Zero Punctuation: Risen 2: Dark Waters

Slaingod

Apr 22, 2009
Loved the Half-Life video Yahtzee. Good stuff, not this game though. Terrible, terrible game.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
It's a shame the game suffers from so many flaws. I kinda liked the idea of a non-traditional themed RPG. Oh well...

Loved the outro skit. Witty dialog, as usual. Good show Mr. Croshaw.

The Great JT said:
The ending bit was good. And really, who does like Barney?
Me. :(

Though, he does still owe me that beer; that cheeky bastard.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
To answer my question from yesterday's post, The WATCHMEN joke in the Half-Life radio bit was "Dr. Juspiczik (sp?) from Quantum Entanglement", referring to Silk Sectre II and Dr. Manhattan.

And for the record, I like Barney Calhoun too.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Thomas fucking Dolby, Yahtzee you bastard, now I have that stuck in my head.

Regarding the review, I guess I'll stick to Sid Meier's Pirates! then...

Hutzpah Chicken said:
The Half-Life bit was great. I wish this was a sign that Black Mesa Source is finally ready.
Funny really as this is the week were we learned that they are at least still working on Black Mesa.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I got it myself and I found enjoyable even with it's design flaws.Have been waiting to play a pirate themed RPG for a while now.

Love the epilogue part as well,don't think I've seen that in any other video that you've made.Hope to see more in the future.

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
The game is set in Risen 1 theme and not a pirates theme obviously, they just made it more pirate related. its just a continuation of Risen 1 and you even play the main character from that game. And yes the game only looks nice, little of the game/combat mechanics has changed from gothic 3, even as far back as gothic 1 a 2001 game which is a bit sad, i was hoping for a combat revamp in this one, rather they just made the attack spam easier. The game being german Primary languaged makes the voice acting a bit bad at times to ofc.

Like the idea of islands to visit then the huge Gothic 3 / oblivion / skyrim'esque maps that are pain just to walk across which also concentrates the interesting areas more..

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Hooray the return of the ending sketches! Sector 7-g, I see what you did there.

As for the waining popularity of pirates over say, zombies, it's a little harder to get into things that you might actually run into in the world and murder you for your boat.

nitrium oxide

Jun 10, 2011
I'm thoroughly enjoying Risen 2. Yes, it's very cheesy, the graphics aren't AAA, the acting is a bit dodgy, but the game is FUN. It's a shame Yahtzee didn't try Voodoo (Risen 2 doesn't have anything like a traditional magic system). Possessing people, cursing them with a voodoo doll, and turning them against each other is a lot more interesting than shooting lightening from your fingers. Seriously, I am enjoying this game more than I did Skyrim. Skyrim was often a grind - Risen 2 (so far) has never felt like "work".
As others have pointed out, dodge during combat was added in a patch.

TheZaius

May 7, 2008
Heh heh heh, sector 7G.

There needs to be more games where you just sit around and listen to stuff.

WeirdNeville

Apr 27, 2009
Ha ha! Loving the De Monfort University Reference! Brave for an ex-pat brit living in Aus posting his wares to a largely US-Centric website.

I grew up in Leicester, my dad was a prof at the "real" university. De Monfort was called "Del Monte" because "The admissions man from Del Monte, he say yes!". Ha ha.... ahahahaha..... I'll get my coat.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Currently playing through Risen 1. I just got to act 2, also known as the point where the rather nice voice acting gets in the back seat and lets the infuriatingly hard combat take over. Fighting shit is too damn hard. Unless, of course, you overlevel it, in which case, it's too damn easy. Why is there no middle ground?

Jackle_666 said:
The last bit reminds me of how funny Yahtzee used to be
I think he needs a break.