Zero Punctuation: Super Mario Odyssey

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I actually want to play this game, but I can't afford a Switch right now.

"What's with all the hat-themed games right now?" They were inspired by Hatfall obviously.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Huh...how often did they reference Pauline from way back then before this? Would have expected retro and nostalgia bringing her back a lot more.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Thaluikhain said:
Huh...how often did they reference Pauline from way back then before this? Would have expected retro and nostalgia bringing her back a lot more.
She was fairly prevalent in the Mario Vs Donkey Kong games, but apart from that I'm drawing a blank.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Wow, that "possess other people and objects with your hat" mechanic is straight out of a body horror game or movie.
Thaluikhain said:
I thought I saw her in Mario Kart 8 on the Wii.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
In fairness, Dark Souls might have introduced cartoonish mushroom-people out of nowhere, but they fit the same visual style...and will punch you into a fucking red paste if you look at them funny.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Now i want Celebrimbors elvish lines spoken with an Italian accent.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
About the last part, well, you tell me maker of Hatfall - 'The best hat putting simulator ever made', it has been two years, enough time for a game to made using that, which is weird because it has been 3 for Shadows of War and no other game has the Nemesis System.

m2pt5

Feb 12, 2013
> A controller that detects when you're swearing at it

Second controller on the Famicom?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yahtzee is 30 years old? Thought he was older than that.

And yes, I too am wondering about all these hat-themed games lately as well. I'd joke that these hats know where they're at, but I might get into a spat, and end up bleeding on the mat, the hats being prats and saying that's the end of that.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
darkrage6 said:
I'm just so burned out on Mario that I just don't care about this game.
How do you become burned out on Mario? A game is only released once every few years. Whereas CoD and Assassins creed...

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Lufia Erim said:
darkrage6 said:
I'm just so burned out on Mario that I just don't care about this game.
How do you become burned out on Mario? A game is only released once every few years. Whereas CoD and Assassins creed...
Because Nintendo whored him out for the endless spin-offs and I just felt like the Mario formula was wearing thin, last time I played one it wasn't that fun. Sorry but I just can't muster up any real excitement for this game. Never liked AC but I liked most of the COD games(though I have no real interest in WW2, as I find modern and futuristic settings in FPS games way more interesting).

Jim Sterling aptly summed it up in his video "Old Man Mario"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3EzNmr9cO8

Also really don't feel like buying a Switch now.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Great line in this video with which I concur: using the switch controller is like trying to fluff an elderly hamster.

I got to try the controller recently and it's going to be a hard sell for me.

I still have Wii U games to play so, gonna be a bit before I even try.

Still, I heard there are city scenes with Who Killed Roger Rabbit style animations of Mario in the "real" world. Will have to look to youtube to see if this is true.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
The whole finale of City World being a victory lap through a Donkey-Kong themed throwback stated to celebrate the city's history seems like pretty firm confirmation that the mayor is indeed that Pauline. If her performing the accompanying cheery ditty herself in reference to her original occupation as a jazz singer from back then wasn't enough.