Zero Punctuation: Sonic Forces

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Ouch, Yahtzee really tore into this one didn't he? The jokes about furries made me a little awkward, due to my... leanings.

Igor-Rowan said:
For months I looked up the internet and I think I finally found the one person responsible for the image problem of the Sonic fandom: Bryon Beaubien (aka PsyGuy), a guy that during the 2000's had a Deviantart account and a site dedicated to Sonic webcomics. And he recently had to leave the internet because of his accusations of sexually harassing underage girls piled up so much that no attorney wanted to work with him...

If Chris-chan makes Sonic fanboys look like weirdos, Psyguy is responsible for 90% of the jokes Yahtzee made in this video.
I'd never heard of that guy, and his page on Wikifur has bare bones. Chris-Chan on the other hand... ooohhh this guy! I hate him with a white-hot intensity, not just because how he makes Sonic fans look bad, but Autistic people, which I personally find VERY insulting. I swear to God if I had a Death Note...

Sorry, I have major issues with people who ruin things for everyone else...

One issue I have with the game is the limit of animals you can pick from. I dunno, I just thought they would have more variety. Apparently there were some in the planning stages...

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Ass Cancer Awareness Special now featuring special guest speaker John Cena.

What? Visiting kids with ass cancer is, like, half of what the guy does.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
CrazyGirl17 said:
I'd never heard of that guy, and his page on Wikifur has bare bones.
There's a reason for that, in 2014, when the accusations started to surface he went on a take down rampage, eliminating his deviantart, his YouTube channel, Fireball20XL, the webcomic site and Tumblr filled with his history. Now he changed his persona, now he is BitPolar and on Twitter the archives of his wrongdoings as Psyguy continue on Tumblr.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
aegix drakan said:
Honestly, I don't know why they didn't just iterate on/improve the Lost World (3DS) Formula. There was some damn good stuff in there, outside of the forced tilt controls, some puzzles being occasionally really slow and some of the wisps altering gameplay WAY too much.

Seriously, take that 3D parkour style mechanic thing, make more levels that fit that style of game, and make the Wisps behave like Mario powerups which just give you a nifty little extra thing you can do (like an extra jump, or a homing attack that can go through spikes, or shoot out particles that stun enemies, or whatever), and bam, voila, you have a pretty decent game!

sageoftruth said:
Maybe they're tired of writing the same simple plots, and want to move onto something that tests their creativity more in the story department, but are stuck with Sonic and his friends, because those bills aren't gonna pay themselves, so they just go "Ok! We haven't been able to do it yet, but maybe this time we can finally write a mature plot for Sonic that the fans will actually enjoy."
Well, they do a terrible job of it. I used to be one of the voices going "I want a serious sonic plot!". After how much I enjoyed the story in Colors and Lost World, though, I realize the series is best when the plot is lots of wacky silly hijinx with juuuust enough danger that you're willing to buy into it. Seriously, Sonic himself is at his best when he's a goofball ADD-ing his way through life occasionally taking the piss out of something and leaping before he looks.

Honestly, the general plot of forces was something I'd already thought of as a neat idea, but the point of that game would have been to point out that "Yo, these plots kinda suck when you try to make it seriously. Look how much better it is when Sonic gets freed from the robot he's stuck in and is now poking fun at everything!"

Some series are able to handle serious plots. Sonic is not one of them. It's brightly colored forest animals saving the world from a fat engineer by running really fast. Dark-ifying that kind of thing almost never ever works. Just don't try it.
Maybe I should watch more of that Lets Play I was following. I got just past the stage after Sonic was released. At that point, it was super-jarring, mainly because Sonic's behavior was hammering how just how much he didn't fit into a plot like this, as you had mentioned. Anyway, I agree. Team Sonic really needs to realize that grimdark themes do not suit the Sonic franchise at all.

Then again, I did see a video talking about Moe in anime and how the innocent appearances of the victims can making disturbing scenes all the more nerve-wracking or heart-wrenching. If they were to pull something like that off with Sonic, though, they'd have to completely de-radicalize Sonic and the others. Basically reduce him to a gibbering mess. I have to admit, the thought of seeing a completely horrified, Sonic, too terrified to even make a radical quip, would be pretty disturbing and might just work if used properly, but of course, this is Team Sonic we're talking about.

Jan 27, 2011
sageoftruth said:
Basically reduce him to a gibbering mess. I have to admit, the thought of seeing a completely horrified, Sonic, too terrified to even make a radical quip, would be pretty disturbing and might just work if used properly, but of course, this is Team Sonic we're talking about.
Hilariously, they actually did something like that (Albeit not that intense) in Lost World, and it was pretty damn good IMO.

Short story is that Sonic epically fucks up twice during the game (Releasing the main villains from Eggman's enslavement which put the entire world in danger, and being careless enough to get tails captured and nearly turned into a badnik), and by the time he confronts the villains at the end, alone, all he can muster up is a "Ughh...I'm gettin' REAL tired of you guys..." instead of his usual silly quips.

