Zero Punctuation: Spiderman: Web of Shadows

Strong Intelligent

Feb 25, 2009
It's been four weeks, with only two recent game reviews.

I was personally preferring Halo Wars, but I chuckles a few times here, too.

MaxFan

Nov 15, 2008
I'd have to say he shifts somewhat between Chaotic Neutral, Neutral and Neutral Evil. Though on occasion he goes for Chaotic Evil, like when he talks about the reason his character and he are doing things in Saints Row 2.

[/nerd moment]

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
I remember a commercial on Comedy Central for this game that called it "the most anticipated game of the year."

Ha ha. Right.

Great review as always. The fat customer at the end was nasty, even for a stick figure.

WarpGhost

Jan 5, 2009
You could have at least *tried* to get the questions wrong to shore up your cool credentials...

Enjoyable review as ever; I found the web-swinging of Ultimate Spiderman immense fun, it really is what Spiderman games should be about.

Kaboose the Moose

Feb 15, 2009
Yet another great review. I actually thought that this game could be good but, if you don't get anything special for swinging around the city (like the achievements) and the combat is shitty, well, there is little point in playing the game then.

henrebotha

Jan 29, 2009
I laughed at the "You nerds." comment right at the end.

Yahtzee has two very consistent aspects to his actions:
1.) He nearly always goes against trends (in other words, hates games most people like).
2.) He consistently posts a new review every week, on the same day.
So it is actually very tempting to think of him as true neutral.
Lithran said:
Now all we need is a gun that's also a sword with chains with spikes on it...
Oh fuck me that would be badass... A gunblade but with a non-Final Fantasy-sized blade, and a sort of kusari-gama device on the other end. Imagine that, with Equilibrium-style fight choreography.

...Yeah generally speaking I'm not into this kind of ridiculous weapons wankery, but this is too cool in my head to let it slide. :D

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Great review, loved the mention of God Hand, though. Not enough people play that game.

MrGayAndWatches

Mar 4, 2009
Yeah.. Not every fighting game is soul calibur. If you're button mashing in Street Fighter 4, you're doing it wrong. And calling KZ2 Gears with space nazis? Just the mention of Gears, there is so many things wrong with that statement I don't know where to start. Although I do agree there are too many sequels being made. Sorry, just got a very sour impression from the opening.

Other than that, great review as always. Never expected spiderman, refreshing type of game to pick.

BloodShifter38

Feb 24, 2009
You did make an excellent point about the combat, the same exact thing in Spider-Man 2 when you got the spinning counter-manuver that can take down 3 thugs in a nanosecond and giving you enough time to perform a hero punch on the last guy standing while he's tied up in a web.

carlfish

Mar 4, 2009
To everyone wishing this had been a Street Fighter IV review, a simple recipe:

1. Go back and re-watch the Soul Calibur review where Yahtzee admits to not liking the entire genre of fighting games.
2. Re-read all the forum posts whining that he shouldn't have reviewed the game because he "didn't understand it".

There, now you have the full experience of a ZP Street Fighter review without anyone having to go to any extra effort!

ErytheiaRed

Oct 6, 2007
Parallel Streaks said:
I love your brand of comedy, but can you PLEASE stop using the word "******", it's an offensive word and whilst used mostly in satire I still find the use to encourage the internet morons with their discrimination. While I know the whole "I'm not ignorant, I hate everyone" argument is good for a chuckle but frankly the previously mentioned word just succeeds in alienating your LGBT fans, and believe me, there's a lot of us.
I have to agree. I really, completely adore Zero Punctuation, and 99% of the swearing that comes with it, but that word has too many upsetting overtones/meanings/nuances of hate with it. There are lots of other more universal words you could have used that didn't target a social group which are more entertaining. If the word detracts from the message/entertainment with its shock value, then why use it? I couldn't see the satire value, or how it added to the piece in any way. It was just a really bad word for no reason. And the sad thing is that with the cultural homophobia that runs through the gamer community like an oil and tire fire, most people on this forum aren't going to speak out against it, even if it made them even a little uncomfortable, and it will just go into the mill of acceptance and be OK, making it even more OK to say that word in places gamers frequent and content gamers experience, spreading out the intolerance into an even stronger state. I'm personally a hypocrite because I'm not going to stop watching Zero Punctuation for it, but it made me sad today to the point that I at least needed to say something against the use of that word. Please Don't Use It. Please create your messages with more thought to using better, stronger words to get your ideas out. You have Great Messages! I love them. Just not paired with that word, or other words of where extreme hate overrides their other possible meanings. I was seriously disappointed today, because the whole rest of that review was utterly hilarious and reflected how my friends play Spiderman games Exactly.

Jaball

Dec 25, 2008
"...and some quicktime events."
Also featured in this episodes comments: butthurt ethicfags.
Please cut yourself and weep.

onelifecrisis

Mar 1, 2009
Odd choice of game, Yahtzee. You said at the beginning that you wanted to talk about it, but having watched it twice I still have no idea why you wanted to talk about it. Still, it was entertaining as usual.