Zero Punctuation: Talos Principle

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Fading to the next frame instead of Cutting to it? In my Zero Punctuation?!

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Kicking off the year with a post credits scene is fully welcomed indeed.

Also relaxation at Christmas when it's summer outside and the earth bursts from the disgusting heat? Australian citizens are stronger than I.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Aeshi said:
New Year, New Review Elements. Hopefully, there will be something more than that as a progression comparable to the singing bits.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
Okay, I have to ask. What the hell does Yahtzee mean when he refers to a cocksucking cowboy? Is it a type of cider in Australia? I ask this because if there's an ice cream that's named Golden Gaytime, then ther might be something... Else?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Was that a fade in I saw, getting fruity with the editing are we, 0/10, WOULD NOT WATCH AGAIN, I DON'T LIKE CHANGE!
Aeshi said:
He's cleeeeeearly running out of ideas, sad really.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I was wondering about this game... on the one hand, it seems so pretentious and full of itself, "super-serial" as it were, and on the other it's by Croteam, who made Serious Sam, and Devolver Digital, who published the likes of Broforce, Hatoful Boyfriend, and Hotline Miami. It actually seems a bit off-kilter for them. Glad to hear it was enjoyable.

By the by, Yahtzee, have you played Thomas Was Alone? I would say it shares quite a few similar themes, with the experience of emerging sentience as an AI (via prearranged testing environments) being chiefest among them.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
This looks very good, thank you Yahtzee and a happy new year to you.

GrumbleGrump said:
Okay, I have to ask. What the hell does Yahtzee mean when he refers to a cocksucking cowboy? Is it a type of cider in Australia? I ask this because if there's an ice cream that's named Golden Gaytime, then ther might be something... Else?
It's a popular Australian shooter made of Butterscotch Schnapps and Baileys Irish Cream. One part Schnapps, two parts Baileys.

Michael Dunkerton

Jan 8, 2013
Talos the mighty! Talos the unerring! Talos the unassailable! To you we give praise!
We are but maggots, writhing in the filth of our sandbox shooters! While you have ascended from the dung of Series Sam, and now walk among the Smart Games!

And there it is, friends! The ugly truth! We are the children of man! Talos is the true game of man! Ascended from brainless shooters, to rule the realm of puzzle platformers!

The very idea is inconceivable to our AAA overlords! Sharing the heavens with us? With puzzle games? Ha! They can barely tolerate our presence on earth!

Terrible and powerful Talos! We, your unworthy servants, give praise! For only through your grace and benevolence may we truly reach enlightenment!

And deserve our praise you do, for we are one! Ere you ascended, you walked among us, great Talos, not as god, but as man!

maneyan

Sep 22, 2014
Nice to see that despite comparing unfavorably to portal it still earned his approval. Smart design from a company that made Serious Sam, would you believe it? Also that ending song is the best thing since sliced bread.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
GrumbleGrump said:
It's a shot. Two parts Bailey's, one part Butterscotch schnapps. Probably something I would've considered enjoyable as a teen.

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
2xDouble said:
I was wondering about this game... on the one hand, it seems so pretentious and full of itself, "super-serial" as it were, and on the other it's by Croteam, who made Serious Sam, and Devolver Digital, who published the likes of Broforce, Hatoful Boyfriend, and Hotline Miami. It actually seems a bit off-kilter for them. Glad to hear it was enjoyable.
They brought on new writers for the story of The Talos Principle (namely, Tom Jubert, who did FTL and The Swapper). It is a wee bit pretentious, but it is actually quite clever and well-written, and pays off on alot of its metaphorical wankery at the end. Croteam only handled the gameplay, I think. It's made on the same engine as Serious Sam 3, which does undercut the serious tone a little (ironically).

Comradeweldor

Nov 17, 2011
Is anyone else having problems with the videos on the escapist? all that plays (after the ad) is a 45 second ad for the escapist youtube channel, then it end. no video actually plays. I can't be the only one having this problem.

stringtheory

Dec 18, 2011
2xDouble said:
I was wondering about this game... on the one hand, it seems so pretentious and full of itself, "super-serial" as it were, and on the other it's by Croteam and Devolver Digital who made Serious Sam and published Broforce, respectively. It actually seems a bit off-kilter for them. Glad to hear it was enjoyable.

By the by, Yahtzee, have you played Thomas Was Alone? I would say it shares quite a few similar themes, with the experience of emerging sentience as an AI (via prearranged testing environments) being chiefest among them.
If you don't mind or actually enjoy philosophy then you shouldn't find this game 'pretentious' because it sets up and talks about the points it's trying to make very well. The writing was done by the guy who wrote FTL and The Swapper, so Croteam just did the actual game. I haven't actually finished it quite yet so maybe it falls apart at the end but the 10+ hours of lead up has been quite enjoyable.

EDIT: And Ninja'd by Fysco...

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
I wonder if Yahtzee would consider doing a sort of pub sing podcast. He has all the necessary merits: likes drinking, owns a microphone, likes talking into said microphone.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
ryukage_sama said:
I wonder if Yahtzee would consider doing a sort of pub sing podcast. He has all the necessary merits: likes drinking, owns a microphone, likes talking into said microphone.
He did the rhyming thing with Jim for about a year. I could picture this happening.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Am I the only one who realizes you can play audiologs and still play the game? Even Doom 3 allowed you to exit the PDF, keep the log playing, and continue killing. It was hardly a game stopper.