Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil 7

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I forget who it was - I wanna say it was either Jim on his podcast or someone on TotalBiscuit's podcast - that pointed this out, but someone had noted that the Resident Evil series seems to follow its own special Rule Of Three.

-First Game is pretty good.
-Second game is not so bad.
-Third game shits itself.
Rinse and repeat, so we get
-Fourth game is pretty good.
-Fifth game is not so bad.
-Sixth game shits itself.
If the pattern holds again, well get another rinse and repeat:
-Seventh game is pretty good.
-Eighth game won't be so bad.
-Ninth game is gonna shit itself.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
RJ 17 said:
I forget who it was - I wanna say it was either Jim on his podcast or someone on TotalBiscuit's podcast - that pointed this out, but someone had noted that the Resident Evil series seems to follow its own special Rule Of Three.

If it was possible to like or star a post, I would do it to this. It's spot on.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
RJ 17 said:

But aren't there like...30 other Resident Evil games mixed in there? Outbreak, the Codes, something about railroads, Coke Zero, that one with the thing, and all the others.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Samtemdo8 said:
darkrage6 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Sigh this dissing of the old school Resident Evils prior to 4 upsets me so. Especially when it had the cooler and more intimidating monster designs than both 4, 5, 6, and 7 combined I mean look at these things:

Not me, i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks many people are looking at the early RE games through rose-tinted glasses.

But I own the games right now and play them consistantly. And barring the original first one (and to a degree Code: Veronica) they all hold up well.
I strongly disagree, I think 2 and 3 have aged horribly(hopefully the remake of 2 will fix the flaws the original had).

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Silentpony said:
RJ 17 said:

But aren't there like...30 other Resident Evil games mixed in there? Outbreak, the Codes, something about railroads, Coke Zero, that one with the thing, and all the others.
Not to mention the REmakes and REvelations

Best not to mention the Umbrella spin-off disasters either

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
But I own the games right now and play them consistantly. And barring the original first one (and to a degree Code: Veronica) they all hold up well.
Yeah, me too. Many early 3D PS1 games nowadays look like shit but the pre-rendered backgrounds still look great in 2 and 3, not so much in 1 but we have Remake for that.
RJ 17 said:
Weird, Nemesis was always my favourite. Why do you think it was so much worse than the first two?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
Sigh this dissing of the old school Resident Evils prior to 4 upsets me so. Especially when it had the cooler and more intimidating monster designs than both 4, 5, 6, and 7 combined I mean look at these things:
...where's Nemesis ya bastard? ;p

Samtemdo8 said:
Zero wants a word with you.

RJ 17 said:

...da fuq?

The list ignores mainstream entries like Code: Veronica and Zero, but even keeping it to the numbered entries...well, to each their own, but how the heck is RE1>RE2>RE3? While my personal view is RE3>RE2>RE1, most people consider RE2 to be the best of the early games.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Silentpony said:
RJ 17 said:

Well they are talking about the numbered games, and in that particular area, there does see to be an almost Star Trek like pattern.

Quality in regards to spin offs is a lot more erratic from what I've heard, although they've been taking a bit of a nose dive recently. *Looks at Umbrella Corps* Jesus Christ.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Silentpony said:
Indeed, but clearly the person who made that observation (again, I forget who it was/where I heard it) was focusing on the "main series" (i.e. the numbered games).

Hawki said:
...da fuq?

The list ignores mainstream entries like Code: Veronica and Zero, but even keeping it to the numbered entries...well, to each their own, but how the heck is RE1>RE2>RE3? While my personal view is RE3>RE2>RE1, most people consider RE2 to be the best of the early games.
Regarding the missing games: see above. :p

Regarding personal tastes: I've only ever played the first game and RE5...and I actually really enjoyed RE 5. So indeed: personal tastes, and all. Again, I was just recounting an observation that I heard someone bring up on a podcast.

Major_Tom said:
Weird, Nemesis was always my favourite. Why do you think it was so much worse than the first two?
See above. That list wasn't one that was based on my personal feelings (though - from what I've heard from friends that have played through the entire series - I'm inclined to agree with it). But I'm certainly not in any position to start bashing any of the games in the series since I'm not really that deep into the series in the first place, so by no means should my original post be seen as me attacking any of the games you like from the series. Again, I was just recounting an observation someone else had made.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
darkrage6 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
darkrage6 said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Not me, i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks many people are looking at the early RE games through rose-tinted glasses.

