Zero Punctuation: Persona 5

Nico4

Dec 24, 2008
Rawbeard said:
2 hours, 1 view, 0 comments? weird.
I think someone at The Escapist forgot to make the video public, because I checked it two hours ago and it wasn't there.

Anyway, hold the sodding banana cake, I did not expect him to like this game.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
He said pretty much everything I was thinking. That said, I'm somewhat surprised at how lightly it got off.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Johnny Novgorod said:
What do you know, he likes it. Is that a first for a JRPG?
He liked The Stick of Truth, and various Mario & Luigi RPGs. And he has expressed his love for Earthbound in the past.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I can think of nothing worse. Everything I hear about Persona makes me less and less interested. Highschool jrpg sounds awful. Having said that, I had my fill of jrpgsaround the psx era.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well fuck me, he liked it. Didn't see that one coming. He does have some points about the day to day stuff being maddeningly short on time, and the negotiation being batty nuggets (though I've at least gotten to the point where I usually get the first one right) but they're pretty minor niggles all things considered.

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
Yahtzee only needs the first thirty seconds of Bohemian Rhapsody, forty times, to hate it?

By God that song has to be the literal trope namer for "Overplayed Douche Anthem". It only beats out "Party" by Beastie Boys due to its age being greater.

(Both of these songs would be just fine, were they not both played multiple times daily on the radio. All radios. All radios, all radio stations.)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, I quite like the game, but the way it handles time passing and when it does or doesn't allow you to do something is very randomized. Maybe it's a staple for this series (first time player), but it results in me never really getting immersed in the gamewolrd.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
mythgraven said:
Yahtzee only needs the first thirty seconds of Bohemian Rhapsody, forty times, to hate it?

By God that song has to be the literal trope namer for "Overplayed Douche Anthem". It only beats out "Party" by Beastie Boys due to its age being greater.

(Both of these songs would be just fine, were they not both played multiple times daily on the radio. All radios. All radios, all radio stations.)
Here in NJ, we have no rock stations so we can't hear it. All that's out here is rap, Top 40 and oldies that thinks The BeeGees were the greatest thing ever.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Yeah, I quite like the game, but the way it handles time passing and when it does or doesn't allow you to do something is very randomized. Maybe it's a staple for this series (first time player), but it results in me never really getting immersed in the gamewolrd.
It's not randomized. I thought it was at first when I played P3FES back in 2008.

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
I could've sworn he had played and enjoyed Persona in the past.

I thought it was one of the few JRPGs he does like, such as the Yakuza series.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
I'm trying to figure out whether or not I'm shocked that he actually liked this. I do agree with some of his flaws too since I hate how due to the story bits, they won't allow you to do other activities and instead only give you the option to go to bed. If you're gonna do that, why not just boot us straight to the next day then?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Casual Shinji said:
It's not randomized. I thought it was at first when I played P3FES back in 2008.
Well, you could get sick and miss a few days in that one.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
And then there's this bloody cat that keeps making you go to bed early and waste evening after evening that could be spent developing skills, shopping for supplies, or hanging out with your friends. I don't remember previous games being so hand-holdy.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
DaCosta said:
I could've sworn he had played and enjoyed Persona in the past.

I thought it was one of the few JRPGs he does like, such as the Yakuza series.
If this an indication, Yahtzee probably liked how the setting isnt some generic anime escapist setting where your band of friends is more hazardous to your health than the enemy. Persona and Yakuza doesnt do that, especially with Persona 5 where it tackles real social issues albeit with an aware but not jaded matter.

Compare this to Neptunia and Senran Kagura where the fanservice and sugarcoated fantasy strips it of value.