Zero Punctuation: PlayStation VR

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
The problem for me is that I just don't find VR immersive. Putting on a headset and some headphones just isn't enough.

Games can tell me I'm holding something but not what that feels like. I needs to be able to reach over and touch any surface and feel its texture. I want to feel the ground beneath my feet, the rush of wind through my hair (well if I had any left). If I push against something I need to feel resistance, whether that just be resting against a wall, the pull of the flight stick or my sword meeting another.

I could go on for a while but VR for me isn't immersive because it makes me feel like I'm a passive observer, someone who is there but not truly part of that world.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Transdude1996 said:
Outside of the price, my biggest compliant about VR is the weight of the headset. I had the chance to try the EVE game at a PSVR demo station, and I was always afraid of whipping around too fast and seeing the headset go flying across the show floor.
I wonder how long it'll take before someone just decides to build one into a motorcycle helmet. It'd be heavier overall, but it'd be balanced.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
ToastyMozart said:
Transdude1996 said:
Outside of the price, my biggest compliant about VR is the weight of the headset. I had the chance to try the EVE game at a PSVR demo station, and I was always afraid of whipping around too fast and seeing the headset go flying across the show floor.
I wonder how long it'll take before someone just decides to build one into a motorcycle helmet. It'd be heavier overall, but it'd be balanced.
That would look badass. To the company/person that does, I'm sold.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
erttheking said:
I never thought about space combat with VR. That makes me interested in it. They're still gonna have to find a work around for the giant price tags though. I mean for the same cash, I could buy another console so my dad and I could play COD without being in the same room so that screen peaking isn't a problem.
Younger gamers have no idea that watching multiple screens is a valid tactic that takes practice to master.

I've been doing it since mariokart on the snes.

unzi

Nov 9, 2016
LordTerminal said:
I'm sorry, did I just hear that right? VR is a step forward? No it is not Yahtzee. It's an even worse gimmick than motion controls. Nobody with a brain wants to strap a ridiculous headset on to them, you can't do anything other than first person games which limits what genres you're able to work with and it pretty much increases the desire to avoid reality and sit motionless even more than normal gaming does and we're trying to eliminate the stereotype. Not promote it.

Also everything currently made for PS VR is watered down crap, yes even the junk you complimented which you did based on low standards. VR can die off like the fad it is.
Have you actually tried it?
No you can't only play first person games, you have third person, strategy whatever you want, with whatever controls you want. Go check out the games that are out for occulus and vive before you speak non-sense. On a side note, some if not most of the PS VR games are indeed lack buster.

bjj hero said:
I still think vr is a fad. It will go the way of 3D and motion control.
Again, have you actually tried it? I am willing to bet this is the next big thing (much like smartphones were before). The amount of investment and commitment from big companies you are seeing into VR as far surpassed the excitement there was behind 3D tvs, which were a fad, and a terrible one. In my book even 3D cinema looks awful.
votemarvel said:
The problem for me is that I just don't find VR immersive. Putting on a headset and some headphones just isn't enough.

Games can tell me I'm holding something but not what that feels like. I needs to be able to reach over and touch any surface and feel its texture. I want to feel the ground beneath my feet, the rush of wind through my hair (well if I had any left). If I push against something I need to feel resistance, whether that just be resting against a wall, the pull of the flight stick or my sword meeting another.

I could go on for a while but VR for me isn't immersive because it makes me feel like I'm a passive observer, someone who is there but not truly part of that world.
What you are describing is in fact the real world, just go out and play :).
On a side note i'm curious if you actually tried some roomscale? For me it what makes or breaks the immersion, its not perfect but it is really amazing, at least to me. I highly doubt that you played something like Raw Data or Brookhaven Experiment and feel like a passive observer.

unzi

Nov 9, 2016
LordTerminal said:
Sounds like we've got a VR fanboy on our hands. No I have not seen any evidence of any such games exist on those platforms. The only things I've seen on Occulus are all FP related. VR is not a step forward, it is a short term fad just like it was in the 90s. And Yahtzee's a fool to try and say otherwise.
Indeed i am a fan, i am excited about the technology. I only urge you to try it before dismissing it. Comparing it to the 90 VR is simply a joke, specially if you have yet to experience high end VR. I have demoed VR to a lot of people including people that believe it to be a fad or a gimmick, I am glad to say so far all changed their minds.

I guess time will prove one of us wrong :)

On a side note there a lot more than FP if you want to see some examples of different types just check out Chronos (third person rpg), Final approach (strategy simulation), Lucky Tale (platform), CastleStorm VR(tower defense), Galaxy Golf, VR Tennis Online.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
unzi said:
What you are describing is in fact the real world, just go out and play :).
On a side note i'm curious if you actually tried some roomscale? For me it what makes or breaks the immersion, its not perfect but it is really amazing, at least to me. I highly doubt that you played something like Raw Data or Brookhaven Experiment and feel like a passive observer.
The real world has well and truly screwed me over this year, I think I will stick to the virtual for now.

I haven't tried room-scale, the times I've got to try VR (friend's house, local computer store), there simply hasn't been the space available. Which kind of brings us back to the holo-deck really, in regard of needing a dedicated space.

But please don't think that I am completely anti VR. I was watching a movie on my friend's VIVE in a virtual theatre and I genuinely forgot, when I stood up to go to the toilet, that I wasn't in a cinema. In that passive experience the VR completely pulled me in, it is the interactive stuff that has so far to go.