Zero Punctuation: PlayStation VR

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
unzi said:
I advise everyone to try out the HTC Vive before passing judgment on VR or Oculus when the Touch controllers actually come out.
Roomscale is absolutely what VR was made for, if you think you got immersed looking around and playing on an playstation controller wait until you try some proper controller tracking. I do agree whoever that racing and hotas are a pretty great fit as well, but the immersion i get from playing rpg, and horror games on the vive is just surreal.

Go check out a demo if you can, you won't regret it :D
I agree with this. I have the HTC Vive and the only time I've gotten any motion sickness was when using VorpX to play traditional existing games that weren't designed for VR. Other than that, I've showcased the Vive to over a dozen people and not a single one got any motion sickness at all, some were surprised because they were expecting motion sickness too.
The Vive's motion controllers also add significantly to the immersion because they track perfectly 1:1 with no lag at all, so they feel more like tools for interacting with the world rather than a traditional controller or wiggle style wii remote.

To be honest I'd be very interested in seeing Yahtzee reviewing the Vive or doing a comparison (unless he has already and I missed it)

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
unrelated in some ways , but yahtzee really picked a great time to come to the Us... trump's somehow the next president and california (wher yahtzee moved to) wants to succeed from the US

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
crazygameguy4ever said:
unrelated in some ways , but yahtzee really picked a great time to come to the Us... trump's somehow the next president and california (wher yahtzee moved to) wants to succeed from the US
That's never going to happen. Texas has been threatening to do that for years (Which no one should take as a joke), and they haven't yet. Also, while California looks powerful (On paper), they're losing money left and right. And, it doesn't help that many the people who do live there don't have any integrity (For example, how many of those pledging to leave the country actually will follow through on that claim?).

Karthesios

Jul 11, 2010
I could see myself getting a PSVR if Elite: Dangerous comes to PS4 supporting it. Why yes, I AM too cheap to upgrade my PC to support Oculus Rift.

Sep 13, 2009
I think he's being too harsh on the motion controls. The biggest thing that shocked me with VR was that motion controls are actually not shit. I played with the HTC Vive, and I was astounded with just how easy it was to use the wand to point at things. I'd just been so accustomed to the Wii Remote that I didn't realize that pointing at things should actually be something that's easy to do.

There's also something very nice about not having to have both of your hands within view to know what you're doing with them. I played a game called "Draw your blade" which was a really low budget game where you use the wands to draw swords/shields and use those to bash away orbs that fly at you. It was probably one of my favorite VR experiences so far. Why I mention it though, was that you'd often have enemies coming at you from all sides, and you could hold your shield behind you to block while you swing at one with your other sword. That's something I've never been able to do in a game before, and I feel like there's a lot of things that could be done with it

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
The cynical bastard in me fears that games are going to end up being a subscription based service and/or theme park rides.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Just imagine: in 6 years from now when there will be actual good games for VR, the price will go down and, god willing, motion controllers will go away.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Sheo_Dagana said:
I'm the kind of person that can't go to 3D movies without getting motion sick and my 3DS gives me a headache. I couldn't possibly justify the price tag for the PSVR and it's selection of over-priced tech demos. I know a lot of people keep saying that VR is the future of gaming, but for the sake of myself and other people that can't use VR for whatever reason, I hope that's a very distant future.
Don't worry, the only markets where VR will ever be a noticable success at all will be XXX Content (Movies, Dating Sims) and Training Simulations (Surgery, Plane).

PS: really hate those stupid 3d-glasses you are forced to wear in the cinema, too.
Barely go there anymore...

unzi

Nov 9, 2016
Zulnam said:
Just imagine: in 6 years from now when there will be actual good games for VR, the price will go down and, god willing, motion controllers will go away.
Don't dismiss motion controllers until you've tried ones that are actually precise and lag free.
Wii, the wands from psvr,and kinnect simply can't be compared to ones such as the HTC Vive or the upcoming occulus touch.
I have yet to see one disbeliever of motion controllers not be converted when they try it :)

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
unzi said:
Zulnam said:
Don't dismiss motion controllers until you've tried ones that are actually precise and lag free.
Wii, the wands from psvr,and kinnect simply can't be compared to ones such as the HTC Vive or the upcoming occulus touch.
I have yet to see one disbeliever of motion controllers not be converted when they try it :)
I imagine Vive's should work properly, after making you redecorate the room, set up two cameras and clear a 3 by 3 space. How do you know the Oculus one will be good, though, if it's upcoming?

unzi

Nov 9, 2016
Zulnam said:
I imagine Vive's should work properly, after making you redecorate the room, set up two cameras and clear a 3 by 3 space. How do you know the Oculus one will be good, though, if it's upcoming?
The vive does take about 30min to one hour to set up, and you do need space for room scale game(there are some where you just need a place to sit), for room scale you need 1.5m by 2m, also yes it is still too expensive for the average joe, but the immersion is nothing like i had before. I do advise you to try it, no warm no foul :p.

Has for the occulus, i can't vouche for it, my insights come only from talking with some devs that have it, and some of the videos available from people who tried it.

unzi

Nov 9, 2016
Sheo_Dagana said:
I'm the kind of person that can't go to 3D movies without getting motion sick and my 3DS gives me a headache. I couldn't possibly justify the price tag for the PSVR and it's selection of over-priced tech demos. I know a lot of people keep saying that VR is the future of gaming, but for the sake of myself and other people that can't use VR for whatever reason, I hope that's a very distant future.
I am the same way, can't stand the 3D movies or the nintendo ds. That said, VR is not comparable to it, i do think its expensive at the moment but i don't regret it get it one bit.
Hopefully next year we will see the price drop with the rumored improvements to HTC Vive and with the other brands headsets.

Sayvara

Oct 11, 2007
As others have said: try the HTC Vive. Not only did they get the controllers right with that one, making them able to feel like anything from a sword to a gun to a longbow to a shield to a tractor beam/whip to... (and so on and so forth)...

...they have also made games that makes sense for VR. Beware of some of them though, as you will want to move about too much. Swordmaster VR for instance is best played in a mattress room because otherwise you will be punching walls and/or furniture and/or your friends and family members that are standing there watching you having a Life-Or-Death swordfight with your imaginary enemy.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Tried PSVR at an expo last weekend and it was alright but not something I'd ever spend money on. It's a really expensive toy at the moment. Vive costs 980? here. So yeah, I feel positively about the idea, but the reality is definitely out of my reach for now - even if it's virtual.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Outside of the price, my biggest compliant about VR is the weight of the headset. I had the chance to try the EVE game at a PSVR demo station, and I was always afraid of whipping around too fast and seeing the headset go flying across the show floor.

Atratzu

Aug 14, 2016
As usual, Yahtzee's explanation for how VR works is probably my favorite explanation ever. haha

4Aces

May 29, 2012
I would like to be wrong about this one, but think this will be lumped with 3D TV in the end.