Zero Punctuation: Spiderman: Web of Shadows

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
I LMAO'd pretty hard on this one.

You really hate games with numbers don't you? Maybe Heavy Rain will be your thing.

Abominus

Mar 4, 2009
inventor said:
Abominus said:
inventor said:
Gee,a bad movie-spin-of-game. suprising, or not! I knew that just by reading the title, and looking at the box!
there's a movie about Web of Shadows? must have missed that.....
Isen't this game about the third movie, or at least to some degree based on the film? ;)
However it's a spin-of-geme and those are always lame!
No its nothing to do with Spider-Man 3. Its about the Symbiote War storyline, something which was done before on the Dreamcast Spider-Man game. Just they have Symbioted (its a word, trust me >.> ) some different people this time around. The whole thing with him in the dark suit is that he takes some of it back from venom so he can fight the symbiotes.

As for spin-offs always being lame, I'll definitely agree with you on the movie ones, except for Chronicles of Riddick : Escape from Butcher Bay.

inventor

Feb 3, 2009
Abominus said:
inventor said:
Abominus said:
inventor said:
Gee,a bad movie-spin-of-game. suprising, or not! I knew that just by reading the title, and looking at the box!
there's a movie about Web of Shadows? must have missed that.....
Isen't this game about the third movie, or at least to some degree based on the film? ;)
However it's a spin-of-geme and those are always lame!
No its nothing to do with Spider-Man 3. Its about the Symbiote War storyline, something which was done before on the Dreamcast Spider-Man game. Just they have Symbioted (its a word, trust me >.> ) some different people this time around. The whole thing with him in the dark suit is that he takes some of it back from venom so he can fight the symbiotes.

As for spin-offs always being lame, I'll definitely agree with you on the movie ones, except for Chronicles of Riddick : Escape from Butcher Bay.
Ah well my bad. ._.
Id never bin much for comic books, so i dunno witch one follows witch story line, it's all a mess for me. I see a black thing and think of spide 3.
But still i knew it was bad just by looking at the box, it says; 1 activision, 2 spiderman.

Yeah, many says that Chronicles of Riddick : Escape from Butcher Bay are quite good. But then why shouldn't it be it's from Sweden, like me! ^_^

jacks_a_dull_boy

Dec 17, 2008
I played the game myself because 1. I'm a spiderman fan and 2. I liked the idea of beating up my favorite spiderman villian(Venom) while wearing the infamous "black suit". Seeing as my dream was fulfilled I then started to question the game's voice acting, combat, and need to break up fights?

JoeNut

Aug 27, 2008
it was a great review, im not bothered what game you review as long as it's funny tbh

Sifer2

Mar 5, 2009
I am actually glad Yahtzee reviewed this game because honestly it got overlooked this holiday season. It actually was'nt a bad game like most of you are assuming. I think after the terrible Spiderman 3, an Friend or Foe that is what people guessed is that Web of Shadows sucked too. But if you actually tried the game you would find that its combat is fun, its web slinging is also fun. An basically the game is just pure fun. Now I wont say its perfect. Like Yahtzee says they focused a bit too much on combat an cut out the races an other types of sidequests. This is unfortunate as otherwise it might have been the perfect Spiderman game.

Now I fear though that because this game got overlooked instead of getting credit where it was due they will pass the Spiderman license back off to some terrible developer an the next Spiderman game really will be crap again.

Hmmsporten

Feb 28, 2009
Its true that there are too many sequels today, but thats just because of the big companys like EA who is all about the money. So if it is easier to just make a sequel by improving graphics a bit, then they'll do it

DELTA x WOLF

Feb 11, 2009
Beating up prople is what make games, Games so if Spider man is your thing feel free beating up old ladies

ssjSephiroth

Feb 19, 2009
Oh my gosh, I LOVE spider-man 2 the movie the game. Definitely a winner with high replay value, the replay value being that you will never get tired of the amazing web-slinging mechanics, and finding all the help-tokens, and all the crime-base tokens, etc etc. So many good factors in a game just makes it so there's always something to come back to that you may not have done yet. Granted, some of those things may fall under the "Hundred Percent Completion" category, but isn't it worth it to be able to swing around the city for as much time as possible?

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Way to go and piss off people who expected a Killzone review! If you're not annoying a substantial part of your fanbase, you're doing it wrong. Although you might want to look into KZ2, many reviewers compare it to CoD4 rather than GoW.

On the whole "goes out to beat up meatball" conundrum: I believe the intended message was that of inane vulgarity, while familiarizing myself with the English language I imagined this word to be more juvenile in nature then other insults that relate to one's sexual preferences. When the above mentioned phrase came up in the review I paid no attention to it(I had to replay the video to find the f-word when the whole discussion started), for me it was just another one of Yahtzee's colorful euphemisms. But hey, over here "fagot" is a name for a musical instrument(that you people call bassoon for some reason), so don't mind the words of this strange foreigner.

sidhe3141 said:
Lovely. Funny as always.

