Zero Punctuation: Portal 2

The Electro Gypsy

Aug 10, 2010
Yay the Portal 2 review. I'm so glad he picked up on the hat thing (and the absurd length between puzzles, but personally I could live with that). The hats really can just fuck off, they and the items ruined TF2. But while they ruined TF2, I don't hate them cos Valve were experimenting which is more than can be said for most companies, I just wish they stayed away from other good games that don't want ruining.

Also, this means he either got it on PC or PS3, and I'm banking on the PC, so woo (now stop getting games on the XBox if they're not exclusive D:)

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Did he just say that there's no potential for new meme's in Portal 2? Have you been paying attention the last few weeks Yahtzee? Does space ring a bell, or lemons?

Serge A. Storms

Oct 7, 2009
The really massive puzzles in the middle of the game bugged me at first but I got used to looking for the right spot and in retrospect it makes sense that they'd take full advantage of the "gun" part of the portal gun. Honestly the only thing about the entire experience that I was legitimately disappointed about was that all the really massive levels are all so dark and brown.

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
HankMan said:
When it comes to decent sequels, Portal 2...
Takes the Cake!
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
You're my favorite poster.
Ever.

OT: No Memes?
SPACE LEMONS.
HA.
Though you're right, it was a little too spacey. (Eyyy). Especially "The Fall" level, I thought.
Still great though!

Slash Joel

Apr 7, 2011
What i want to see is a flame war. Come on people put those troll faces on with half of u defending Yahztee and half of u screaming blood murder at him or we can all just scream at him. This video was a dissapointment he has yet to realize that he is just as funny being positive as he is when he is negative.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I'll join the "very fair" chorus. I would have been happy to excuse the easy of the main quest if there was an option for harder stand alone puzzles . . . just like Portal 1. Instead even the toughest puzzles in Portal 2 didn't stand up to the toughest puzzles of the Portal 1 campaign and that was quite disappointing.

Gigatoast

Apr 7, 2010
Actually, there was ONE reference to cake in Portal 2, you may not have seen it.

Is it just me or is Yahtzee the Hipster Cat of game reviewers, the less money a game has behind it the better it is I guess. Well in that case QWOP is the best game ever made.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Nice review, good to see Yahtzee finding positive stuff.
Though I don't see Portal 2 inferior to the original. I actually think it had a better ending. However, Portal 1 had it's own pros.
SO they balance out, in some weird way. Anyways, so far the Portal series has been damn enjoyable.

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
Steve the Pocket said:
Very, VERY surprised he didn't complain at all about the shameless retconning of the first game. Given how he feels about shameless sequels, even if Portal 2 doesn't qualify as one by a wide margin, I would think yoinking away a happy ending in a patch, just so there can be a sequel, would be on his top-ten list of biggest dick moves a developer can pull.
Maybe this is just me, but I never thought the original ending to Portal was all that happy...I felt as though I was laying on my back, dying slowly of explosionitus on the ground. Portal 2's ending is a lot more definitively happy and I liked it quite a lot.

Tom Hill

Jun 28, 2010
You sir are acting as if you were raped by scarlett johansson, telling yourself you didn't love it. but by god you did.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
No I thought Y man might pick up that the "biggest moron ever created" is inexplicably the only person in the Half Life UNIVERSE with a British accent.

As for hats I too was disappointed by the design. I unlocked only the beany hat. Looks fine on my cone head guy as it morphs into a cone shape such as one might imagine it would looked pulled tight on his misshapen pinhead. In the icon it is human shaped but when he wears it BAM its conforms to his head. I like that.

Now when my round fellow wears it it is still cone shaped. Which is odd because he is basically a sphere. After putting the hat on he is a now sphere with an inexplicably stiff woolen cone pasted on top like a party hat. I expected it to be pulled down on his head shaped like half a circle, but they decided to make the hat look the same for both.
o> and O->

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
I find it annoying that you, self-proclaimed lover of quality in game stories, didn't even bring up the game's thematic depth. A game that actually discusses abusive motherhood is worthy of praise, methinks.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
IIRC, the creators of Portal 2 got fucking tired of the fanbase cracking "Cake is a Lie" jokes to them at cons and Q&As about the game, or some shit, so they decided "Fuck it! No cake for you!"

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
AssassinJoe said:
If Portal 3 takes place in space, how would momentum work?
The Experimental Aperture Science Stellar Gravitation and Inertia Simulator? I'm sure they could make a whole bunch of new puzzles based on physics in space.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
TimeLord said:
No memes?

Well my response to that is Lemons and Spaaaaaaaaaaaace!
I personally believe people only found those memes in this game because they were looking for them. They are nowhere near as memorable as the cake.

By the way, I love the doctor who reference in your title thingy :)

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Nothing memetic? If reddit is a barometer, Cave Johnson's lemon rant would disagree with you.
So would Space Core [http://spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccee.com/].

Meanwhile, I'll happily laugh at the defective turret dialog by myself, as everyone seems to be ignoring those poor broken turrets.