Fortunately, tails grew a spine in that game and proved himself to be cool under pressure and got himself out of the predicament Sonic's carelessness put him into, which was nice to see.

Seeing Sonic realize "Oh shit I fucked up" to "Oh shit I fucked up again and tails sacrificed himself for me, god I suck" to "I am just really pissed and not up for your shit, bad guys" back around to "Alright, I'm good! I should seriously listen to tails more often, he's definitely smarter than me" was a pretty good arc for him, with no need for serious business grimdark.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
aegix drakan said:
sageoftruth said:
Basically reduce him to a gibbering mess. I have to admit, the thought of seeing a completely horrified, Sonic, too terrified to even make a radical quip, would be pretty disturbing and might just work if used properly, but of course, this is Team Sonic we're talking about.
Hilariously, they actually did something like that (Albeit not that intense) in Lost World, and it was pretty damn good IMO.

Short story is that Sonic epically fucks up twice during the game (Releasing the main villains from Eggman's enslavement which put the entire world in danger, and being careless enough to get tails captured and nearly turned into a badnik), and by the time he confronts the villains at the end, alone, all he can muster up is a "Ughh...I'm gettin' REAL tired of you guys..." instead of his usual silly quips.

Fortunately, tails grew a spine in that game and proved himself to be cool under pressure and got himself out of the predicament Sonic's carelessness put him into, which was nice to see.

Seeing Sonic realize "Oh shit I fucked up" to "Oh shit I fucked up again and tails sacrificed himself for me, god I suck" to "I am just really pissed and not up for your shit, bad guys" back around to "Alright, I'm good! I should seriously listen to tails more often, he's definitely smarter than me" was a pretty good arc for him, with no need for serious business grimdark.
That IS interesting. I honestly cannot for the life of me picture a "Tired of all your shit" Sonic.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Lot of bestiality and pedophilia jokes in this one. Sloppy writing
Don't like the jokes, blame the fanbase, they're the ones supplying the material.
Eh, the furry angle maybe, but in my experience Sonic fans don't come off as child rapists.

Jan 27, 2011
sageoftruth said:
That IS interesting. I honestly cannot for the life of me picture a "Tired of all your shit" Sonic.

It pretty much just lasts for one scene and two lines (Plus one earlier scene where he wigs out at them threatening to turn him into a robot), but it was enough to make me go "oh, neat! Characterization!"

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Don't like the jokes, blame the fanbase, they're the ones supplying the material.
Eh, the furry angle maybe, but in my experience Sonic fans don't come off as child rapists.
Now that you mention it, Sanic does make out with an underage human girl at the end of 06.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Now that you mention it, Sanic does make out with an underage human girl at the end of 06.
Wait, there are people in Sonic games? I thought it was just cheap Disneyland knockoffs with that one Dr. Egg trying to do whatever.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Wait, there are people in Sonic games? I thought it was just cheap Disneyland knockoffs with that one Dr. Egg trying to do whatever.
Oh yeah there's people everywhere. And sometimes they make out with Sanic.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
The darker tone was a big mistake just as it was with Shadow the Hedgehog. Its a game about cartoon hedgehogs and their animal friends. The main character getting tortured for a few months doesn't mix with that.

I don't think darker tones and Sonic inherently are at odds with each other. Sonic adventure 2 did a decent job of adding a darker tone at the end of the game. But it worked because it was introduced so gradually and the darker tone only truly got into the plot at the very end of the game.
Because the game was such a Saterday morning cartoon before Gerald's appearance it actually worked. Gerald and his little speech where more chilling because it was unexpected and it was a good way to raise the stakes and force everyone to work together for a bit.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
Silentpony said:
No one seemed to care in so many of his past cartoons when it came to Dolphins and Horses so I don't see why it's suddenly an issue now when hedgehogs are arguably about as attractive as putting one's dick in a toaster

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
iller3 said:
Silentpony said:
No one seemed to care in so many of his past cartoons when it came to Dolphins and Horses so I don't see why it's suddenly an issue now when hedgehogs are arguably about as attractive as putting one's dick in a toaster
It felt different I guess. Before it was 'this game was so draining, it was like fucking a dolphin'. This episode was just 'fans of this game molest dogs'
It just felt sloppy.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I enjoyed the episode. Surprised the minor controversy is about rape jokes rather than the pronunciation of 'gif'.

But I'll be honest- as long as they're not actually suggesting raping someone or that rape is okay, it's a bit of a relief to hear someone mentioning rape in a humorous context. It feels a bit like everyone is holding their breath right now. Yahtzee referred to an inanimate, non-sentient object being raped in a metaphorical sense, and yet the earth didn't open and swallow anyone.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Welp, first time I come around here since gamergate essentially ruined the entire place and fuck me I'll be backing the fuck back out again, ciao o/

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Silentpony said:
Especially since everyone knows the hedgehog can never be buggered at all.