Zero Punctuation: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Showing my age but did anyone play [link href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM:_Interceptor"]XCOM Interceptor[/link]?

I'm one of the 5 people who bought and liked that game. I think the base management, mission choice, and research components were really well done. The actual flying was crappy compared to X Wing but then again nothing could ever beat that.
I played that game for about 5 hours. I seem to recall that everything was going good until about the 4 hours and thirty minutes mark, then the difficulty spiked and I simply could not win a mission after that. I really enjoyed Apocalypse though, I beat it four times.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
RaNDM G said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I don't think anyone was expecting this game to not suck.
It would have been fine if they made the game they wanted to make instead of caving to XCOM's fanbase. Ink monsters hiding in the walls of suburban homes and monolothic weapons of mass destruction were far more interesting threats than what we got.
It would have been even better if they hadn't shoved the Xcom name on it so it could have been judged on its own merits you mean.

You have to wonder what the execs were smoking when they came up with that particular idea.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I haven't played Enemy Unknown *dodges thrown boot* but did they characterize the NPCs there? I thought a big part of the game was that faceless government agents were being fed into the alien meat grinder as governments try desperately to stop the invasion.
It was. There were mindless missions that pretended to offer something different, but always degraded to "if it moves and, it is not you, kill it, a lot". It was also far less of a meat grinder, than a kiddie ride (until modded), except for all the magical bugs where enemies appear out of nowhere and kill half the team. I hear they just got that patched, so perhaps I will play it again . So really it was just a third person version of this mouthful (tB:XD), though to mod EU we were forced to hack the EXE. If I thought tB was worth the time I would probably find out if it can be fixed (aka modded by those the know what they are doing). Since it is too generically lame and with far too small an audience, I will go back to my mega-mod for Xenonauts (due out sometime in 20<mumble, mumble>).

HalfTangible - No. Fire codes prevented it, unfortunately. Yahtzee will have to wait until he is state-side, where I believe it is called the Pizza Royale. To date it has only claimed 639 lives, so it is still legal in most states.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I'm a tad surprised at Yahtzee for not liking this game, since it had more than just what you'd expect when you think of "shooter", the enemies are aliens and not other humans, and all the characters appear to share his taste in hats.
Now all I can hear is Clint Eastwood doing that video game "Tell me more about..." response to dialogue trees.

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
HalfTangible said:
So... Did they make the sandwich?
Right! Forget this "another terrible shooter" stuff! Is there, or isn't there a hendeca-pizza sandwich/loaf/melange/mashup/whatever, and in what way did Pizza Hut charge for it?

Can an order like that be re-stated as a femto-(plus one)-vertical integration pizza-pizza deal?

Did they refuse to contemplate the order on the grounds that they only serve sane people?
(And if so, what was the rationale for having Australian branches of the franchise?)