Zero Punctuation: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

SRMN

Oct 9, 2008
I have a few friends that are convinced that this is the greatest game to ever be shat out of LucasArts hairy asshole.

I'll show them this video ;).

hajs5

Oct 9, 2008
I wish he'd review games he likes. If I wanted to see someone dis every game ever made I'd watch AVGN!

BBQ Platypus

Sep 23, 2008
I'm not getting this game because it's already been made*. Actually, it's been made twice**. It's called the Jedi Knight series, and it's fucking awesome. It doesn't bog itself down in the prequels, and major characters from the films appear in completely non-intrusive and awesome ways. It also has a protagonist who is the definition of badass.

* Also, I don't have a next-gen console.
** Well, technically, it's been made THREE times if you count Jedi Academy, but I don't.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I remember a time when the Star Wars games were good, they were the cornerstone of gaming, actually I was too young to remember most of them, but I do remember the gametrailers.com retrospective that made it look like the bees-knees and the few games I manage to salvage from bargain bins and ebay lived up to that reputation mostly by keeping that old school (original trilogy) look and feel.

I think Lucas is up the with Kojima and Warhol who live up to the saying "It takes two people to make a masterpiece: Firstly the Artist to create the work and Secondly they Guy to bash the Artist over the head and stop him when the masterpiece is finished" because if you let them keep going they will turn their masterpiece into a mess.

Star Wars was one of those great franchises and Lucas had a great rhythm by hiring in new writers and directors to get a different feel and direction, he was perfect as a Producer of a massive expanded universe and many successful and influential games. But after expanding his canvas over twenty years in film, books, comics, and video games, he turned revisionist and managed to spoil all later works by altering the original trilogy and finally making an extremely contradictory prequel trilogy.

Lucas also gave up the great practice of bringing in outside creativity, the Prequel trilogy seriously needed another director, writer and casting director than Lucas. He though he could do it all, and you have to give it to him he knows what he wants but really he doesn't know how to get there and often needs help, not 'yes men' but 'George-that-is-stupid-try-something-else men'

Ultimately, you hero's are mere mortals and as fallible as all of us and in the end the only winner is the Estate of Alec Guinness, damn he was smart to ask for a percentage.

anyhoo, Psi Ops: Mindgate Conspiracy is much better for force/telekinetic powers in a gameplay where it somehow is able to play smoother. As for the terrible light sabre combat, and I don't mean the Wii problems, I mean how when storm troopers are hit by a light sabre that can SLICE THROUGH THE BULKHEAD OF A SPACE SHIP if has all the effect of hitting a punching bad with a whiffle bat. One slash should bisect them, sending decapitated and amputated extremities everywhere and why is it so hard to even move in for the kill, lock on is terrible and the jump is ridiculously implemented with attack.

So just alternate between Ninja Gaiden and Psi Ops and you'll do way better than this game.

Bakery

Jul 15, 2008
It's actually pretty funny how hypocritical Mr Croshaw is.

He says that people are stupid for saying older versions of games are better (ie Mario Sunshine/Twilight Princess vs Mario 64/Ocarina of Time) and yet he maintains that the original Starwars is better than the newer ones...odd.

I played Sunshine and Twilight Princess before 64 and OoT and think they're both better. I also saw the new SW trilogy before the old one and I think it's better. I don't understand the problem people have with them.

On topic, this weeks ZP was funny as always but lacked any real depth. More on the actual game next time and less on the gimmicky console please.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
What? No-one loses their hand? That's, like, a Jedi prerequisite! Luke and Anakin lost their hands (and a couple of game Jedis did too).

Suckage!

Good review, by the way.

shaun832 post=6.73484.798394 said:
Magnetic2 post=6.73484.797085 said:
Wow, that was awesome. Brilliant, good show. I really thought Yahtzee would hit up Silent Hill: Homecoming this time around, hold on... nope, not out till November in Australia.
It's actually banned now!
Because of Michael Atkinson!

ShadokatRegn

Dec 6, 2007
So, what you're telling me is; Darth Vader is upgraded from wimpy whiney teen to babysnatcher, sics his baby-snatched apprentice on goons with a worthless lightsaber, and tries to tie the prequel garbage trilogy to the good oldschool stuff with shiny force powers? Sign me up?

I'd have to add: the best part of this game is bowling for goons with droids. Seriously. Otherwise, great review!

matrixkid2001

Oct 9, 2008
My video wont load, the flash will work for some sites but not others. I running the newest safari, i also tried the latest version of Firefox. and Java is enabled.

BBQ Platypus

Sep 23, 2008
Bakery post=6.73484.799295 said:
I also saw the new SW trilogy before the old one and I think it's better.
You know, you're about the second person I've ever encountered who has said that. And frankly, I find it positively baffling - nay, FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE that anyone would think that. HOW!?!?!? HOW is it better!? By what measure!?

