Zero Punctuation: Star Wars: Battlefront 2

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be rooting for the government to legislate video games either.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Oh crap Yahtzee, that's not a Y-Wing. Be prepared for 90% of the comments to point this out for the rest of eternity.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Canadamus Prime said:
I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be rooting for the government to legislate video games either.
I think that should be the biggest indicator to anyone that the microtransactions have gone too far, that it's brought two natural enemies together with the power of shared contempt for the money grubbing, manipulative scumwads.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SirSullymore said:
Oh crap Yahtzee, that's not a Y-Wing. Be prepared for 90% of the comments to point this out for the rest of eternity.
Nah, I won't harp on him for it. I'm just making a beeline for TV Tropes' Critical Research Failure entry for this show.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Johnny Novgorod said:
Darth Maul is in this?
In multiplayer.
After you grind for him...or pay more money to skip the grinding.

Although, EA has taken some of the pay to win microtransactions out (for now), and improved how quickly you earn the in-game money to be used to buy stuff online (for now).
After everyone found out what they were doing and had to get European and Hawaiian politicians to call them out on their bullcrap.

OT: Fudge EA right in their cake hole.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Mikeybb said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I think that should be the biggest indicator to anyone that the microtransactions have gone too far, that it's brought two natural enemies together with the power of shared contempt for the money grubbing, manipulative scumwads.
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend"

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Surprised he hasn't tackled COD WW2 yet, personally I liked the campaign in this game well enough that i'm eagerly waiting for the story DLC, but I never touched the MP and never will. Also i'm with Yahtzee on wanting the government to start regulating gambling in video games, it's really getting out of hand.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Shame about not killing Ewoks in this game, because I have fond memories of doing that in the RTS Empire at War. First, launch a TIE Bomber run on their wimpy little treehouses, then send in Scout Troopers on their bikes to drop bombs and ride away, then finish them off with AT-STs, an AT-AT, Stormtroopers, and Darth Fucking Vader. I don't remember killing Ewoks in the older Battlefront II, the first one with a single-player campaign. In that one, you were the 501st Legion, the best of the best Clonetroopers, then Stormtroopers. Ah, what fond memories.
darkrage6 said:
Surprised he hasn't tackled COD WW2 yet, personally I liked the campaign in this game well enough that i'm eagerly waiting for the story DLC, but I never touched the MP and never will. Also i'm with Yahtzee on wanting the government to start regulating gambling in video games, it's really getting out of hand.
Give it time; he will. He has a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong-standing axe to grind with the CoD franchise.

Rope Arrow

Jul 10, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
Shame about not killing Ewoks in this game, because I have fond memories of doing that in the RTS Empire at War. First, launch a TIE Bomber run on their wimpy little treehouses, then send in Scout Troopers on their bikes to drop bombs and ride away, then finish them off with AT-STs, an AT-AT, Stormtroopers, and Darth Fucking Vader. I don't remember killing Ewoks in the older Battlefront II, the first one with a single-player campaign. In that one, you were the 501st Legion, the best of the best Clonetroopers, then Stormtroopers. Ah, what fond memories.
You can in fact kill Ewoks in the real Battlefront 2, if you play as the Empire on the Endor map. However, it's extremely irritating, since they have three different attacks that all stagger you, and one of which is an instant kill. And they respawn infinitely, and killing them doesn't count against the enemy reinforcements, and thus doesn't actually help you win the game. It makes it really tough to win on Endor.

BFII really was the best.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Canadamus Prime said:
To that, I respond "Osama Bin Laden."

Seriously, though, it's glad to see that people are finally not defending the microtransactions anymore. I've been against them since before even Jim Sterling started going on about the subject. Or at least since before I knew Jim Sterling was going on about it. I don't actually know for certain when he started.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Canadamus Prime said:
These are interesting times, aren't they?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I think my favorite portion of the EA Shitstorm revolving around this game was the bit where EA's CFO said that they couldn't put cosmetic options in the loot boxes because that would mess with SW canon. Apparently they're concerned about preserving the canon of SW in a game that allows you to have Rey fighting Darth Maul on Hoth.

It was made even funnier when a few hours after this statement, dataminers found loads of unimplemented cosmetic options buried in the game's files.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
Canadamus Prime said:
To that, I respond "Osama Bin Laden."

Seriously, though, it's glad to see that people are finally not defending the microtransactions anymore. I've been against them since before even Jim Sterling started going on about the subject. Or at least since before I knew Jim Sterling was going on about it. I don't actually know for certain when he started.
I never really had a problem with microtransactions when they were just in Free-to-Play games as long as it wasn't a Pay-to-Win scenario. What I despair now is, like I mentioned in another thread, nothing is ever unlocked in-game by completing challenges anymore. It's all DLC or microtransactions. ...or both. Or these horrid lootboxes. Microtransactions have no place in a game that you already have to plunk down $60+ for. $80+ for us Canadians.
Infernai said:
Canadamus Prime said:
These are interesting times, aren't they?
I don't know if "interesting" is the word I would use.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
erttheking said:
SirSullymore said:
Nah, I won't harp on him for it. I'm just making a beeline for TV Tropes' Critical Research Failure entry for this show.
Before you get all excited- after that he gives the TIE Fighter an even more vague 'wings' title that shows he's clearly not bothering. He probably put that in there specifically to put bees in the bonnets of the people who care about it too much.

If you really want to put something in under critical research failure- go after the bit where he said driving an AT-AT must be boring. If he'd ever played the real Star Wars Battlefront 2 from 2005, he'd know full well that driving an AT-AT is anything but.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Two questions:

1) What is a three letter swear word anyway?

2) So if an X Wing and a Y Wing love each other very much...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Hawki said:
Two questions:

1) What is a three letter swear word anyway?

2) So if an X Wing and a Y Wing love each other very much...
Not sure about the first one, but I'm willing to bet the answer to 2 is an A Wing.

Or possibly an R2 unit