Zero Punctuation: Sunset Overdrive - Trying Too Hard?

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I'm glad I watched this. For some reason I was kinda drawn to this game, and I have now been reminded not to be. Thank you kind sir!

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
jpoon said:
I'm glad I watched this. For some reason I was kinda drawn to this game, and I have now been reminded not to be. Thank you kind sir!
Man, if you were interested in the game just give it a shot. You might actually have slightly different tastes than Yahtzee.

Sam Rothrock

Feb 1, 2012
I actually liked the game's soundtrack. They put in a lot of rather obscure punk and a bunch of original tracks made for the game, which work well with the gameplay (increasing style starts a new song, boss fights have unique tracks) and too say that they are all the same chords... isn't totally inaccurate, but punk is punk...

As for the humor, I think that there are points where it's trying too hard, but saying that it makes fun of nerds isn't totally accurate either; the protagonist frequently compliments the things they do, and more to the point, I don't know how much you are supposed to actually take their viewpoint, because they seem to be made to be a bit of an asshole (albeit a redeemable one)

I found the game to be refreshing as a change of pace from the strategy and FPS games I usually gravitate to; the fact that it features both a well-laid out and well-designed sandbox and very solid gameplay kept me hooked in. But if you've already gotten tired of 3rd-person power trips, it probably won't do much for you. And if you don't like punk music, you also probably won't appreciate it much either. Or if you think that 4th wall breaking isn't an amusing form of humor.

Usually I think Yahtzee's opinions are pretty good (biases aside) but I disagree with him on this one. It kind've sounds like his dislike for the Xbone drove him to rag on the game a bit much. just because it's made by a corporate entity doesn't mean that it inherently lacks soul or can't have sincere aims behind it.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
The "young adult" tag reminded me of this from the Young Ones (yes, I watched it when it was first on TV) Nozin' Around
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo9_aBj1Z84

The Jet Set/Grind Radio soundtrack was good enough I used to put on the game just to listen to it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGA4PilHdr0

I have not had the time to play Saints Row 4 as yet and never got to play 3 either.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I didn't care about this game since I saw it, the "grind" sections look incredibly slow and boring, and the "LOOK AT ALL THIS FUN" thing didn't come across quite as much as the devs might wanted it to, but after this and a few other videos, guess I missed nothing.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I'd still play it even though its "humor" is cringe worthy. I'm hoping the sales would be below expectations so that they'll release it on PC and/or other platforms.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
... How much input did Microsoft have really? This piece seems to imply it was apparently quite significant but I for some reason doubt that.

mysecondlife said:
I'd still play it even though its "humor" is cringe worthy. I'm hoping the sales would be below expectations so that they'll release it on PC and/or other platforms.
You are seriously wishing misfortune on others for that? ... Bloody hell.
Why would you even reveal that to us? Not exactly flattering is it... sends all sorts of messages.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
WhiteNachos said:
I'm surprised Insomniac games is making this kind of humor, there were a lot of funny jokes in Ratchet and Clank games. They did have lots of 4th wall joke pop culture references, or sarcasm.
With all the job churning that can go on in game studios I'm thinking that Insomniac then and Insomniac now are about as similar as Spyro then and Spyro now.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
... How much input did Microsoft have really? This piece seems to imply it was apparently quite significant but I for some reason doubt that.

mysecondlife said:
You are seriously wishing misfortune on others for that? ... Bloody hell.
Why would you even reveal that to us? Not exactly flattering is it... sends all sorts of messages.
Not misfortune. I would never wish upon that. I said BELOW EXPECTATION.

Difference can be subtle but distinguishable.

Blaze the Dragon

Jan 8, 2010
Yeah this game just feels clunky to me. The controls don't feel nearly as smooth as they should given the movement mechanics, and yeah it doesn't take long for it's 'style' to wear down. I dunno, maybe I'm spoiled by games like Bayonetta 2 and Shadow of Mordor that have smooth gameplay and solid mechanics that can stand on their own to form an enjoyable experience without feeling like they need to ram humor down my throat constantly to keep my attention.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
mysecondlife said:

Below expectation, also known as failure... and failure has consequences, of which I'm sure a possible port would be the only one you care about. Said as much.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
mysecondlife said:

Below expectation, also known as failure... and failure has consequences, of which I'm sure a possible port would be the only one you care about. Said as much.
You cannot be serious. Below expectation does not mean failure. It does, however, depend on whatever expectation the developer sets on the sales figure. Games can find success and still be below expectation.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
I think Yahtzee is being far too harsh on this game, but then again his branding is being negative so what can you do.

Although it seems that 1/4 of it is complaining about it being on Xbox One. Talk about bias.

lordofpowies

Jul 20, 2013
"If you're so concerned with looking cool and dignified you can't put in the effort to meet something halfway, then maybe you're the one with the problem, mate."
My god Yahtzee, when did you become so unbelievably hypocritical?

SnesgenisthebestGen

Nov 12, 2014
jpoon said:
wow, you're gonna miss out on one of the best games on any console right now, because a guy who's shtick it to be negative about everything, who's biased against the xbox in the first place, says the game wasn't funny in the right way? You act like he's a serious reviewer.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
Anyone else just wish Insomniac would go back and make another ratchet and clank game or something? they've had 7 or 8 awesome ones, 2 miss-steps, and I'm wibbly wobbly on my opinion on Deadlocked. And now they keep going for the naughty dog route of "Realism, story, adventure..........BUT HEY GUYS....SaaaaAAAaaAAMMEEE WHAAACKYNESS!!!!!".......maybe I'm just too much a fan of one series.....but whackyness has its place, and sometimes, it kinda falls flat ^^;;

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
jackpipsam said:
I think Yahtzee is being far too harsh on this game, but then again his branding is being negative so what can you do.

Although it seems that 1/4 of it is complaining about it being on Xbox One. Talk about bias.
People seem to forget that Yahtzee's whole shtick is finding things he doesn't like about games, and then launching into a rant about them. If you were to summarise his main points, you'd get something along the lines of fun gameplay, story is a bit shit, humour missed the mark.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
So it's like an open world Jet Set Radio with guns? I would play that. Sounds fucking rad.

SnesgenisthebestGen

Nov 12, 2014
smithy_2045 said:
jackpipsam said:

People seem to forget that Yahtzee's whole shtick is finding things he doesn't like about games, and then launching into a rant about them. If you were to summarise his main points, you'd get something along the lines of fun gameplay, story is a bit shit, humour missed the mark.
You forgot leading off with "i'm gonna try to explain why this whole thing is hypocrisy, then complain about MS".