Zero Punctuation: Papers, Please and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
lacktheknack said:
UnravThreads said:
That transsexual joke killed it. I stopped watching straight after. And it's my last Yahtzee video.

I know he can be offensive, but that's just completely uncalled for.
...shortly after he said "as useless as a Wi-Fi connection in the Auschwitz gas showers".

...and he's referenced Nazis jerking off with a peeled-off baby's face in his "Velvet Assassin" review.

...and a not-very-mean dig at transsexuals is what did you in?

I don't know if your priorities are really on straight, man.
It's about how it hits you. I'm not Jewish. I'm 23. I'm not East European. Jokes about the Holocaust don't affect me, though I wouldn't make any myself.

So work out why I'm pissed off.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
UnravThreads said:
lacktheknack said:
UnravThreads said:
That transsexual joke killed it. I stopped watching straight after. And it's my last Yahtzee video.

...shortly after he said "as useless as a Wi-Fi connection in the Auschwitz gas showers".

...and he's referenced Nazis jerking off with a peeled-off baby's face in his "Velvet Assassin" review.

It's about how it hits you. I'm not Jewish. I'm 23. I'm not East European. Jokes about the Holocaust don't affect me, though I wouldn't make any myself.

So you're saying that it's only funny until you get tweaked.

That's... pretty selfish, not gonna lie. I don't "get" people who take themselves so seriously that any jokes that prod them are immediately "oh so offensive", seeing how most humor involves making fun of someone or other or watching someone make a fool of themselves.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
canadamus_prime said:
Sorry, there's no way in hell you're going to sell me on a paper work simulator.
It's a lot more fun that it actually sounds. I know that that sounds bizarre, but check out this let's play at the very least.

<youtube=GztX17pOFlQ>

Seriously, the game is actually really good.

Silly Hats

Dec 26, 2012

I might hang around and see how this controversy pans out.

Anyway, I liked the review and I'll likely pick up Papers when I get a chance.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Sorry, there's no way in hell you're going to sell me on a paper work simulator.
Is shame. Family will starve. And freeze. Heating bill does not pay self. Only by accepting occupation at Glorious Border Checkpoint can you support family. Surely, it is good to take generous possibility?

Warm smile on faces will be pay enough when you bring home first potato, comrade.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
I'm really enjoying "Papers, Please". Like Yahtzee said, it mysteriously "absorbs" you into the game. Also, this "paper work simulator" actually has a bit of serious story involved in it, it even has 20 endings that depends on your actions.

And now I cringe every time I hear that bloody citation note printing....

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
I usually enjoy Yahtzee's videos, but his joke about transgender people really fucking bothered me.

Why? Because my girlfriend is trans.

I've told her how much I love her on many occasions. I had to have an honest heart-to-heart with myself, because I want to have sex with her and make her happy, but it will be a while before she can have her surgery (she wants everything, the HRT therapy and the SRS surgery).

So yeah, I decided that right now, her penis is part of who she is, and I want to make her happy. So yes, I would be willing to do that for her.

Obviously, I would prefer vaginal sex (I mean hell, she told me she not only wants a vagina for herself, but because she wants to "ride me so fucking badly", which made me blush). But it's funny... I don't like dudes. I like women. And even though my girlfriend wasn't born one, I see her as one, because she acts like one and sees herself as one.

So, I look at it like I'm sucking my girlfriend's penis. =)

Now, none of this has happened yet, because we are also long distance, so we have only talked over the Internet. But holy hell, every time I talk to her I get that warm tingly love feeling. Not just sexually aroused... it's more than that.

So yeah, I know this is the Escapist, and I know people will come out and call me gay for wanting to make my girlfriend happy because I love her. Don't care. I just wanted to say why Yahtzee's joke upset me.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
JudgeGame said:
It bothers me that Yahtzee writes a lot of jokes at the expense of women or anyone who isn't the middle-class, able-bodied, straight, white, cis man. I don't actually know much about Yahtzee's character and I wouldn't assume he's the kind of person that cares if anyone is offended by what he says. I do however know he is an exoerienced writer and as such I would expect him to take some pride in the jokes he writes. Making a joke about a pre-op transexual or having sex with a pre-op transexual is easy because it appeals to the playground humour built on pubescent boys' sexual insecurities and you only have to bring up the image of a man with a penis in his mouth to make the lowest common denominator viewer piss themselves. Generally, good writers find ways of creating comedy that transcend human knee-jerk reactions and I personally apreciate when a writer has assumed that I, the person enjoying their output, is not a club-dragging neanderthal and they attempt comedy with a little more sophistication than "Look at this thing you have been taught to find funny and laugh, sheep".

