Zero Punctuation: Rock Band 4

desverger

Dec 5, 2010
Kingjackl said:
Is there a way to turn off the make your own solos thing and just play the original? I've been wanting to get back into rhythm games and tossing up between which of the two to get. I'm not a fan of Guitar Hero Live's microtransactions, but at the same time I don't really want to do create-a-solo in Rock band 4. Decisions, decisions.
Yes, the freestyle solo feature can be turned off simply and without penalty. It's just an additional gimmick.

Rock Band 4's gameplay hasn't changed much since the previous installment. If you still enjoy these games (like I do), that's a good thing. If you're tired of them, then probably steer clear. FYI there will apparently not be a Rock Band 5 in this console generation, instead Rock Band 4 will be updated via patches (mostly free) so the blizzard of titles we got before hopefully won't happen, at least to the same extent.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
themutantlizard said:
Once you buy something you shouldn't have to keep paying for it and that includes video games if bought it then no micro transactions
So, do you think this game should just not allow you to play more than the 40 or so songs it comes with, or that Harmonix should have offered access to the entire Rock Band Network library for free, and eaten the licensing cost of several thousand dollars per copy in order to make you happy?

Granted, it would be nice if buying a song through Rock Band Network also netted you an MP3 of the song, in the same way that buying a ringtone on iTunes, back in the day, also got you the song or knocked a dollar off the price if you already had it... but I wouldn't really want to store my music library on my game box anyway. An arrangement like that would fare better on Steam, where you can download the song onto your PC and then transfer it to whatever else you play music on.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Great Gobblecock, I know AAA games have only increased in price over the last few years but they reeeeeeally seem to be taking the piss lately. Lego Dimensions = £100, Playstation Anniversary pack = £100, Rock Band = £200! What the fack!? I get that it's nearing the holiday season but do one, games industry!

I think it would be cool for Yahtzee to wait until the new year doldrums to do a Undertale review, might be interesting to see if/how his opinion changes after a bit. Not to mention I havn't played it yet, hard to do without a Steam account though, I hope it comes to the 3DS.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
themutantlizard said:
Once you buy something you shouldn't have to keep paying for it and that includes video games if bought it then no micro transactions
But new songs aren't what you paid for when you bought the game. When you buy an iPhone do you think you should be entitled to all of the songs on the iTunes storefront? A lot of work and money (licensing fees, etc) has to go into charting new DLC, it's not sustainable to give them for free.

Timf

Feb 4, 2014
Whenever I try and run a video on this site first a commercial plays. Then a promo for this site plays that prominently features Jim Sterling who I thought you fired. After that is over the actual video that I wanted to watch (ZP) never plays. It has been this way for a couple of weeks now.
Apparently the video is working for others judging by the comments but not for me

Leon Royce

Aug 22, 2014
proghead said:
Leon Royce said:
Meanwhile, Rocksmith...
Yeah. After buying that I lost all interest in plastic instrument games. If only the DLC songs weren't so expensive that buying them outside of a sale is a reason to put you into an asylum.
You should check out:

http://customsforge.com/

There are thousands of user made Rocksmith 2014 songs. You just need to copy a modified file called "D3DX9_42.dll" into your rocksmith steam folder. Then you will be able to access user made songs placed in the DLC folder. There should be instructions somewhere on the site or elsewhere online.

I don't remember where to find the modified D3DX9 file specifically, but looking around on google you shouldn't have any trouble.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
desverger said:
Kingjackl said:
Is there a way to turn off the make your own solos thing and just play the original? I've been wanting to get back into rhythm games and tossing up between which of the two to get. I'm not a fan of Guitar Hero Live's microtransactions, but at the same time I don't really want to do create-a-solo in Rock band 4. Decisions, decisions.
Yes, the freestyle solo feature can be turned off simply and without penalty. It's just an additional gimmick.

Rock Band 4's gameplay hasn't changed much since the previous installment. If you still enjoy these games (like I do), that's a good thing. If you're tired of them, then probably steer clear. FYI there will apparently not be a Rock Band 5 in this console generation, instead Rock Band 4 will be updated via patches (mostly free) so the blizzard of titles we got before hopefully won't happen, at least to the same extent.
Good to know. Yeah, I'd rather just start fresh with RB4 and supplement the song list with DLC. If there's any game type where I'm ok with microtransactions, it's music games. Guitar Hero Live sounds interesting, but I'd rather stick with the old familiar.

May 28, 2015
Silvanus said:
Just realised I only recently tend to comment on ZP videos when I'm griping, which isn't fair in the slightest. Funniest one I've watched in a while.
It just feels strange to post when you're not griping.

- How was that chocolate cake?
- It was okay. But I expected more.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
SlumlordThanatos said:
gillnavisingh said:
But seriously though - BUY UNDERTALE. IT'S SO GOOD!
Give me a reason why that isn't spoiler-iffic. The art style, music, and combat system are not valid reasons, because I don't care for any of those very much.

Back on topic, *ahem* Can't you turn the freestyle solos off? If not, I might need to reconsider picking Rock Band up. Which is sad, because I'm certainly not buying that thing that killed Guitar Hero, ripped its face off, and is wearing it as a mask in a vain hope to pass as the original.

Captcha: here's johnny

All these people talking about Undertale are starting to come across like Jack Torrence does.
I haven't bought Undertale, but I DID play the demo back when that came out, and that absolutely had me sold. I recommend giving that a shot, then, because it's very hard to describe what's good about Undertale without giving it away, because the mechanics are worked into the story itself, not unlike death in Demon's Souls being canon, but even deeper than that. Don't forget to read the manual fully both before and after finishing it =D

http://undertale.com/demo.htm

proghead

Apr 17, 2010
Leon Royce said:
proghead said:
Leon Royce said:
Meanwhile, Rocksmith...
Yeah. After buying that I lost all interest in plastic instrument games. If only the DLC songs weren't so expensive that buying them outside of a sale is a reason to put you into an asylum.
You should check out:

http://customsforge.com/

There are thousands of user made Rocksmith 2014 songs. You just need to copy a modified file called "D3DX9_42.dll" into your rocksmith steam folder. Then you will be able to access user made songs placed in the DLC folder. There should be instructions somewhere on the site or elsewhere online.

I don't remember where to find the modified D3DX9 file specifically, but looking around on google you shouldn't have any trouble.
Thanks. I shall check that out.

carewolf

Jan 10, 2015
SlumlordThanatos said:
Back on topic, *ahem* Can't you turn the freestyle solos off? If not, I might need to reconsider picking Rock Band up. Which is sad, because I'm certainly not buying that thing that killed Guitar Hero, ripped its face off, and is wearing it as a mask in a vain hope to pass as the original.
Wasn't Rockband made by the original people behind of Guitar Hero after their studio ripped them off and transfered their idea to new cheaper group for Guitar Hero 2?