Zero Punctuation: Shadow Warrior

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
What difficulty level were you playing on Yahtzee?
Can't complain something is too easy when you're playing on too easy.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Is there some other Shadow Warrior reboot?

Because I have the most recent one, and the cover art that Yahtzee used is different.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Where's Bcell? I feel like he should be rushing to the defense of this game.

Anyway, I bought this game during a steam sale for like 2 bucks, but I still haven't gotten around to playing it. This review has probably postponed my playing of it by several more months.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Ihateregistering1 said:
Man, did Yahtzee play the game on easy, or do I just suck that much? I thought the game was actually relatively difficult. I normally play shooters on hard, but I had to go with normal on Shadow Warrior because I was getting my ass handed to me.
I'd venture that its kind of easy if you use the guns instead of the sword.

Even the sword, if you take the heal power/stamina/dash upgrades, you can just do ballet pirouettes around everything while chipping away at it.

The only things that seemed seriously threatening were the dreadlocked teleporting ninjas, and even they can still be avoided via constant dodging until you can land a solid hit on them.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
CoCage said:
Speaking of immature jokes from Shadow Warrior; here's classic:

Yeah, that was racist and stereotypical even for the time. As Yahtzee mentioned, it's a good thing they dropped this like a bad habit in the reboot. I can't wait for the sequel.
Now I want to see Lo Wang in a rap battle with Chop Chop Master Onion.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
JCAll said:
CoCage said:
Speaking of immature jokes from Shadow Warrior; here's classic:

Yeah, that was racist and stereotypical even for the time. As Yahtzee mentioned, it's a good thing they dropped this like a bad habit in the reboot. I can't wait for the sequel.
Now I want to see Lo Wang in a rap battle with Chop Chop Master Onion.
I haven't heard that name in a long time. I never owned PaRappa the Rapper, but the times I rented it and played were fun.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
ah4o0o said:
shrekfan246 said:
Darth_Payn said:
They made more Painkiller games after the first one? Why am I just hearing about this today?!
Presumably because most of the follow-ups were not very well received.

OT: I liked Shadow Warrior, but I definitely agree it was a bit too long. Though, it took me far longer than eight hours to get through it, probably because I did spend a lot of time trying to explore for secrets (most of which I still ended up missing somehow).
Get over yourself.
Thank you, kind internet stranger, for showing me the error of my ways. I will surely repent now in however I've offended you and will strive to no longer... be so full of myself? I guess? I don't... what?

Are you upset because I said that the Painkiller games that followed the first one aren't very well-liked? Because that's demonstrable fact. Or did you take my small quip about managing to miss most of the secrets in Shadow Warrior as... me bragging that I'm good at video games? Or something? Because, if it helps at all, I regularly admit how utterly dreadful I am at games, and there's a whole load of Youtube videos as proof. I can't think of any other reason that I'd receive your particular response, given that I don't really think there's much present within my post to indicate there's anything I need to "get over".

(And yes, I'm being snarky and full of it on purpose now, because as said I don't believe there's anything in my post that would warrant me needing to "get over myself".)

ckretmsage

Nov 13, 2014
shrekfan246 said:
ah4o0o said:
shrekfan246 said:
Darth_Payn said:
They made more Painkiller games after the first one? Why am I just hearing about this today?!

OT: I liked Shadow Warrior, but I definitely agree it was a bit too long. Though, it took me far longer than eight hours to get through it, probably because I did spend a lot of time trying to explore for secrets (most of which I still ended up missing somehow).
Get over yourself.
Thank you, kind internet stranger, for showing me the error of my ways. I will surely repent now in however I've offended you and will strive to no longer... be so full of myself? I guess? I don't... what?

Are you upset because I said that the Painkiller games that followed the first one aren't very well-liked? Because that's demonstrable fact. Or did you take my small quip about managing to miss most of the secrets in Shadow Warrior as... me bragging that I'm good at video games? Or something? Because, if it helps at all, I regularly admit how utterly dreadful I am at games, and there's a whole load of Youtube videos as proof. I can't think of any other reason that I'd receive your particular response, given that I don't really think there's much present within my post to indicate there's anything I need to "get over".

