Zero Punctuation: Paper Mario: Sticker Star

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
I still can't wrap my mind around why they got rid of the partners. They were the best damn thing about the previous games.

Also, is it just me, or was Yahtzee kind of subtly begging to have a remix made?

Rorschach II

Mar 11, 2009
You have to give PM:SS credit where it is due. Atleast it tried something different with the mechanics rather than rehashing the same mechanics and putting a slightly higher number on the end of the title a la NSMB and Galaxy.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
That is a drag to hear. As I don't own a 3DS I've not played this game, but it was one I'd planned to get once I finally decided to pick up a 3DS down the line some day. I always found the Paper Mario games to be quite entertaining.

Now I am sad.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I feel like this game has taken out everything that made the previous Paper Mario games fun, I haven't played TTYD yet, I hope it comes out on the Wii U store in the future.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Paper Mario Games were a blast... really sad to see it go the way of other Nintendo franchises. Milked until there is nothing left but an emaciated corpse.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I had to restrain myself so hard not to purchase on impulse with this game because I couldn't convince myself that the sticker aspect would be fun in any way. I am really glad I was able to resist.

Kuomon

Nov 17, 2009
To answers Yahtzee's question, Paper Mario: Sticker Star is a puzzle game with adventure elements, a Puzzle adventure if you will. This is clear by how the game approaches sticker use and how it rewards you for winning battles in a single turn. I'll agree though that this game would have been probably better served not being related to the Paper Mario series.

The real question is whether it is a good puzzle game, and although I'll admit I'm enjoying the game thus far, it does need a lot more polish, and I fear that it's the series' classic comedy that's keeping me entertained as opposed to the game mechanics. If you have a 3DS give it a try and decide for yourself.

Anthony Pankuch

Mar 8, 2012
Shame, I had a feeling it'd go this way. Thousand-Year Door is no doubt my favorite game in the Mario series as a whole, and one of my favorite RPGs as well. Seems Nintendo's forgotten how to do a creativity in Mario games.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
lord.jeff said:
Would you prefer Paper Mario suffer from stagnation like Galaxy?
Well no. There wasn't much of a story in Galaxy however. If Paper Mario started just completely retreading old concepts and storylines then yeah I think he'd agree, but the story of the paper mario games have always been fun, imaginative and unique as well as offering fun and rewarding gameplay, yet simply designed turn based gameplay. The game play doesnt have to change much but you could just have a new story, and things would be fine.

That's not stagnation.

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
ugh, I am with you 100% on this one. I can't believe they made a paper mario game so boring, repetitive, and utterly lacking in charm and humor. How could they not include new party members!? That was the most interesting part of the previous installments, and Thousand Year Door is STILL one of my favorite RPGs.

darkszero

Apr 1, 2010
Kuomon said:
To answers Yahtzee's question, Paper Mario: Sticker Star is a puzzle game with adventure elements, a Puzzle adventure if you will. This is clear by how the game approaches sticker use and how it rewards you for winning battles in a single turn. I'll agree though that this game would have been probably better served not being related to the Paper Mario series.

The real question is whether it is a good puzzle game, and although I'll admit I'm enjoying the game thus far, it does need a lot more polish, and I fear that it's the series' classic comedy that's keeping me entertained as opposed to the game mechanics. If you have a 3DS give it a try and decide for yourself.
This game is a Paper Mario in the sense of "a mario game where everything is made of paper, and built around this fact" and not "part of the Paper Mario series". It's relevant to point that the N64 Paper Mario is known as "Mario Story" in Japan.

I agree with your choice of "Puzzle Adventure" for this game's genre, it certainly fits. I played this and I had lots of fun with it, in particular with the matching music and the bosses (and the music in these fights). But yeah, if you play this expecting something like TTYD, you'll be VERY disappointed...

Kuomon

Nov 17, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Rorschach II said:
You have to give PM:SS credit where it is due. Atleast it tried something different with the mechanics rather than rehashing the same mechanics and putting a slightly higher number on the end of the title a la NSMB and Galaxy.
Wasn't his point that they rehashed everything else instead?
I feel he's exagerating on this point. Was anyone really that angry when they reused art assets from Megaman in Megaman 2? Assets from Mass Effect 2 in 3?

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I was really hoping he would do this game, but I was worried it wouldn't happen what with the giant slew of shooters and what-not released in November. I know the Australian date for this was a tad later, but it seemed like it was sliding. Glad to see I was wrong.