Zero Punctuation: Red Dead Redemption

VincentMm

Feb 13, 2009
I haven't seen any glitches, but apart from that the review was dead on.
The whole game is pointless but entertaining and pretty.

Psychoholic420

Apr 8, 2010
I have the PS3 version, and I honestly haven't had much problems with glitches. It froze once on me, and one time I tried jumping out of behind cover, and I just flew straight up. Probably about a 9 story jump, then I fell to my death. I still shot the guy on the way down, so I more got a laugh out of it then anything. Good review, but I still say people should buy this game.

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
Erm, Yahtzee! You could have changed the targeting to be on expert mode then you wouldn't have your guns auto-aim, ya big galoot!

Spot on though. I'm really glad you brought up how the other people try to run you off the road because I felt they really were! Too many times had I needed to circle around to get back on the road because a tag along NPC decided to throw me in the opposite direction. Excuse me, NPC. It's called manners!

"Red Dead" comes from John Marston's death, I believe. As would "Redemption"

Surprised there was no joke on the title being called RED dead REDemption.

I dunno where everyone is having all these bug issues. I've yet to have anything interesting happen with Red Dead and I'm only two achievements away from completing it.

And on a side note, GOD DAMN COUGARS. Meanest animals I've ever seen in a video game.

PeterDawson

Feb 10, 2009
I always love how Yahtzee seems to experience bugs that I never get. It's like the companies know which copy he'll get so they rig it to annoy the piss out of him.

Anyhow I noticed the one hour travel remark and I suspect he didn't master the fast-travel system, as I'm sure several others pointed out. Granted it is a bit confusing...

ghosttr

Mar 22, 2009
Please, please for fucks sake take out the giant fucking ad that surrounds the video. I like to watch zp on my phone but nooooooooo, the ad says. Getting in the way and making the video unfucking playable.

I mean is it that your soo strapped for cash that you have to make an ad that takes up all space around the video area? Or are you deliberately trying to piss off any of us who choose to not be anchored to their computer like a ball and chain?

adam5396

Feb 12, 2010
I just noticed that one of the funny titles for the game was Purple Monkey Dishwasher. Which was on a simpsons episode where bart was trying to keep the teachers on strike.

Anyway, good review. I agree with the movement problems. One time my character kept bouncing into a wall while I trying to get him to walk down the street. It's still a fun game though.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Why do people still post "reviews" of Yahtzee's review? Are they still under the impression that they're going to change his mind?

More importantly, why do people always try to downplay the flaws? Is it a justification for buying a mediocre game? I've mostly enjoyed playing RDR, but the flaws cited in the video are all very, very real. The travel time wouldn't be an issue, save for the fact that it frequently takes just as long to "fast travel" and *load* a new area as it would to simply *ride* to that area.

Virtual_Dom

Jul 3, 2009
I played this game on a PS3 and I barely have any glithces (like 3 in 40 hours of play)
Even so I agree with everything he said, but I just don't know what he wants in a sandbox anymore.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I love the simpsons reference he snuck in there.
Bart during teacher strike-"I hear Skinner says the teacher will crack any minute, Pass it on"
goes from person to person like the game telephone
guy on strike-"Skinner says the teachers will crack any minute purple monkey dishwasher"

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
SonicKoala said:
Hm, he spent the overwhelming majority of the review hating on the game, and then at the end we hear the words "beautifully written and beautifully atmospheric" - have to say, didn't see that coming. Regardless, it really seems like this game is worth checking out.
You haven't been watching Zero Punctuation for very long have you? With the exception of Portal, even if he really likes a game, he'll still spend the majority of the review tearing it apart.

And it's weird, I've heard so many stories about people getting glitches, but I never got a single one. I must be extremely lucky.

And for the record, if you're traveling with someone on horseback, you can hold A to make your horse both match their speed and turn with them, so you shouldn't ever really get run off the road or anything like that.

Also, for most combat sequences you DO run automatically, (though you do have to tap A to sprint).

If you tire of the auto-aim, go to options and set the aiming mode to expert (I did this). It gets rid of the auto-aim altogether and turns the game from simply shooting fish in a barrel into something actually challenging.

Turning around is a *****. For some reason he can't simply turn, he has to make a circle. Might as well have put a sign on his ass that said "Warning: Makes wide turns" and replaced wide with moronic.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
My1stLuvJak said:
SonicKoala said:
Hm, he spent the overwhelming majority of the review hating on the game, and then at the end we hear the words "beautifully written and beautifully atmospheric" - have to say, didn't see that coming. Regardless, it really seems like this game is worth checking out.
Really? You didn't think he'd say that one of Rockstar's games was pretty?

I love how you're taking that as a *OMG, I should take a look at this game*. There are many things in this world that are pretty to look at, but for videogames, that is the absolute last quality I need to have. You should read some other articles on this site, like the one "Experienced Points" that talks about graphics and how we don't need to progress any further in that department. I don't like to feel like a game is purposefully wasting my time - for me, riding through pretty landscape with little to nothing in the way of distraction is beyond boring. Not to say that I always need purpose in a game, but the only time where inbetween travel is fun is in Shadows of the Colossus; where I'm expected to find my way around without someone holding my hand, without a map, and, further, I will find a gargantuan boss to crawl all over and slay at the end of my journey.
"Beautifully written and atmospheric" does not translate to "looks pretty" - writing has absoloutely NOTHING to do with graphics, nor does atmosphere; a game can have relatively mediocre graphics and still have great atmosphere. Your misinterpretation of my original comment is absoloutely baffling.