I reiterate, this has nothing to do with offense, even if that is a can of worms I would be willing to open. This is about being a good writer and creating witty, original humour. I'm not here to speak up for anyone but myself. Jokes about femininity, homosexuality, transexuality, domestic violence, sexual abuse and the ilk are the easy option and unbecoming of anyone who has talent to write better jokes; and, need I say it, have been sufficiently played out over the last few millennia in my opinion.

Believe me, I understand the tight schedule Zero Punctuation has to follow and it is no small task to come up with 50 jokes and fit them in a 5 minute skit every week but as a long-time viewer I would let it be known I'd much prefer 25 curated jokes that didn't involve a penis threatening someone's sexuality or making fun of someone who has done nothing to elicit public ridicule.
None of his jokes really come at the expense of anyone, because nothing is off base, including himself. It's equal-opportunities comedy.

If you don't believe me, go back and watch the end of the second E3 roundup where he goes on his spiel about everyone being shit.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
erttheking said:
canadamus_prime said:
It's a lot more fun that it actually sounds. I know that that sounds bizarre, but check out this let's play at the very least.

<youtube=GztX17pOFlQ>

Seriously, the game is actually really good.
Interesting, still not sold though.

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
lacktheknack said:
UnravThreads said:

The point is that unlike the Nazis, transgender people have not comitted genocide, raped and pillaged their way through Poland or set up fascist states, and really have done nothing to harm anyone, so cracking cruel jokes at their expense is taking it a bit far.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zombie Badger said:
lacktheknack said:
UnravThreads said:

The point is that unlike the Nazis, transgender people have not comitted genocide, raped and pillaged their way through Poland or set up fascist states, and really have done nothing to harm anyone, so cracking cruel jokes at their expense is taking it a bit far.
Except he wasn't cracking a joke at the expense of the Nazis. He was cracking it at the expense of the Jews.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
papers please is soooo feindishly addictive.

Turbo_ski said:
Jokes against transsexuals were completely unnecessary and completely offensive.
You didn't mention the "As useful as a wi-fi connection in Auschwitz's prison showers" joke.

Grow a sense of humor. There's no genuine hate behind any of the jokes he does.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
erttheking said:
Zombie Badger said:
lacktheknack said:

Except he wasn't cracking a joke at the expense of the Nazis. He was cracking it at the expense of the Jews.
And dead or tortured babies. Don't forget the tortured babies. I doubt that they've committed genocide, either.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Honestly, it's just Yahtzee satirizing the game itself. There are only Male and Female options, No in-betweens are allowed to go through the borders. and playing the game you'll see plenty of female faced immigrants that has a "thing" and vice versa.

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
MeisterKleister said:
Turbo_ski said:
Jokes against transsexuals were completely unnecessary and completely offensive.
I agree.
However, this videos does not contain any jokes *against* transsexuals, only a joke against hypocrites that happens to also contain a transsexual person.
The problem with the joke is that it is saying that the only thing that defines someone's gender is their genitalia, so who they are underneath does not matter. Taken to its logical conclusion, this view states than transgender people cannot actually be transgender, as their personal view of who they are does not matter (in reality, the old 'man trapped in a woman's body' thing is literal).

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
While Papers, please sounds interesting it brings up uncomfortable stories I heard from my parents about the border passing to east Germany.
I think I will pass on that.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zombie Badger said:
lacktheknack said:
UnravThreads said:

If that joke was targeted at transsexuals, then the other jokes were aimed at the Jews.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
UnravThreads said:
lacktheknack said:
UnravThreads said:

I think 'hypocrisy' is the word you are looking for.

Screw masses of people that died in inhumane conditions, someone is doubting my sexuality!

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
chadachada123 said:
erttheking said:
Zombie Badger said:
And dead or tortured babies. Don't forget the tortured babies. I doubt that they've committed genocide, either.
The thing with the Nazi, Auschwitz and dead baby jokes is that like with many of his jokes the subject matter either does not exist anymore of is completely over the top so that it can't be taken seriously (grating babies faces off).