Zero Punctuation: Persona 5

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Darth_Payn said:
What madness is this? Yahtzee, liking a JRPG?! Have the seas run red with blood already?
Oh, wait, he kinda liked Nier. But not that one with the blindfolded androids.
I think he liked Rock-em Sock-em Robots well enough. His major complaints seemed to mostly just be with the Normal-mode balance problems and mediocre enemy variety.

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
Dalisclock said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
What do you know, he likes it. Is that a first for a JRPG?
He liked Earthbound, if that's worth anything.

As an aside(and maybe this needs a different thread) but do the Japanese have an obsession with High School dramas or something? I have somewhat a passing familarity with Anime but there seem to be a lot of High School centered Animes, and the ones that aren't usually have AUs that are.
From what I've read about on Japanese culture, my hypothesis on why Japan seems obsessed with high school in its media is because being an adult in Japan sucks. You work incredibly long hours, with many of those hours being unpaid, to the point where establishing friendships/relationships doesn't seem worthwhile since you'll have no time for those people anyways (and they won't have time for you either). High school is essentially that last moment of freedom before entering adulthood, so I can kinda see why it's an appealing setting.

This is shown quite bleaky in Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, which actually features an almost all adult cast. The one teenage character asks what it's like being an adult, and the oldest party member (35) says "The pain never stops". Yep, I'd want to be in high school forever too if I got told that.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
As I lack a PS4, I'm actually pretty unhappy I'm not able to play this particular Persona. I never got around to 4 but those I've asked who like RPGs in general all seem to really enjoy 5 for pretty much all the same reasons I liked Persona 3. As soon as I can get my hands on a PS4, I'll be checking it out.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Sheo_Dagana said:
As I lack a PS4, I'm actually pretty unhappy I'm not able to play this particular Persona. I never got around to 4 but those I've asked who like RPGs in general all seem to really enjoy 5 for pretty much all the same reasons I liked Persona 3. As soon as I can get my hands on a PS4, I'll be checking it out.
there is a ps3 version if that is at all helpful

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
I really think that Yahtzee should play Tales of Berseria I think he might really like it. Not only is the story really good but the characters are fantastic. Especially the way they interact with each other and you. It gives so much depth and it makes you much more invested in them. I also like how a lot of them kept much of their background and goals to themselves rather then just toss it at you all at once

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
TakeyB0y2 said:
Dalisclock said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
What do you know, he likes it. Is that a first for a JRPG?
He liked Earthbound, if that's worth anything.

As an aside(and maybe this needs a different thread) but do the Japanese have an obsession with High School dramas or something? I have somewhat a passing familarity with Anime but there seem to be a lot of High School centered Animes, and the ones that aren't usually have AUs that are.
From what I've read about on Japanese culture, my hypothesis on why Japan seems obsessed with high school in its media is because being an adult in Japan sucks. You work incredibly long hours, with many of those hours being unpaid, to the point where establishing friendships/relationships doesn't seem worthwhile since you'll have no time for those people anyways (and they won't have time for you either). High school is essentially that last moment of freedom before entering adulthood, so I can kinda see why it's an appealing setting.

This is shown quite bleaky in Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, which actually features an almost all adult cast. The one teenage character asks what it's like being an adult, and the oldest party member (35) says "The pain never stops". Yep, I'd want to be in high school forever too if I got told that.
Also, high school is a pretty good audience to shoot for if you want to sell something to people with disposable income and a ton of free time instead of disposable income and a crushing job. The Young Adult market is lucrative everywhere, and I don't think it's a coincidence that a ton of people get into anime in their teens.

I'm amazed and happy Yahtzee had a good time with it. I play through it right now, and it's pretty great. In terms of scooby gang simulators there's no comparison between this and say, Bioware's stuff.

May 28, 2015
Mass Effect never did a swimsuit episode?

Not sure about that... (note the "Sold Out - Not Available :( notice") [https://blackmilkclothing.com/products/mass-effect-n7-swimsuit]

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
1981 said:

Not sure about that... (note the "Sold Out - Not Available :( notice") [https://blackmilkclothing.com/products/mass-effect-n7-swimsuit]
I think he meant the obligatory beach/bath house trips, which are frequent in japanese media.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Want to see what happens next versus wanting to see what kind of a level comes next. Each to their own, as they say.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Kaimax said:
Casual Shinji said:
Sometimes it'll allow me to read on the subway and then sometimes it simply won't. Sometimes you'll get a little moment where you're called upon in class to answer a question, though usually the game just skips to 'after school'.
But all of those are not random, they're fixed to the schedule of that date they're on. No matter how much you reload a save file, those small social stat events won't change. For example at 4/20 you will always be able to find a seat on the subway train.
There's a core Persona fanbase that enjoys mapping out the schedules and min-maxing the crap out of them to make 100% guides for everyone else.

Imre Csete said:
1981 said:

I think he meant the obligatory beach/bath house trips, which are frequent in japanese media.
They did (kinda) have a beach volleyball episode. And a shirtless day. Both featuring Liam.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Noyemi-K said:
"Persona pokemon"
So... Persona.
Yeah I think I'd be more accurate to call it Shadow Pokemon or Demon Pokemon.

Also why do i have a feeling that Yahtzee is gonna lampshade the idea of him probably going soft between this, Zelda, and RE7.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
TheScorpion said:
Noyemi-K said:
"Persona pokemon"
So... Persona.
Yeah I think I'd be more accurate to call it Shadow Pokemon or Demon Pokemon.

Also why do i have a feeling that Yahtzee is gonna lampshade the idea of him probably going soft between this, Zelda, and RE7.
SMT existed before pokemon so it's more like pokemon is cutesy bug SMT.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
TakeyB0y2 said:

Shit, it isn't just Persona 2. That mentality is all over this game, too, with how most of the adults view the world. Even just regular random generic faceless NPCs.
And between Okumura's Palace, Shido's ambitions, what Yoshida says during his speeches as you max out his Social Link, and all those lovelies in the last dungeon giving up on life kinda gives off a very interesting social commentary on the state of Japan.