Zero Punctuation: Remember Me

Mark B

Nov 5, 2007
Thats one of the more positive reviews I've seen of that game.

Thought about getting a new song\sequence that ones wearing a bit thin with most of the games in it some kids refer to as "retro".

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I dunno. I feel like if there was ever a year where we don't need him to tell us what to think about E3 two whole weeks after it happened, it's this year. Back in the day, people actually used to get excited about E3, and Yahtzee was the lone dissenting voice. But nowadays everyone's like "Oh, yawn, an expensive event where companies try to get us to still care what they're doing." Even when two of them have a new console to unveil, we can't be bothered to really care. Besides, he already devoted a video to taking the piss out of those.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WaitWHAT said:
Was that little snark about "Remember Me"'s name perhaps a little jab at another member [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10362-Remember-Me-Review-Sadly-Forgettable] of the Escapist staff? Wassamatter, Yahtzee? Couldn't share the coffee mug with them in the break room or something?
Everybody and their mother made the same joke, so I doubt we can point at any one guy. Besides, the break room is in North Carolina. If I live Downunder, I'd be pissed, too!

DVS BSTrD said:
Maybe the twist is she only wiped her memory because she's actually a...

*puts on sunglasses*

...Nil-ist
I was going to call that a bad joke, but I think you Nil-ed it.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
The game had some very interesting concepts and yet it was reviewed rather poorly/average by everyone. Guess I'm just a sucker for new fresh things then.

Guess they don't like new IP's and have to be critical about everything.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
From what I have heard, the combo creator makes it ridiculously easy due to some of the available moves. Considering the memory altering part doesn't sound very frequent either, the game seems like it'd get pretty repetitive and easy to beat, which isn't that appealing. I don't mind games not being too much of a challenge, but when there also isn't much variety it doesn't seem like it'll have much re-playability.

On a side note, why do I suspect the use of the word rape in this video won't get a huge negative reaction?

Strain42 said:
One of the very rare cases where Yahtzee reviews a game that I'm on the fence about buying (usually it's either one I know I'm gonna get or already know I have no interest in) so this was a pleasant surprise for me. I'm glad to hear it was actually not all that bad, but I'm still not going to shell out sixty bucks for it.
The same for me really. Normally it's either a game I have, or one that I have no interest in. In this case I am also still not particularly swayed into getting it, although perhaps in a few months time when the price drops considerably.
DarkhoIlow said:
The game had some very interesting concepts and yet it was reviewed rather poorly/average by everyone. Guess I'm just a sucker for new fresh things then.

Guess they don't like new IP's and have to be critical about everything.
New and fresh things are great, but generally speaking they are also unpolished. A lot of companies do recycle things, but they have normally nailed the actual mechanics. People can mock things such as COD for the lack of innovation, but nobody can deny that they have the technical side nailed.

I suspect if they made a sequel and had the time to improve and expand then it'd be much more positively received.

Christian Enriquez

Jun 13, 2011
if you want to see a good use to the "manipulate objects to alter the past" then check out Ghost Trick for the DS. Masterfull game, and made by the same guys that did the Ace Attourney games!

Voren

Jun 26, 2010
As someone who bought this both because I like Cyberpunk and wanted to support the idea of female main characters....I gotta say it's complete ass.

You are literary in a Hall like in final Fantasy 13 the whole game. Wanna go back? Nope, doors appeared behind you and closed and you can't go back. Any other direction? Dead end, tough shit.

The dialogue is fucking terrible.

If you like character development it pretty doesn't exist. Sensen is evil because they just are and like Yahtzee said all the villains are paper thin and over the top for no fucking reason.

The voice acting for Nilin is barely ok and her accent is more distracting than anything considering no one else seems to have one at all. I take it she's the only European in France, since everyone else sounds American.

