Zero Punctuation: Spec Ops: The Line

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
Wow, that was probably one of my favorite reviews you've done, Yahtzee. It's awesome to see the insight your columns bring make it's way into the review itself. Well done

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
The moment Yahtzee first wheeled out the farting noises gag, I paused the video and said "This episode shall end with deep, serious analysis, and then another fart noise"

And lo was it so.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
I actually played the demo for this and found the gameplay quite lacking if being utterly annoying. The chemistry of the characters was lacking (maybe it's because it's the demo) and frankly I couldn't feel invested in it. But that being said, I did enjoy this review since it has something Yahtzee is very good at and that is the juxtaposition of being funny. Grim games can work, but really, if it's not fun to play (and I would even go sofar as to say if a horror game isn't fun) then really what is the point? Immersion? Not on my count. It's impossible to get immersed in a game you're hating. The shooting is bland, the contextual flashbang is mind-boggling and I hadn't the feeling the plot was up to much.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
I love it when he has these running-gags in his reviews, like the wolfenstein limerick and the Brink drinking game.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
I found the part about shooting the airport full of civilians replaced with bambi's mom to be funny. And the end, that was good too.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
So, it's like an FPS game version of the movie Eyes Wide Shut?

Hmmm, lots of potential, there; both good and bad.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Ugh.

I'm supposed to be avoiding game purchases at least until the end of the year. But when you say 'good story' it makes it all more harder for a lover of storytelling to keep the wallet closed.

I'll avoid this by picking up a good book.

Samsa

Nov 24, 2011
I like the idea of the story with it being Heart of Darkness and all, though I don't know if the gameplay would justify spending £29.99 on it. I guess I'll try out the demo.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
In retrospect yeah, I do kinda wish they could've done a bit more on the gameplay front. It's not bad, it's just pretty much what you'd expect.

That said...it really does work well with the overall point of the story so...yep. Not gonna say much more than that on that part...well other than...

*whips out Imp with an arse instead of his gonads*

*PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT*

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
Particularly good one this week. Because as much as I love Yahtzee's humour, I like it just as much when he gets a bit intellectual now and then. *fart*

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
Wow. Never thought I'd see Yahtzee being so taken aback at a game. Since he gave the go-ahead to check it out, I'm now genuinely interested.

Wonder if this game will make his Top 5 of 2012 (assuming he'll do the same thing again this year).

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Didn't expect Yahtzee to like this at all.

It sounds like exactly the kind of game the modern shooter genre needs right now. So many of them are about nothing but fetishising guns and violence purely for the sake of it. We need a bit of a reality check.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
CronoT said:
So, it's like an FPS game version of the movie Eyes Wide Shut?
That's... a pretty abstract comparison. I mean, Eyes Wide Shut was about a wealthy married couple having strange sexual adventures in New York.

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
Man, never thought I'd see a game get to Yahtzee this much. Brilliant review, I'll need to look out for it.