Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil 7

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Escaping through a country house from an inbred family affected by an malevolent force... sounds like Clock Tower except you're a guy with a gun instead of a helpless teen girl.

On that note, where's our modern Clock Tower?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Dead Singer said:
Sonicron said:
That line about Farmer Shovelfuck bursting out of the medicine cabinet killed me. I don't know why, but I'm still in tears.

So, I have to say I really, really like the look of this game. I haven't played a horror game in many years, because most of the big and popular ones (both indie and mainstream) gravitate towards jump scares a lot of the time, which I cannot handle well if they happen all the time. Is this game better about that sort of thing?

Also, I've never played a Resident Evil game. Ever. With the series having been described as a pile of mangled octopus giblets regarding plot and structure, is this a proper reboot? I would be awfully disappointed if it turned out I had to read up on over a dozen games worth of story in order to be able to follow what's going on in this game. Can I, as a potential new player to the series, expect to be able to comprehend the events unfolding on-screen?
This game doesn't have any overt connections to any of the previous games at all, all connections with the series are gameplay wise (discarding first person perspective) and thematic (biochemical shit, being trapped in a mansion, etc). The only time the previous games actually show up is near the very end, where one of the main characters of the series shows up.
Is he though? There's some discussion about whether he's supposed to be whom he appears to be.