And I say: Chaotic Good, or in 4E terms simply Good. My reasons:
*Favors an experimental approach (Chaotic)
*Mocks established trends and rules (Chaotic)
*Highly unpredictable (Chaotic)
*Hopes that someone will listen to him and actually start making halfway-decent games (Good)
*Seeks to create rather than destroy (Good)
I'm not sure on Chaotic or Neutral(he works for the MAN Escapist after all, rather than being freelance), but he's definitely Good. Acting as a jerk does not make you Evil and outside of his gaming habits Yahtzee is yet to commit an act of evil, in fact he does quite the opposite -- writes articles on good game design and creates fun freeware himself!

SG Xibalba

Feb 9, 2009
L33tMarvin said:
How ironic i was justing think was this game a hit or was it like every Punisher movie that came out in THIS CENTURY
WTF - they made Punisher movies?!? =0

McMo0^

Dec 21, 2007
This is the only problem though its getting increasingly difficult to get original game ideas. Most original games today or general take this from this game, this from this game, and then some random crap, and we have a game. Theres nothing wrong with sequels provided it isn't the same game over and over with 1 thing changed.

I mean really, ideas for games are slim. A Spaceship that twenty years ago was a toaster has decided to rebuild the universe from scratch. Game features include: Redecorate the universe as you see fit, change space from black to indigo blue... or maroon. Place habitabal planets so close together they can jump from one planet to the other via gravity...

Anyway back to topic good review i guess. Considering the weakness of modern game releases, an old game is easily worth reviewing, felt a bit uninterested though, like a review just becuase there had to be one.

right i've rambled enough

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
EchetusXe said:
Parallel Streaks said:
I love your brand of comedy, but can you PLEASE stop using the word "******", it's an offensive word and whilst used mostly in satire I still find the use to encourage the internet morons with their discrimination. While I know the whole "I'm not ignorant, I hate everyone" argument is good for a chuckle but frankly the previously mentioned word just succeeds in alienating your LGBT fans, and believe me, there's a lot of us.
lol, I have to say I was surprised when I heard the word crop up.

I don't know if its edgy or just lazy. Frankly I don't care, but I wouldn't have used the term myself.
I'd recommend y'all stop being faggots about terminology. I'm bisexual, and tend to hurl as much abuse as I receive when it comes to such "inappropriate" and "alienating" words. More to the point, Yahtzee's use of it was referring to the cliche/stock example of the housebound wife and the abusive husband archetypes, treating the red-suit/websligning as the oppressed figure and the black-suit/combat as the abusive and "******-hating" element, where the word is appropriate for that archetype to use.

I know it's becoming a joke in itself to blame post-modern irony for this sort of "abusive" language, but that's the context he's using it in! Irony! Idiots like it because it's the same way they talk and act, intellectuals like it because it's mocking the way the idiots talk and act, and it allows the topic to be dealt with, or in this case be used to humorously illustrate how unbalanced the motion and combat is in the game.

Unfortunately, a lot of people in the middle (sensitive intellectuals and a lot of liberal types) tend to hear the word and immediately divorce it from its adjacent context, and insist that the word itself is the problem and you shouldn't say it because it's alienating and abusive. I'd argue that treating the word as taboo will only increase its offensiveness when used by those who refuse to comply...

I realise by posting this highly offtopic rant I too am contributing to the problem and being as overdramatic as the easily-offended types out there. Oh well, just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

On topic at last, great review, I'll definitely pass on the game. Travel time in games is my most hated thing, and turning webslinging into just point A -> point B really makes it boring and weak. I loved Assassin's Creed for the way it introduced multiple aspects to the terrain traversal, adding race-like flag collecting, scaling towers, eliminating enemies from multiple angles and more.

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
BobisOnlyBob said:
More to the point, Yahtzee's use of it was referring to the cliche/stock example of the housebound wife and the abusive husband archetypes, treating the red-suit/websligning as the oppressed figure and the black-suit/combat as the abusive and "******-hating" element, where the word is appropriate for that archetype to use.
I went back to watch it again and I see you are right. As I said I didn't care particularly the first time around, I was just disappointed rather as I thought he was just lazily using the term to appeal to 13 year olds or that perhaps he fell into that he had fallen into that mindset himself temporarily without realizing it.

Now that I saw it again any small drop in respect I had for Yahtzee has been reversed, thereby restoring my respect to its original level. Maybe more for reviewing what he wants rather than whatever happens to be hot this month.

cj_iwakura

Mar 2, 2009
I feel bad for thinking the chaotic neutral stuff was an SMT reference.
(My D&D-fu is weak.)

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Yahtzee is prolly more lawful neutral, because those are the guys who judge everyone and tend to take it on themselves to also be jury and executioner.