(And yes, I'm being snarky and full of it on purpose now, because as said I don't believe there's anything in my post that would warrant me needing to "get over myself".)
I too, see no reason for you to get over yourself.

Unless, you have some cold that you might need to get over, then god speed.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
I watched some folks play this and they seemed to have a good time of it. Also the beginning bit with the honey badger was gold, Yahtzee you better treat dat Badger good man.

Oct 22, 2011
Oh yeah, the rating system was giving me a headache too. I think there was only one moment in the entire playthrough when i've managed to get 5*s. And i still don't get how it works.

The crafting/upgrade system was just there. It didn't bother me to much, but it didn't feel necessary either(On a side note: When it comes to weapon upgrades, I recommend unlocking dual SMG weild and Quad Shotgun when it's possible. Those guns really gain on ass-kicking factor this way, before that they felt kinda "meh" to me.) I heavily depended on using katana, maybe that's why i've died more times than Yahtzee(or i suck more, ofc).

Aside one level, that could use a minimap, i quite liked level design.

I'm surprised he didn't mention boss battles. If i had to pick the weakest element of SW it'd be those.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
ckretmsage said:
I too, see no reason for you to get over yourself.

Unless, you have some cold that you might need to get over, then god speed.
I've got a persistent cough, but that's something I've had for years and my brother has it too. Pretty sure it's post-nasal drip, though I suppose I should actually get it checked out one of these days. EDIT: Thanks for the thoughts, though!

Xsjadoblayde said:
shrekfan246 said:
Neatly snippled.
That was definitely a confusing reply, glad i wasn't the only one wondering where it came from. The only logic i could see was if you two had some awkward history and something triggered a seething, but unrelated response. That'll teach ye for peeing on their kids at christmas! ;)
I think the very few people who have actually had beef with me around here have mostly been banned by now, to be quite honest.

I do tend to be quite the party-pooper, though, with my completely serious responses and things.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
ah4o0o said:
shrekfan246 said:
Darth_Payn said:

Get over yourself.

Clearly he thought you under yourself. Being under yourself is not socially acceptable behavior, so he's reminding you to correct this by getting over yourself. Other things to be careful of are: going through yourself, getting between yourself, and the most egregious of all, getting on yourself.

Okay I'll stop.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Shadow Warrior was the most fun fps I've played in a long time and I'll stand by that. It just clicked with me, and as for Wang, well from the sec you see him singing You got the Touch I just loved the character, and yes he is a massive jerk <3

As for the rating system... It's just a mystery how it works, you're never given any feedback as to why you got a certain rating so one can only guess and fail.

shrekfan246 said:
I think the very few people who have actually had beef with me around here have mostly been banned by now, to be quite honest.

I do tend to be quite the party-pooper, though, with my completely serious responses and things.
I think it's the avatar, it's like she is constantly mocking me. STOP JUDGING ME WITH YOUR WEIRDLY CUTE HOODY

Grey_Area

Jun 26, 2008
Finally finished this game yesterday, today got to watch Yahtzee eviscerate it. Actually, I quite enjoyed it, and I thought the special attacks were pretty good, neither over-powered, nor too complicated, but requiring just enough skill to keep you running while charging them up.

I do agree on the point of Lo Wang's motivation though. I didn't get where he turned into some altruistic hero at the end. Who knows, maybe we'll get that in SW2, whenever that comes out.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
UberPubert said:
...and another great entry from the superb Flying Wild Hog studio, the creators of the excellent FPS title Hard Reset.
Was not sure if that was sarcasm until the end. Had me going for a second...

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
4Aces said:
Was not sure if that was sarcasm until the end. Had me going for a second...
Oh, I meant every word of it. My two favorite FPS titles of the past few years.

ah4o0o

Nov 21, 2014
shrekfan246 said:
ah4o0o said:
shrekfan246 said:
Darth_Payn said:

Get over yourself.

It was suppose to be a reply to CoCage, but it is still funny you got upset. It is even more funny I got a "warning" out of it.