Zero Punctuation: Strafe

Milenkov

Aug 16, 2009
Great video as always Yahtzee! That teleporter thing seems really counter-intuitive, though I guess people who play roguelikes tend to just adjust their strategy to compensate for the tougher dudes.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm, I expected Yahtzee to be more down on the game since more than a few reviewers kinda shit on it at launch. I mean I enjoyed it well enough, but I was kinda expecting more of the same. Good stuff.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
As a Geordie I appreciate the joke at the expense of Mackems.

Johnny Novgorod said:
I like "highwaymen" being illustrated with a tricorn. Barry Lyndon reference?
I think that's a general highwayman stereotype.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
09philj said:

Johnny Novgorod said:
Oh yeah, I just Googled "highwayman" and it turns out it's a character in Darkest Dungeon, tricorn et al, so that explains it.
Guess the only highwayman I'd ever seen was in Barry Lyndon.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
It wasn't until Flinthook that I realized how much the roguelike virus had spread. That game could have been great if it had hand-crafted designs to use the interesting hook mechanic, instead they made parts of the level, threw in the randomizer and called it a day. Efficient? Yes. Gives longevity? Yes. Is engaging? No.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
That looked like a giant scrotum oozing out of the boxcar in that last frame. It was, wasn't it?
So everything's getting a "roguelike" version? I almost forget where the term came from.
Johnny Novgorod said:
09philj said:

Johnny Novgorod said:
Oh yeah, I just Googled "highwayman" and it turns out it's a character in Darkest Dungeon, tricorn et al, so that explains it.
Guess the only highwayman I'd ever seen was in Barry Lyndon.
Every time I hear the term "highwayman", I think of the phrase "Stand and deliver!", then the song "Whiskey in the Jar". Particularly the Metallica version:

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Roguelike? I hope Totalbiscuit never lies his eyes on this video.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Ars Technica had a big fat stiffy for this some weeks back.
Good to see you agree, and this is something I'd want to play.
But *bad* in the sense that this has to be added to an immense pile of games waiting for more free time.

I just started Bloodborne 13 days ago... :O

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
American Tanker said:
Why am I of the impression that Yahtzee actually kinda likes this one?
I think you are right.

It is on sale till 7/5 on Steam for about $14. Looks like a FPS similar enough to others I'm already play but I added it to my wish list if I ever see it for more like $3.5.

ITMT: He flashed "Redneck Rampage". I did not know that game was still available ANYWHERE. It too is on Steam for $10. I have to think my PC wouldn't run it. Too old. Too bad. It was a hoot.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Darth_Payn said:
So everything's getting a "roguelike" version? I almost forget where the term came from.
How is that even possible? It's origin is built right into the word.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Yahtzee definitely needs to review Darkest Dungeon. There's plenty he can nitpick.

404notfound

Nov 9, 2009
09philj said:

Johnny Novgorod said:
As someone from Northumberland: I was both amused and surprised when the joke came up.. then again when you posted about it.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Johnny Novgorod said:
Bad Player said:
Wait, isn't it winter in Australia now?
He moved to USA last year.
Well that's kinda sad. I always enjoyed him being pissed about Australian things. Complaining about American politics and society is so "mainstream". Isn't his girlfriend Australian though? They must be serious if they moved together.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I doubt Yahtzee reads the comments, but I would suggest he plays Paradigm. It's a point-and-click title that'd probably underwhelm compared to Lucasarts ones, but it's a break from the usual releases.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Got this on sale and it's damn fun. On PC it can be a bit easy though after the first few attempts and once you reach stage 2

nightowlc

Nov 5, 2008
Wait, wait, wait . . .

1) Run into a room, trigger a hostile NPC who will probably trigger multiple other hostile NPCs.
2) Run back out of the room, around a corner, and wait for all the hostile NPCs to come running to find you and they'll conveniently all group up once they get around that corner and see you. Better yet, it will also help get all the hostile NPCs with ranged attacks into the group as well, and hopefully close enough for you to hit with your attacks.
3) Go nuts, preferably with attacks that hit more than one opponent at a time.

. . . Isn't that the same as an LoS pull with lots of AoE damage in a MMORPG dungeon (or raid)?

I personally think those types of attacks are fun as hell and yes, if it's a dungeon or raid that you've outgeared or outleveled by quite a bit, then it's a very relaxing way to unwind. Especially while listening to a podcast or some good music.

But for all that Yahtzee has hated on MMORPGers, his description of why he likes Strafe sounds an awful lot like something I see a lot in a MMORPGer.