Zero Punctuation: Silent Hill 2

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Hang on, you're suggesting Fahrenheit in a Zero Punctuation forum? Here's Yahtzee banging on about how Silent Hill gets along just fine without quick-time-events and you're suggesting a game that's pretty much held together by them.

On the other hand, I will admit it was a fairly decent game as far as story and premise went, but I stopped playing when those giant flea things chased me around the office. All the mystery and intrigue just fell away at that point, like pulling back the curtain in Wizard Of Oz. The game felt like a massive joke at that point and stopped being interesting for me.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Silent Hill 2 is indeed great. Me, I prefer 1, it's just creepier in places and moving past the graphics to meet the game is not necessarily a bad thing. For me, quality wise, 1 and 2 go hand in hand, then 3 and 4 go hand in hand behind them and the rest hasn't got a chipping clue as to where they are.

Daemit

Aug 19, 2009
lol'd at "There was a critic here. He is gone now."

Anyway, Yahtzee, you're my hero for reviewing the masterpiece that Silent Hill 2 is. This game fucked up my brain pretty bad and it is still the only game to this day I felt like weeping in the end. I felt absolutely exhausted emotionally and no game before or after (ok, maybe with the exception of Dreamfall) has had this power over me. I believe, this state of mind is called catharsis.

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
D4zZ said:
Nice to see him defending something rather than just mocking, makes a slight change I felt needed with these "reviews".
ZP would'nt be amusing if it was just another so called "critic" with the gaming industries balls resting on his chin giving "reviews" that inevitably end with "this game was awesome, go buy it! Yahtzee is funny because even when he is being really cruel ((see anything on the WII)) his points are salient and hard to argue with. I only had one experience with the WII, after seeing ZP, and I agreed with most of what he said.
Besides, nice people are'nt funny. If I wanted to watch some fag glorify an industry that is getting shittier every year, I could watch any number of dumb ass shows.

Yahtzee, you are still awesome. You keep making them, and I'll keep watching them.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The review reminded me that I really need yo buy this damn game, I've been putting it off for years.

BoldBaldBastard

Aug 19, 2009
There is a Silent Hill movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384537/

Just stating that, because in the review rant cartoon you mention like there isn't any.

Grtnx

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
There is a box art for Silent Hill Shattered Memories BTW, I don't know where it is (only seen it posted on a forum) but it's awesome.

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
Personally, I'm excited about Shattered Memories after hearing the developers talk about the things they've addressed, such as removing the clunky combat and instead focusing solely on the fear element of the game.

Natsu_Blaze

Jan 23, 2008
I was kind of surprised to see Yahtzee reviewing this too. I mean, as others have said, if you've heard of survival horror at all, you've heard of Silent Hill 2 and you know it's absolutely bloody amazing. I mean, there was a reason that when I reviewed a Silent Hill game for my first (and currently only) Youtube vid, I chose #3. (Which I honestly liked, by the way; it was a lot more willing to have fun with itself than 2 was. Borley Haunted Mansion, anyone?) But having played SH2 before (and therefore being able to get all the hidden little jokes), I really liked this review. Yahtzee was funny as always, and he actually makes sense when he talks about why the game's so amazing. Kind of makes me wonder what he thinks of Silent Hill's Tecmo-released cousin Fatal Frame, since that one is also hugely based on atmosphere.

Also...
"There was a critic here. He's gone now."
... You hear that? That's the pitter-patter of my little feet as I run screaming into the night, the terror of the pitch-black forests no match for my fear of Yahtzee.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Cogzwell said:
This reminds me of what could have made Dead Space scary which would have been your little suspended animation tube malfunctioned and you emerge 2 weeks or so late on a ship devoid of life so the fact that you were alone in space not knowing whether or not you were safe would be a little more real, and more of the half-bred scrawny aliens would act a little more like shambling zombies from left for dead, or better like witches you would have to avoid hundreds of to not invoke wrath. But yeah keep that final boss and keep a couple of the big baddies the same
That entire scenario would be a COMPLETE carbon-copy of System Shock 2.

arkwright

Apr 1, 2009
nice review. certainly a giggler at the dolphin part.

"Maybe I like Silent Hill because it reminds me of where my parents used to take me on holiday"

ive had holidays like that in dungerness.

Tanzka

Jan 7, 2009
Yes I hate being a boat too..
..what? Seriously, haha. :D
But yeah, I really need to play this game. If this is half as good as Yahtzee makes it sound I'll be traumatized for life and live in a closet for the rest of my life afraid of pyramids.

JoeKickAzz

Feb 22, 2009
i found this game in perfect condition with the booklet, in a crappy game store.

i bought it for 12 bucks and idk if i should open it cause its still sealed...

it might be worth a lot one day

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Yes, this is probably my favorite game of all time. Saying you can't enjoy it because you don't like the controls is like saying you can't enjoy the Godfather because it's not family-friendly. You're correct, but you're missing the point of the endeavor.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Good as always.

Never played Silent Hill tough. If I ever buy a new PS2 maybe I will....