Zero Punctuation: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Fascinating twist on the typical Mario/Peach/Bowser dynamic. It's only in the RPG's that the princess appears to have any agency of her own. And once again, Yahtzee showed he can be funny while praising a game, in that "they don't make 'em like this anymore" way, as he is in crapping on them.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
Can I just say "Kudos!" to Ben for the W. Heath Robinson reference, rather than the usual over-reliance on (The Pretender) Goldberg to satisfy an unenlightened audience steeped (to the point of saturation) in American culture.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
So, the fact that I picked up Eternal Darkness for less than $10 about 2-3 years ago (With disc, case, manual, and all) is an event planned by the angels?

GameCube games are not that hard to get ahold of, nor that rare. I think the rarest GC game I've seen is MGS: Twin Snakes and I've seen that on a few occasions.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Flathole said:
Damnit Yahtzee, just do a proper retro-review of Eternal Darkness. It's obvious you're deeply in love with it and probably use the game case as a sex aid (not judging, I do it too), and everyone knows it's far more deserving of a direct/spiritual sequel then any "shoot the Germans/Arabs/Russians/Aliens with one of two rifles while your health regenerates" series.

TIER Pargon Pargon Pargon ARETAK Pargon Pargon Pargon XEL'LOTATH"
I AM NOT YOUR FAN TODAY! I AM YOUR MASTER!
I wouldn't say it's "far more deserving" myself.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
FillerDmon said:
If you haven't played it,
Owned since it came out, and have probably played it twice a year since. The amount of praise I have for it is partially a cause of why I'm surprised Mr. Croshaw is so reserved.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
For strategy in Thousand Year Door, I choose between a Mario ability/buff badge focus[small](can also be subdivided into jump or hammer focus)[/small] or a companion ability/buff badge focus. You can't equip everything so there is some room to specialize.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Oh, Yahtzee. You forgot to mention the best parts! The story unfolds with Peach negotiating and navigating her way to unveiling the core of the villain's plot, and Bowser always follows that act with some one-step-behind shenanigans, making him not only a comic relief but also an established miniboss (as opposed to Koopa Egg-boy or whatever).

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Redlin5 said:
What the actual fuck is happening in this week's credit sequence.
Oh, don't worry. That's just some Dark Souls sh** going-on right there.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Do you realize that Zero Punctuation has been going on so long there's a review for Super Paper Mario from back when it actually came out?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/11-Super-Paper-Mario

(I was a little surprised when I finally got around to playing it and learned that you don't really need to spend 15 minutes on the treadmill, but it certainly is clear at numerous points that the developers were thoroughly content to waste the player's time.)

this stupid nerd

Dec 31, 2015
Yo, Yahtzee, if your schedule allows it, and if the gods may smile to have Nintendo remember Australia, review Kirby Planet Robobot. I wanna actually hear what you think. And, your only Kirby review has been of Epic Yarn, an anomaly from the normal series, so I want to see what you think of the Kirby proper series as well as the newer parts of it. Should be fun. Maybe even more fun than hatfall who knows?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Bob_McMillan said:
This, over Uncharted and Doom? Okayyy...
Uncharted 4 came out last Tuesday, Doom came out last Friday. Yahtzee's schedule typically has him about two weeks behind new releases because he starts "production" the week before a video goes out (give or take a few days if you include time taken to, you know, actually play the games).

This has been pretty common practice for him for years, now. I'm not sure why people are still surprised.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I think that after the GameCube and Xbox were crushed by the PS2, Nintendo decided to associate everything that console was a failure. Pikmin is the only IP that survived that period, because Mario Sunshine was the first underwhelming Mario game, Luigi's Mansion praise wouldn't come until much later and that system has the worst Wario game, no wonder the Wario series simply stopped. Maybe if the Gamecube had gotten the praise it deserves, the Wii wouldn't have happenned.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
What happened to your game PSAs Yahtzee? This could've easily been something to explain how the Gamecube was probably one of Nintendo's greatest gaming achievements and how the Wii was entirely unnecessary. I can still hear the jingle now:

~Let's all learn 'bout an industry that never learns anything, tee hee hee~

bazingabro

Aug 18, 2014
All I can remember is the dragon that wanted you to sniff his feet (or was it lick them?). Still grosses me out.