I strongly disagree, I think 2 and 3 have aged horribly(hopefully the remake of 2 will fix the flaws the original had).
And what was the problem that made RE 2 age and don't bring up the tank controls and fix camara angles because seriously, you are talking to a person that beaten Resident Evil 2 in under 2 hours.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Samtemdo8 said:
darkrage6 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
darkrage6 said:
Samtemdo8 said:

And what was the problem that made RE 2 age and don't bring up the tank controls and fix camara angles because seriously, you are talking to a person that beaten Resident Evil 2 in under 2 hours.
Well good for you, but I don't care how good you are at video games, that alone does not mean RE 2 has aged well.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Blazing Hero said:
I figured this one would be right up Yahtzee's ally. The beginning of the game is absolutely rock solid and Jack really is a fun antagonist. Still he is right about it shifting focus into action in the later half. The game would have been better served if Jack had been the central threat throughout the entire thing.
Oh man, what if it had turned out that Jack was a disgruntled Employee of Umbrella that was fired for some shit, and to get revenge he fucking experimented on his daughter Evelynn but shit when totally wrong while Mia was actually babysitting!

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
That line about Farmer Shovelfuck bursting out of the medicine cabinet killed me. I don't know why, but I'm still in tears.

So, I have to say I really, really like the look of this game. I haven't played a horror game in many years, because most of the big and popular ones (both indie and mainstream) gravitate towards jump scares a lot of the time, which I cannot handle well if they happen all the time. Is this game better about that sort of thing?

Also, I've never played a Resident Evil game. Ever. With the series having been described as a pile of mangled octopus giblets regarding plot and structure, is this a proper reboot? I would be awfully disappointed if it turned out I had to read up on over a dozen games worth of story in order to be able to follow what's going on in this game. Can I, as a potential new player to the series, expect to be able to comprehend the events unfolding on-screen?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
...where's Nemesis ya bastard? ;p

Samtemdo8 said:
Zero wants a word with you.

RJ 17 said:
1. Well Nemesis at this point is sitting on the fence between an intimidating monster and a campy monster. One the hand he's just Frakenstein's Monster wearing a Trenchcoat and using a Rocket Launcher, on the other hand he's a Frakenstein's Monster wearing a Trenchcoat and using a Rocket Launcher, THAT IS HUNTING YOU THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE GAME.

2. Zero is on my top 3 RE games.

Resident Evil 1 Remake
Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil Outbreak games.

The Dead Singer

Feb 19, 2014
Sonicron said:
That line about Farmer Shovelfuck bursting out of the medicine cabinet killed me. I don't know why, but I'm still in tears.

So, I have to say I really, really like the look of this game. I haven't played a horror game in many years, because most of the big and popular ones (both indie and mainstream) gravitate towards jump scares a lot of the time, which I cannot handle well if they happen all the time. Is this game better about that sort of thing?

Also, I've never played a Resident Evil game. Ever. With the series having been described as a pile of mangled octopus giblets regarding plot and structure, is this a proper reboot? I would be awfully disappointed if it turned out I had to read up on over a dozen games worth of story in order to be able to follow what's going on in this game. Can I, as a potential new player to the series, expect to be able to comprehend the events unfolding on-screen?
This game doesn't have any overt connections to any of the previous games at all, all connections with the series are gameplay wise (discarding first person perspective) and thematic (biochemical shit, being trapped in a mansion, etc). The only time the previous games actually show up is near the very end, where one of the main characters of the series shows up.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
The Dead Singer said:
This game doesn't have any overt connections to any of the previous games at all, all connections with the series are gameplay wise (discarding first person perspective) and thematic (biochemical shit, being trapped in a mansion, etc). The only time the previous games actually show up is near the very end, where one of the main characters of the series shows up.
That very much sounds like a mostly self-contained experience that's accessible to a layman like me. Which means I'll likely pick this up. Thank you kindly! :)

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Ah, Resident Evil... the only series Capcom will keep throwing it's weight behind, even when no one asks them to. Like... the REmake is good... and that's it. Good. Not great. Not Bad. Good. If you think that game holds a candle to modern video games, you're kidding yourself. It's still fun to go back and play now and again, but I think people have a drastically different idea of what 'holds up today' means than I do.

Not surprising that Resident Evil went the exact opposite direction of it's previous numbered entry - honestly, Revelations 2 was decent enough, but now this gem exists. It's pretty solid, I have to say, even as jaded as I am about old games from my childhood still coming back today, I thoroughly enjoyed my time playing through it. Too much of a reliance on jump-scares, though. I think the only reason combat was included at all in this game was to prevent being compared quite so heavily to games like Amnesia and Outlast.