Zero Punctuation: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
hoov said:
Quiet Stranger said:
I always knew this game was shit, but this review has just confirmed it more so, they took the BEST Silent Hill in the series and turned it into shit, they made Harry a fucking pussy and made the town of Silent Hill a joke, if they wanna do a true remake just take the first Silent Hill and up the graphics
You didn't pay much attention then, he said it wasn't bad and that's it's how a reboot of a series should be done, and praised the story.

The review pretty much echoed my own thoughts, They took the basic premise of Silent Hill and did their own thing with it, and tried out a few experimental ideas. Some of the ideas were misguided and didn't really work, and some of them could have worked if they'd executed them better, but it made for an interesting game with an enjoyable story nonetheless; it was a lot better than Homecoming.

If they keep making Silent Hill games then they need to try different things with the formula. Horror and predictable are two words that don't go together, which is why origins and homecoming failed, this at least tried something different.
I still think it sucks, I mean fucking no weapons? (except for flashlight) thats bullshit, and Silent Hill (the first one) the monsters are there because of Alessa not Harry, and taking away the evil cult is bull shit too cause then it's just an ordinary town with some mental case running around

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Tanzka said:
Brilliant, as always. The "bad in bed" part cracked me up immensely. Dunno why, must be tired.
I'm sure people have mentioned this to you, but he said "crap" in bed. But I'll be honest, if it really did say "bad in bed", the joke probably would have been about 5 times funnier.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
That was a lot more positive than I thought it was going to be, and I agreed with pretty much every point. So many cool gameplay ideas that were implemented imperfectly (the psych evaluations, the chase sequences, changing experiences all left something to be desired, but I liked them), that I just hope the next game (whatever it's supposed to be), refines them and builds from there.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
bjj hero said:
Having said that, Ice and snow is a blatant crutch to hide poor draw distances and pop up.
So's fog, and that's been a staple of Silent Hill from day one ;). I think Yahtzee pointed out in one of his Extra Punctuation columns that game-making isn't about having no limitations, but to know your limitations, and have them work for you.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
SamElliot said:
bjj hero said:
Having said that, Ice and snow is a blatant crutch to hide poor draw distances and pop up.
So's fog, and that's been a staple of Silent Hill from day one ;). I think Yahtzee pointed out in one of his Extra Punctuation columns that game-making isn't about having no limitations, but to know your limitations, and have them work for you.
No arguments from me, the difference is I'm more aware of the tricks of the trade than I was a decade ago.

DarkSpectre

Jan 25, 2010
He didn't totally rape it so it might be a decent game. I'd liked to know what the stop playing test for this one is.

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
Wahful said:
WOW! The first 5 commenters didnt get banned on a ZP video thread! The Escapist has finally learned! This is a gread day.

Anyways, i was actually considering buying this game, i still don't know however. The Wii hardware is whats putting me off.
it is also available for PS2 and PSP. I almost want to try it on PS@ to see what fucked up things it throws at me

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
J-Alfred said:
Aura Guardian said:
Dumping on the Wii get old so fast it's not funny. Actually it was never funny. Nintendo did release a proper next gen system. It's so successful that Sony and Microsoft would said that what Nintendo is doing was silly is now copying them to get the money Nintendo got. Plus, The Wii has a lot of great games. The ahem.."Hardcore" gamers are blind because they see other games that don't hold their attention. And in this generation of games...the games for the "hardcore" audience needs online,guns,blood,gore,guns,QTE, and guns. RPGS need to be in the Bioware status or needs to be well known(Final Fantasy). The Wii has Rpgs,shooters,platformers, and action titles. Games like Muramasa,Little King Story for example don't get noticed because the gamers who would love those types of games moved on to the shooter area.
You must point me to some of these games, because the only ones I've seen for the Wii are multi-console games that look and play significantly worse then their PS3/Xbox counterparts (ie, CoD 5) and the insulting casual gamer plague (Wii Sports, Music, etc.)

By the way, this is not intended to be trolling. I seriously want to know some examples of 'good' Wii games. My sister got a Wii for Christmas a while back, and while she is a casual gamer who is easiy amused by Animal Crossing and Boom Blox, I have been stuck with the watered down port of CoD 5. So, when I'm home for the summer, I want to play some good Wii games - which I do believe exist.

OT: Great video, Yahtzee. I like the snow instead of the fog. Don't know why, though.
The Animal Crossing for the Wii was a bit disappointing.

Muramasa The Demon Blade
Little Kings Story
Rune Factory
House of the Dead Overkill
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Battalion Wars 2
Metroid Prime 3(trilogy if you can find it)
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Sonic And SEGA All Star Racing
Red Steel 2
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Monster Hunter Tri
Pokemon Battle Revolution
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess(If you don't have the GC version)
The Conduit(Far better than COD W@W though short. Number 2 looks promising)
And a lot of upcoming ones. I'll list these for now since I'm in a rush

gamepopper101

Aug 12, 2009
"...and 'Possibly crap in bed'... Moving On!" XD

This episode has the best jokes in the entire series so far, all of them are great! Keep it up!

beetrain

Nov 17, 2009
So you're looking forward to NMH2 even though it's a sequel to a game whose uniqueness was its saving grace?

tadaaaaa

Nov 20, 2009
geldonyetich said:
misterprickly said:
I've said it before... I'll say it again.
Did he say if he liked it or not?
Yes.

Yahtzee tends not to flat out give games thumbs up or thumbs down on the grounds that this is the easy answer befitting to tools, but he will tell you the parts of the game he liked and the parts of the game he didn't like under the understanding you'll judge for yourself if that means you will like it.
He played it twice. That's a definite like.

lordwally

Apr 28, 2010
I can't believe No More Heroes 2 isn't out in Australia yet. I've already bought, beaten (thrice), and got bored with it already.

To save time, Yahtzee, you know the shift from realism between Condemned 1 and 2? Well take what little realism No More Heroes 1 had and reduce it to a gory Toonami cartoon.

Aug 13, 2008
MpSai said:
I dunno, am I the only one who thought the story was full of plotholes [http://mangapunksai.com/site/silent-hill-shattered-memories-follow-up-rant/] (spoilers)? I mean the revelation about Harry for one makes his ownership of a fancy hi-tech iPhone completely nonsensical. And I guessed who the person in therapy was within the first ten minutes (mind you I didn't quite know how it was going to work but was hoping against the dread that they were just going to go all Sixth Sense with it.)

I dunno how real people changing in appearance based on your choices is "psychological" either, they could have NOT done that and focused on making the Otherworld change instead. I swear they only chose ice because of the graphical limitations of the Wii.

And I was kind of annoyed that the town of Silent Hill seemingly had nothing to do with events, the story could have taken place anywhere, change the name of the town and characters and you'd swear it was just a rip-off of Alan Wake.
that article is complete bullshit written by a butthurt silent hill fan
the game never says when the therapy is, could be 18 years into the future, that would make considerably more sense no? hence harry not walking around in the 90s

the rest of the article... it's too stupid to argue with, he makes too many assumptions of what silent hill is to him, therefore what it must be in this game then why this game doesnt make sense assuming that... eurgh

and ice cause of graphical limitations? are you actually a tard? the ice has insanely good refractive effects going on, hell the general graphics on this game are as good as most hd games (minus the lack of anti aliasing on the shadows)
rust would have been far easier to do since you just need a red dull texture everything rather than making literally everything refractive and shiny which takes a lot more graphical power

jesus, some people will hate anything