Zero Punctuation: The Cave

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Dirty Apple said:
Y U NO FTL??

At this point, it feels like he's just teasing us with its possible review.
But then again, he did give it an EP text review, as he did with The Binding of Isaac. But as we all know, ZP is centered around disappointment, hatred, and unexpected joy.

Speaking of disappointment regarding a beloved developer attempting to bring back a game that should be similar to that developer's game that Yatzee really liked, this review reminded me of the Quantum Conundrum review halfway through.

rcuhljr

Nov 11, 2009
So all all I've learned in this thread is people have terrible ways of remembering stalactites versus stalagmites. Stalactites have a C for Ceiling, Stalagmites are G for ground. Tada.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Like a key and a door
A Banana and a monkey
And a dildo into a...
*silence*
*silence*
"velvet-lined dildo case"

Cracked me up big time :D

Kayweg

Aug 5, 2010
Skeleon said:
Regarding stalactites, here's a way to remember: Stalagmites have an M in them, just like pyramids which they sort of look like. And pyramids are on the ground; so the ones with the M are on the ground, too. That leaves stalactites for the ceiling.
Umm, wouldn't it have been easier just to say stalactite has a "C" like ceiling instead of saddleing the horse from the wrong end ?
And no, not THOSE horses ! :p

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Dirty Apple said:
Y U NO FTL??

Here, give this a read. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/10153-Hotline-Miami-Is-Nuts-FTL-Is-Gambling.2]

OT: Lots of really funny analogies in this one, good show. Didn't know anything about this game, but I'm not particularly interested in puzzle-platformers and it sounds like it's missing the Double Fine charm people always ascribe to their games, so I guess it's just as well that I've got no interest in it.

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
Stalactites cling tight to the ceiling.
Stalagmites might grow out of the ground. Thank you, Sam & Max.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Tights fall down. That how I remember it. Thank you Simon Lane.

I can believe Yahtzee's sex involves dressing a dwarf up as Mr. Darcy and roleplaying out a Flintstones fetish.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Kayweg said:
Umm, wouldn't it have been easier just to say stalactite has a "C" like ceiling instead of saddleing the horse from the wrong end ?
And no, not THOSE horses ! :p
No, because "ceiling" doesn't have a C in it in German.
Actually, shit, it does. "Decke". Nevermind, just add it I guess.

Morbira

Nov 28, 2009
Skeleon said:
Regarding stalactites, here's a way to remember: Stalagmites have an M in them, just like pyramids which they sort of look like. And pyramids are on the ground; so the ones with the M are on the ground, too. That leaves stalactites for the ceiling.
EDIT: Ninja'd

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I didn't realise there where good endings either. Though the biggest disappointment with The Cave was the lack of dialogue for the main characters, it takes a lot from what good have been an interesting dynamic between the different characters.

Jan 12, 2012
Falseprophet said:
snave said:
Skeleon said:
Holding a handstand all day takes might, hanging requires holding on tight.
Stalactites tumble, while stalagmites are mounted to the floor.
Stalactites for the top, Stalagmites must be below.

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
I really liked The Cave. I saw it as an unofficial sequence to The Lost Vikings. It's visually beautiful, the characters are funny enough, and it is a continuous experience: no loading screens (except for the first time your game is loaded), no quest dialogs, no inventories, no side quests, just you and the game.

Is it a full adventure game? No. Is it fun? yes, and I definitely will play it sometime in the future.

Jan 27, 2011
Dirty Apple said:
Y U NO FTL??

He gave it his recommendation in Extra Punctuation. I don't think we'll be getting a full review of FTL.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
franksands said:
I really liked The Cave. I saw it as an unofficial sequence to The Lost Vikings. It's visually beautiful, the characters are funny enough, and it is a continuous experience: no loading screens (except for the first time your game is loaded), no quest dialogs, no inventories, no side quests, just you and the game.

Is it a full adventure game? No. Is it fun? yes, and I definitely will play it sometime in the future.
Yeah, can't disagree with Yahtzee on the flaw of needing to replay the same puzzles to see the best unique ones, but I quite enjoyed my playthrough.

Would have been interesting to see the characters talk too, but I still enjoyed the narrator's dark humor.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
I don't know if I appreciate the ending thing revealed/spoiled for me, even though technically I hadn't really given thought to playing The Cave yet. Adventures aren't exactly my thing.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
rcuhljr said:
So all all I've learned in this thread is people have terrible ways of remembering stalactites versus stalagmites. Stalactites have a C for Ceiling, Stalagmites are G for ground. Tada.
Thank you! Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

I was scrolling down the responses and I kept thinking about this very thing. I've never understood why so many people find it necessary to come up with other reminders.

OT: "A fish's mystical ability to talk to a camel." Lol! He had his wit hat on firmly today. This is one of the few reviews that I've lately wanted to rewatch straight away.