The fucking Pop ups...dear god. Right the middle of a fight "HEY YOU JUST GOT A SKILL POINT AND AM NOT GONNA LEAVE THE SCREEN UNTIL YOU GO AND USE IT" or "YOU JUST UNLOCKED A NEW COMBO! GO SEE IT NOW! NOOOOOOOW! FUCK THE FIGHT, GO SEE IT!"

kogane

Apr 11, 2009
There's nothing quite like the feeling you experience when Yahtzee doesn't tear a game that you like a new one.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Hm...I want to at least play this, because I want to support new ideas. But I don't want to pay $60 for it. Because it doesn't seem to be worth that.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Glad to see Yahtzee didn't go out of his way to dump on the title, like virtually every other self-professed critic has. Most of them seem to have misunderstood the combat system entirely too, so it's been unfairly chewed out in that regard.
I'm not entirely sure I agree about the visual comparison to Mirror's Edge, though. Apart from a handful sequences it evokes a more dirty urban aesthetic than Mirror's Edge did.

At the end of the day, I thought Remember Me was a perfectly decent and often inspired, title in spite of its clumsy writing, and it's my game of the year so far alongside Papers Please.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Strain42 said:
One of the very rare cases where Yahtzee reviews a game that I'm on the fence about buying (usually it's either one I know I'm gonna get or already know I have no interest in) so this was a pleasant surprise for me. I'm glad to hear it was actually not all that bad, but I'm still not going to shell out sixty bucks for it.
It suffers not so much from being "bad" but from the very clear perception that it could have been *so* much more than it is. It could have been brilliant, but it just...wasn't. It was certainly passable, but it didn't do anything exceptionally well (and didn't draw enough attention to the only remotely unique mechanics in the game -- the memory remixing [itself vaguely reminiscent of Ghost Trick's gameplay]).

thaluikhain said:
This little red riding hood has a bucket full of kickass?

Yeah, that's impressively bad, even for a...

Nah, now I'm imagining Duke Nukem saying it in a really awful FPS and now it's funny, in a laughing at, not laughing with way.
The writing varies pretty wildly. Most of it is actually pretty good, but then there's the bits where you just get the feeling they had drunken interns write some of it, like bad anime filler.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Nice review. Despite Yahtzee's disappointment, I think he was overall very positive about it. I wouldn't be surprised if it winds up on his "Top 5" list at the end of the year

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
thaluikhain said:

Nah, now I'm imagining Duke Nukem saying it in a really awful FPS and now it's funny, in a laughing at, not laughing with way.
To be fair it's a part of a larger ongoing scene where Nilin is being hunted by a guy in a chopper. He has some truly, TRULY, awful one liners, most of them referring to her as "Little Red Riding Hood" so that quote isn't nearly as bad in comparison!

OT: I'm honestly surprised that Yahtzee was so kind to Remember Me. I thoroughly enjoyed it but I admit there's flaws and more than enough content to make fun of.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Haven't been following ZP as much lately, but this one was really funny, I was giggling throughout. Good work, Mr Croshaw!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
thaluikhain said:

To be fair it's a part of a larger ongoing scene where Nilin is being hunted by a guy in a chopper. He has some truly, TRULY, awful one liners, most of them referring to her as "Little Red Riding Hood" so that quote isn't nearly as bad in comparison!
Ah, well, that would make much more sense then.

Jun 23, 2008
I assumed that Edge was a nod to the demise of Tim Langdell's aggressive enforcement of the Edge Games trademark much in the same way that gratuitous sex and nudity in Spanish films is a nod to the end of General Franco's censorship-heavy regime: it's a statement of Yay! Free expression once again prevails!

I expect a similar thing to happen once we get from under the thumb of the ESRB's fear of disturbing players with graphic nudity, or realistic (unglorified) violence.

238U

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Proverbial Jon said:
thaluikhain said:

OT: I'm honestly surprised that Yahtzee was so kind to Remember Me. I thoroughly enjoyed it but I admit there's flaws and more than enough content to make fun of.
I felt kind of sad for that guy by the end of the game though. He's not all there after the first time Nilin goes rummaging around in his brain, even worse after the second round, and then the third one with the leapers and Nilin digging in there too.

He starts out something of a confident military type with some bad one-liners. The next time you see him somewhere about all that's left is that you are a bad, dangerous person (as he alerts other soldiers while fleeing). By the end of the game he's cowering in a corner while bits and pieces of his memory flash on distorted screens around him.

On something that has the potential to be more spoilery, I'll just say that some of the things the leapers say that just sounds batshit crazy makes much more sense in context and knowing what is going on.