Zero Punctuation: South Park: The Stick of Truth - Yes, There Really Were Crying Koalas

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I'm surprised that Yahtzee didn't mention how Stick of Truth is a 12 hour Taco Bell commercial.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
LordTerminal said:
Glad he likes Stick of Truth but I'm not getting where the Earthbound comparisons are coming from. The most offensive Earthbound ever got was sentient vomit and a few misc. toilet jokes. That's tame compared to what South Park does.
Go watch someone play through the boss fights again and see if you notice anything.

Darxide

Dec 14, 2009
I haven't watched South Park in about 10 years so I wouldn't exactly call myself a fan. I just kind of stopped watching, but still found it humorous anytime I did catch a scene or two. I picked up this game after watching twenty minutes of a Twitch stream of someone playing it.

I laughed my ass off the whole way through. Perhaps it's because I haven't seen the show in so long so the jokes aren't old to me.

The gameplay itself is pretty damn solid. The only complaint is the same thing Yahtzee said about how easy it is to become overpowered. After a while, the only real challenge you come up against are the boss fights, some of which can be incredibly difficult out of nowhere, so they catch you by surprise (I'm looking at you, Al Gore).

I'd recommend this game to almost anyone. It's not the longest game in history and you can probably beat it in under a week without really trying, but if you take the time to enjoy all the game has, it could easily last you 30+ hours, which may or may not be worth the cost to you. Rent it from GameFly, instead. Even though the game theoretically has some replay value in that there are four distinct character classes to pick from, that's about where it ends. I haven't found reason enough to play through it a second time, just yet.

I would give it an 8.0/10 overall with points lost for how easy it is to become an unstoppable killing machine and for the short duration with lack of replay value.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Paper Mario but with South Park characters and settings?

Theoretically, there's nothing about that that I don't like. I absolutely adore the former and occasionally enjoy the latter, so...

Might have to give this a go.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
A good effort, combat could be tighter, QTE's aren't funny even ironically, I guess they succeeded if making male abortions horrifyingly disgusting was their goal, and the game spent a lot of time dredging up old jokes from the show. Plus it ends so abruptly you'd think they were just making an episode of the show. You just start getting into the simple story line and them bam, it's done, with every little plot threat that might have meant something tied off so anticlimactically you'd think they were trying to turn this into a yearly franchise. And it's hard to say that the creators were TRYING to make that kind of joke because if they didn't they can just use it as an excuse now.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Yay, I was wondering if he was going to do this game. I wonder what class he played.

The game hit all the right marks for me so I loved it. I am a south park fan and enjoyed all the references. As a game, it's alright but suffers from extreme balance issues, the biggest of which is that enemies scale but loot doesn't.

Still, I absolutely loved the game(93 hours played over 6-7 playthroughs). Definitely not a mass appeal game though.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Uratoh said:
...Did I see a reference to the Enigma of Amigara Fault in there?
Yes. Yes you did. I came here to bring that up as well.

EDIT: Wow. Not only was I ninja'd, my response was ninja'd, as was the beginning of my post. That's freaking weird.

GETbacon

Oct 13, 2009
As someone who never watched the show, I still had fun with it.

And while Yahtzee talked about being overpowered, why is that bad? Better then grinding like a matradee at a steak house and strip club to be on par with the regular enemy. Also while it is a shame that the game has been censored, the Probe scene is absurdly hard so it's kinda a catch 20-2. He was right about it being short though, but only in comparison to other RPG's at full price.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
See, I kind of prefer the show as it is now to how it began. Yeah, it may not be as shocking as before, but I reckon the writing has actually gotten stronger (for what that's worth). Series 6 was where it got really good for me.

As for the game, I enjoyed it a lot, but I get where Yahtzee's coming from. The combat being so easy is the biggest issue with the game, but he's right in that as funny as a lot of the jokes are, at the end of the day they're not aiming particularly high.

Also, I'm with him on the Australian censorship. Those minigames looked like shite, so I'm much happier with my crying koala descriptions. Mind you, that didn't stop them from squeezing in an uncensored abortion minigame right at the very end of the game anyway. Apparently it's not okay to perform abortions on a man's bum, but is okay to perform them on GLaDOS. What's up with that, folks?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
It was actually a pretty fun game, and felt like an extended South Park episode. It wasn't bad, though, and if they do make a sequel out of it, they should tighten up the mechanics and offer a few more locations outside of the central hub--OH, and, if they're going to have collectibles, then they should allow us to return to get those collectibles. Seriously.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I still like and watch South Park, and the game looks amusing, but it doesn't seem like it's "for" me - if that makes any sense? I mean, I'm a fan of the show and have been since it became a show, but I like it as a show and I have a feeling I wouldn't get much out of it as a video game. I imagine this is for the younger generation of South Park watchers - the second or third wave watchers perhaps who are really into the characters more than the idea of the show.

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
So, finally Yahtzee reviews something with a serious tone and a straight face... PAHAHA not really. Still funny.

Gotta agree with the game. Damn those Aussie censorship.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Regarding what he said about the game potentially being about promoting the series, it was actually the opposite. They actually framed the game with the Black Friday Trilogy of episodes (which was awesome by the way).

Glad to hear he kinda liked it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Yes Yahtzee, they still make South Park. They even had the Black Friday Trilogy of episodes last year to advertise (and make fun of) this very game, when they thought it wouldn't really be released. And get in some good zingers at Game of Thrones, too. I would think Yahtzee would still like it, since that and his show are very similar. If he wants pure mindless vulgarity and shock "humor" for shocking's sake, there's always Family Guy.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Yahtzee you brilliant sot. I love your analogies. This one hearkened back to the older reviews too. Truly, Zero Punctuation on this one. Loved it man. Have a good one.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Anyone else getting the feeling Yahtzee was getting a bit meta with this review?

1. His show is often just as vulgar as South Park.
2. His show is just as one-note as South Park.
3. He has a Zebra too. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/games/stonking_great/game/22-Zero+Punctuation%3A+The+Game]
4. Yahtzee also often uses jokes that other people have used. Though in SoT's defence, that joke was actually taken further at the end when
the main character talks.
5. Yahtzee's show is to me basically what he said about eating owl pellets and getting a taste for it. It was funny and shocking once, but now its just funny and enjoyable, much like for me, South Park.

Similar to Zero Punctuation, I would say that South Park is less about the shock humour than it used to be, but more about the potential applications of a more taboo form of humour than is generally done. Much like how Yahtzee reviews different games, keeping the jokes relevant and fresh while still having them be "shock humour", South Park reviews people, society and politics. And much like Yahtzee's reviews, they're rarely positive.