Secondly, he said other things about the game other than "it looks good" - I'm not thinking about checking out the game because it looks pretty, I really don't care that strongly about graphics, but I'm glad you felt the need to be loquacious and post your little blurb on the relative unimportance of graphics when it comes to delivering a positive gaming experience.

And I read every little thing this site has to offer, thank you very much. Please, before you respond to somebody in the future, could you please read what the person actually said, and then post something which is actually relavent to that original comment.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Hexenwolf said:
SonicKoala said:
You haven't been watching Zero Punctuation for very long have you? With the exception of Portal, even if he really likes a game, he'll still spend the majority of the review tearing it apart.
Yeah, only been watching it for about 2 years or so. So yeah, relatively unexperienced on the subject. Thank you for your profoundly pointless reply, though, I really appreciated that.

I'm fully aware of his review style, he just hadn't made the slightest mention of the story, apart from a small jab at the beginning - to later call the writing "beautiful" was a tad surprising.

Qixote

Oct 7, 2007
damn, there is just no pleasing this guy. And what does he mean the horse is "stuck in a wall"? The horses were implemented very well, better than any other game has in the past. Was he riding a mule during the whole game? I'm guessing he pissed on this game because it's about the American old west, and he always pisses on us Americans.

And what is with his complaint of always having to look at the horse's ass? It's a third person game, so what else would he expect to see?

I used to be entertained by his weekly "reviews". But in the past year he has just lost his ability to be a reviewer, an entertainer, a comedian, or whatever else he is pretending to be.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Every week I laugh myself stupid at the people who trundle out the tired excuse "he's a comedian not a critic so therefore the game must be good and you shouldn't take his advice".

Not getting Red Dead Redemption, personally. Although my suspicions were more set off by every other reviewer giving this game a 9.5 the day of launch and lauding it for such incredible depth - just like they did with GTA IV.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
Totally dead-on about the controls. It's the same reason I had a hard time getting into GTAIV, everything just feels sluggish and sloppy.

Although, I'm something of a fan of the Western genre, so I was just happy to have a setting like New Austin to run around in.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
SonicKoala said:
Hexenwolf said:
SonicKoala said:
Yeah, only been watching it for about 2 years or so. So yeah, relatively unexperienced on the subject. Thank you for your profoundly pointless reply, though, I really appreciated that.

I'm fully aware of his review style, he just hadn't made the slightest mention of the story, apart from a small jab at the beginning - to later call the writing "beautiful" was a tad surprising.
And thank you for that sarcastic and mildly insulting reply to a perfectly innocent post. I really appreciated that.

I was not trying to insult you, you know. There are new viewers constantly, and at a glance it's perfectly impossible to tell who's been watching for 2 weeks and who's been watching for 2 years.

KingArmery

Feb 3, 2010
KoreyGM said:
I find it weird that people are constantly complaining about glitches when I did everything I could in the game and ran into very few and none that would annoy me. Maybe it's just the Xbox version everyone complains about.
I got the Xbox version and I too had very few problems. The only bugs/glitches I ran into was once the game froze (which didn't really annoy me since I had just saved) and also my horse fell off a cliff when I whistled it. Other than that, there wasn't any to complain about this much.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007

Okay, I am not one who is going to sing the praises of "Red Dead Redemption" to the high heavens despite liking the game quite a bit. However I am in the odd position of saying what a lot of other people (who I typically disagree with) have said to Yahtzee in the past, about him not having played the game he's reviewing. By this I do not mean "didn't play it right", or "didn't play it enough", but when he's talking about these glitches I can't say that I've run into anything he's talked about for the most part. What's more when he talks about the mini-games he comments on them being pointless, but a lot of those side tasks are connected to obtaining various outfits to change the protaganist's appearance. Not to mention the aquisition of Fame and Honor/Dishonor (depending on what your doing) which unlocks differant perks depending on where you are on the meter.

Though I will say I sort of agree with Yahtzee on the title. However I tend to think the "Red", being used in relation to a lot of games nowadays, comes from a subversive tone of idealized communism. People have talked about this in the "Red Faction" games (where it also has a dual meaning with Mars being the red planet), here I tended to notice that a lot of the philsophical jabbering that is going on tends to ultimatly be very anti-capitolist, anti-progress, and to an extent anti-goverment (at least the one in the US). I don't think you have to agree with what is being said to appreciate the game, but I suspect this might have something to do with the title. It's not "beat you over the head" ridiculous about it, despite the bias.

Basically I can get where the "Red" and the "Redemption" comes from looking at the content of the game, but I'm not entirely sure about the "Dead" part, though the ending of the game might have something to do with it.

I could of course be entirely wrong, I suppose unless Rock Star explains it (if they haven't already) we'll never know for sure. In the end it doesn't much matter.

It's also vaguely possible that they simply decided to start subscribing to the Japanese system of naming things, which is just to throw a bunch of random stuff out there most of the time. For example there was this one Anime called "Plastic Little"... it was about a busty teenager who commands a private mercenary whale-capturing submarine she inherited, that happens to be powerful enough to stand off the combined military forces of the planet it's on. She winds up using this, and other technology at her disposal, to protect an orphan caught up in a govermental coup. What the name "Plastic Little" has to do with any of this, and how anyone is supposed to even remotely infer what it's about from that title, is beyond me. However names like that have been occuring for decades, and I guess it shouldn't surprise me that with the way the East and West have been mingling pop culture recently, that some western companies wouldn't jump on the band wagon.