Zero Punctuation: Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Was it worth $20? Nope. Was it worth the $5 I got it for due to a sale glitch at Gamestop? Oh hell yes! (pun intended)

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
Stryc9 said:
I got it for $5 through Gamestop so.....I'll get to it eventually. After hearing several other reviewers ***** about it replacing their version of the SR4 President with a generic male beefy standin I was quite surprised to see it put my Major Kusanagi lookalike President in the game though.
I would like to see pictures of her, since you've piqued my interest.
I'll see what I can do. I might have some screenshots laying around somewhere.

JagerBombastic

Mar 3, 2014
I played Gat out of hell and all I could keep saying to myself was that this is what Painkiller would be like a new one was to be made.

I also thought that it was still a bold, ball's to the wall adventure with all the fun and charm that has almost been heat blasted off of the face of my beloved games industry.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Cidward said:
I gotta co-sign Yahtzee's ambivalence to Johnny Gat. I do not get the SR series' fixation on him. I'll probably still pick this up eventually, though.
I think it's mostly due to his longevity. I believe it's just him and the Boss who've made it all the way since game one.
Though he wasn't in SR3 or 4, Dex is in the new game. He's not looking so great though. :D Best part about it is that you get to exact revenge on him. Over and over and over and over...

Gat out of Hell was a mixed bag for me. In descending order, my fave SR games are 4, 3, 2, and 1, but GooH put the brakes on all of the qualities that made me love the series more with each iteration. Except for the first game, the stories and the interactions between the characters were the series' greatest assets. Both of those are missing in GooH. Even playing co-op, there's no real-time interaction between Gat and Kinzie.

Despite the fact that GooH tossed out my favorite thing about Saints Row, the gameplay was still solid, and was just as much fun as SR4 (I know a lot of people slag the series for introducing superpowers, but I thought they were brilliant). The map was small, and yet quite interesting. My only gripe is the overuse of red, but you can't really create a hell without all of the lava and fire. I simply have problems focusing on the red/hot end of the color spectrum, so my complaint is nothing more than a personal issue related to my quirky biology.

For me, the gameplay was enhanced by the ability to play as Gat or Kinzie, my two favorite characters in the SR universe. If you seek out all of their commentaries, you learn some really funny distinctions between the two. For example, when Gat looks at one of the strip clubs, he comments about not wanting to know what goes on inside. When Kinzie looks at the exact same club, she says that she must remember to visit the place after they save the president. Loved that!

Lastly, I thought the game was a whole lot of fun playing co-op, but pretty damn hollow without someone else to play with. In earlier games, you could play solo and still feel like part of a team (in fact, I PREFER solo play in 3 and 4). Now, without all of the interaction between characters, playing solo felt far too isolating, and without a story to hold it together, the experience was like playing an explosive game of solitaire: blowing shit up was fun, but nobody else appreciated your effort or shared your joy of winning.

If I were to be perfectly honest, GooH is a game that I probably wouldn't have picked up if it wasn't another slice of Saints Row. It's for the die-hard fans, not anybody unfamiliar with (or on-the-fence about) the series.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
Stryc9 said:
I got it for $5 through Gamestop so.....I'll get to it eventually. After hearing several other reviewers ***** about it replacing their version of the SR4 President with a generic male beefy standin I was quite surprised to see it put my Major Kusanagi lookalike President in the game though.
Here she is, it's my character from SR3 but it wasn't hard to redo in SR4.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I liked it.

I've seen more than a few hells in videogames, but I think GooH did it pretty well.

Even when not playing the Boss, Volition does good in letting you play male or female, which makes me pretty happy. Moreso because they play identically.

Kinda wish there was a strip club, though. If there is one, I never found it. I mean I know it might be ... not that great, but still.

Sofox

Jan 3, 2014
step1999 said:
Note: He says the game reskins Steelport from SR3, but that's wrong. The game actually uses a mostly new city half Steelport's size with some hell versions of both Steelport and Stillwater landmarks thrown in.
Damn, that's actually an important detail for getting wrong, thank you for giving the correction.

Steelport is something I really disliked about SR3 (bland, badly designed, repetitive, ugh, I could write a lot more if I wasn't writing a simple forum reply), and made me hesitant about buying SRIV (the game was good enough to compensate), it's good to know the city is different for Gat.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
While I don't care for Gat all that much Kinzie Kensington was for me one of the most enjoyable characters in Saints Row the third.

I don't see the good stuff about the main hero as I barely remember what she did. I played a female. Sure she talked and such but that was it. So I'd rather play a character with a store attached to him/her.

I haven't bought this expansion yet and I don't think I will. Kinda got bored of Saints Row the third towards the end.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Stryc9 said:
Darth_Payn said:
Stryc9 said:
Here she is, it's my character from SR3 but it wasn't hard to redo in SR4.
Ah, very nice, and accurate. Must have taken quite some work to upload that.