Zero Punctuation: System Shock 2

Almack

May 1, 2012
Some times I feel like it was a good thing that I only started gaming in the mid 2000s and missed games like these otherwise I might not have stuck with this hobby.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
I'm gonna be "that guy" and say that GOG.com had SS2 before Steam. I'm guessing implementing the DRM took that extra month or so longer.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Boy am I glad I didn?t buy this game, since it seems to include everything I hate about old school pc gaming, in particularly I hate it when games become unwinnable forcing you to either save every 10 seconds or look up a guide.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
A better game than Infinite imo, I always see SS2 as Deus Ex but with horror replacing the stealth focus.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Loved this, and the original, though the original is pretty cumbersome.

Am I the only one distinctly creeped out by the idea that someone seriously wanted bare breasts to ogle on a horrifically mutilated fusion of woman and machine? Seriously, those things are not meant to be sexy.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
But GOG released System shock 2 ages before Steam and if it wasn't for the guys at GOG going through all the legal trouble, Steam wouldn't have it either.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
DVS BSTrD said:
I wonder what they'll write on the Xbone's gravestone.
"We were distracted by shiny objects rather than addressing the demands of the people.", I imagine.

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
I have a feeling that pretty soon the only things PC gamers will have to do is play MMORPGs, MOBAs, and reminisce about the old days. And will be looked upon by the rest of gaming society as akin to the savages from the novel Brave New World.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Any chance you'll do a retro review of Resident Evil 4 aka "the only good one", Yahtzee? I would save you the trouble of reviewing the Xbone since most of humanity has written it off as an epic fail.

Yellowbeard

Nov 2, 2010
Holy shit Yahtzee, a ZP of my favourite game of all time? How did you know my birthday was coming up?

asap

Aug 10, 2012
The main thing I remember is how fucking dreadful the music was from that shit game. Maybe it was trying to make me fear the robots more due to their ability to torture me with sound. Don't understand why people liked that game so much as its boring and poorly balanced with only a few interesting points with the game world. Thank god for modern shooter controls.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
tardcore said:
I have a feeling that pretty soon the only things PC gamers will have to do is play MMORPGs, MOBAs, and reminisce about the old days. And will be looked upon by the rest of gaming society as akin to the savages from the novel Brave New World.
And with the increased dev costs of AAA titles for the One and PS4, the only things console gamers will have to do is play modern military shooters and Madden, because almost nothing else will be profitable. Meanwhile, I'm pretty happy with the growing PC indie scene.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Almack said:
Some times I feel like it was a good thing that I only started gaming in the mid 2000s and missed games like these otherwise I might not have stuck with this hobby.
just out of curiosity, how exactly would system shock 2 turn you off gaming?

i think i have only ever really finished SS2 twice, once the first time i played it and once to prove you can finish the game psy-only. i usually stop playing towards the end of the rickenbacker because i missed an egg and can't be bothered to re-check everywhere. or in the body of the many because by that point whether you can finish the game or not is determined by what you have left in your inventory and i either go: no, not happening or yep, no need to play it through

Sqrt(-1)

Jul 12, 2012
Great review for a great game.
I agree about the sound of the cameras, but the sound of a monkey scared me just as much. They could shoot fireballs, were a small target, and I'd almost always have to run down a hallway to smack them with the crystal, only to miss and get ***** slapped by it.

emissary666

May 6, 2009
It's already been mentioned twice, but GOG did all the hard work and had SS2 months before Steam. I was disappointed when I saw that SS2 was now on Steam as well and am disappointed in Yahtzee for crediting Steam.