Seriously, I was on the debate team - I have a good idea of how to find the good parts of an argument, and even how to argue for it myself. But I honestly cannot even BEGIN to think of a good reason why the prequel trilogy was better than the original, much less build a convincing case. This leads me to believe that you do not, in fact, think this is the case for any logical reason, but rather want to believe this for the sake of being a contrarian. You think you're a "rebel" for going against popular opinion, but in fact you're playing right into the hands of a billionaire who stopped giving a shit about 20 years ago. I honestly can't think of any other logical reason why someone might say what you just said.

Yes, I know opinions are subjective. That doesn't stop me from saying that yours is bullshit.

Mathurin

Jul 1, 2008
This is kind of off topic, but perhaps a link to download the videos could be added, I enjoy yahtzees reviews but I am unfortunately temporarily condemned to dial-up internet (recent college grad living with parents in rural kansas until I find a job) and even getting the embedded player to load takes a dozen page refreshes.

Give the poor dial up users a break

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
BBQ Platypus post=6.73484.799403 said:
You know, you're about the second person I've ever encountered who has said that. And frankly, I find it positively baffling - nay, FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE that anyone would think that. HOW!?!?!? HOW is it better!? By what measure!?

Seriously, I was on the debate team - I have a good idea of how to find the good parts of an argument, and even how to argue for it myself. But I honestly cannot even BEGIN to think of a good reason why the prequel trilogy was better than the original, much less build a convincing case. This leads me to believe that you do not, in fact, think this is the case for any logical reason, but rather want to believe this for the sake of being a contrarian. You think you're a "rebel" for going against popular opinion, but in fact you're playing right into the hands of a billionaire who stopped giving a shit about 20 years ago. I honestly can't think of any other logical reason why someone might say what you just said.

Yes, I know opinions are subjective. That doesn't stop me from saying that yours is bullshit.
what he said... good

TheECP

Nov 1, 2007
Great review. The PS3/360 version is awesome though, it's at least a must-rent just becuase it's short.

TheECP

Nov 1, 2007

Agreed

COR 2000

Jun 30, 2008

I'm with bakery on this one. Actually, I saw the originals before the prequels, and I honestly liked the prequels better. And I've got a couple good reasons:

1.) A more in-depth view of the force- F*** Midi-chlorians , other than being mentioned, it doesn't change a thing about how awesome the Jedi are. But first, yes I know- A Jedi cannot fall in love. That sucks, but It makes sense when you think about it.(In reality, Lust could make someone do some pretty bad stuff at times. Love could lead to lust(Not all the time, obviously), and lust would lead to corruption, so the Jedi didn't want a chance with that. Oh, crap, I got sidetracked. Anyways, back on topic...)
2.)General Grievous- Enough said.
3.)Some memorable scenes for those who appreciate- The Arena battle on Geonosis, The "Unveiling" of the Clone Army, and also Order 66 are truly memorable parts in the prequels.
4.)The CGI- I've got no Idea why everyone whines about this: The effects look a lot much better than the originals(at least, in my opinion), and those already looked cool. The CGI definitely looked cool in some parts, like the battle over coruscant(The explosions were awesome and the cruisers were too.)
5.)Definitely a lot more emotion: While Episodes I and II weren't so stirring, Episode III was, Especially with Order 66 and seeing the Jedi cut down by their troops, Not to mention Anakin's Sith transformation.

Looking back, there might have been a few flaws with the prequels, but nothing big that diminishes how I feel about all III.

One last thing: Ever been to any of the "Celebrations" or at least see the fan-base? If you think their views are B.S., then you've got a lot of debating...

Uh-oh, my post here is smelling like a rant/flaming. I better stop here.

perfectimo

Sep 17, 2008
This is all off-topic but I just can't help myself.

Seriously, I was on the debate team - I have a good idea of how to find the good parts of an argument, and even how to argue for it myself. But I honestly cannot even BEGIN to think of a good reason why the prequel trilogy was better than the original, much less build a convincing case.
You mustn't have been too good if you can't find one thing better. I also would like to add that you could continue this arguement in one of the off-topic forums, which is where this sort of thing is meant to be. Just a suggestion.

jsouth88

Sep 29, 2008
Every time i see Darth Vader from the prequels in the corner shaking, crying and saying "waaa me mum died" I start crying from how funny it is. Oh, the tears

Snidenightshade

Jun 5, 2008
i have the Xbox 360 versoin it worked fine. all i did was download a demo of it on xbox live market place first. it is a good game Wii would be hard to use for me but i just perfer xbox over the Wii