xbox era great.
I assume you're talkin' consoles only right? Because From Soft has a pretty stellar track record during the last decade. Then theres Blizzard and even though i personally disliked D3 for being so diffrent, the general opinion definitly disagrees with me and found it amazing - specially after all the patches.
I don't even know if Blizz actually ever produced a BAD game. Maybe 1 or 2 SNES games back in the 90s.

And if we talk about the complete indie industry including all genres then i'm baffled to. Darkest Dungeon, Undertale, Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon, FNAF, Spelunky, Terraira, Minecraft, Hotline Miami, Papers Please, Stanley Parable, KSP, Prison Architect, Rimworld, Super Meat Boy, Limbo...
There's basically infinite amount of playtime and some of the best games i've personally played ever.

Jeah, maybe it looks more dire on the console front. But those plastic dustcatchers kicked the bucket anyway.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
LordTerminal is in full melt down. It's hilarious to watch but also really sad.

LordTerminal said:
My point was that the sales figures were what made them decide to make Color Splash like Sticker Star. Not their fault they didn't catch wind of the public outcry by in time.
Uh, yes it is. Because people have been saying it since Sticker Star came out. Also it's their jobs to find out what people like and don't like about their games. Nintendo now has a long history of ignoring what people want out of their games, hence we get recent travesties like Color Splash, Federation Force, and Star Fox Zero instead of a real Paper Mario game, a real Metroid game, and a Star Fox game not crippled by bad gimmick controls and ground missions.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
I like to think that LordTerminal is just Yahtzee trolling his own comment section in a weird Tyler Durden state of mind, appeasing a build up of self-hate while also contributing to higher traffic for his uploads.
The alternative to that is not as pleasing to imagine.
That is absolutely hilarious and it is what I'm going to imagine from now on.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
HumanShale said:
Thank Christ you got rid of that intro music. I hated it and sometimes missed the first few words of the review as I turned the mute button off.

Good move.
What annoyed me was that it was always way louder than the actual review.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Canadamus Prime said:
I'm probably the 50th person to ask, where the hell's the intro?
People asked Yahtzee during his post-ZP stream. He doesn't know. Whoever uploads these probably fucked up.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I'm probably the 50th person to ask, where the hell's the intro?
People asked Yahtzee during his post-ZP stream. He doesn't know. Whoever uploads these probably fucked up.
Considering the state the Escapist is in that doesn't surprise me.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Delicious Anathema said:
Nintendo has done paper, yarn...I want clay next. Make that Nintendo Power cover in a game.
Um... Well... It kinda was done awhile ago [http://www.myfanaticsgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/maxresdefault.jpg]

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Reads thread...

Well, that was, um, enlightening. Who knew that there was a conspiracy going on? 0_0

Since I'm here...

Transdude1996 said:
Yeah, and would you mind telling what you liked so much about Avatar,
I liked Avatar. :(

Atratzu said:
I wonder if I should play them in reverse order, kinda like how you should do with the star wars movies to not be the most disappointed in the prequels.
Personal view is that if you're watching Star Wars for the first time, you should go 4-6, 1-3, mainly to preserve the Darth Vader plot twist. After that, my view is that one should watch them in chronological order (1-6) if you're rewatching the series as a whole. Reasons being:

-I actually consider the prequels as a net positive, but I feel that Phantom and Clones are easily the weakest films in the series. Revenge of the Sith is a huge step up, but I think ending it on Return of the Jedi works better.

-This is a bit more nebulous, and it might be due to me being more reciprocal to the prequels than others, but I feel that the chronological order works is that it makes the two trilogies feel like very different eras. Prequel era, everything's clean, partly due to CGI use, partly due to worldbuilding (Republic's in bad shape, but it'll get much worse under the Empire), partly due to the use of colour (I'll spare a lecture, but if you ever rewatch the prequels, watch how the colour schemes and lighting change on Coruscant change in each installment). Hence, when we make the jump to A New Hope, it's very clear that this is a different world. Everything's 'rougher,' a bit more low tech, etc. I think this is due more to the use of technology in both trilogies, and possibly not even intentional, but for me personally, I felt that the change added to the overall experience.

Adeptus Aspartem said:
I assume you're talkin' consoles only right? Because From Soft has a pretty stellar track record during the last decade. Then theres Blizzard and even though i personally disliked D3 for being so diffrent, the general opinion definitly disagrees with me and found it amazing - specially after all the patches.
I don't even know if Blizz actually ever produced a BAD game. Maybe 1 or 2 SNES games back in the 90s.
I don't think you're in the minority. I'm weird in that my personal level of preference goes D3>D1>D2, but most people would nominate Diablo II as the best game in the series. I feel the general consensus for Diablo III is that it's a good game that's been tarnished by a botched launch and it existing in D2's shadow.

As for bad games Blizzard's done? Well, outside personal preference (e.g. really don't like playing WoW), there is Justice League Task Force (if that counts), and Warcraft I has aged terribly.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Thanatos2k said:
All the reviews for this game are hilarious, because they all say "This game is so great! It looks great and it's funny! Ohbutitsjustlikestickerstarandthosepartsarereallyreallyreallybadbutmaybetrytoignorethosepartsyeahweknowyoucantignorethemsojusttrytotolerateit.....did we mention the game looks good....?"
Agreed. I have even seen people say 'well the battle system isn't the main point of the game anyway' to excuse the battle system.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
darkrage6 said:
I did not grow up with the "shittier" console, at least Sega didn't stupidly censor their own games for no reason like Nintendo did(no surprise Sega's version of Mortal Kombat far outsold the SNES one) they were arrogant but they could back up their claims at least and they forced Nintendo not to get lazy and complacent like they are now and have been for a long time.
It looks like you are saying that the Genesis has a superior library to the SNES?

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Ninten... Nintendo, please. Please. Just... just-just look at this picture for a moment, okay?

This is a level up system. It rewards players with increasing power and diversity of moves as they progress through the game and fight more and more dangerous enemies on a rising difficulty curve, and is considered one of the most integral parts of an RPG whether or not you offer the player a choice of which stats to focus on developing as seen here. Without this level up system, all battles against minor enemies become completely, absolutely pointless and nothing more than time-wasting annoyances draining your resources before the next boss.

Sorry if I sound condescending. I'm just worried that you might have stuck a coathanger in your brain when no one was looking, or stolen Square-Enix's crazy pills. Or both.