Zero Punctuation: The Cave

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
"Stalactites and stalagmites;
Only caves have got 'em;
Tites are always on the top;
and Mites are on the bottom."
Because it's not like enough people have responded to that bit already.

OT: I had no idea what this game was. The PlayStation Store made a big deal about it, but I wasn't interested enough to see just what it was about. The Cave isn't a very interesting name. If I take what Yahtzee says to heart, it isn't a particularly interesting game, either, so that all fits.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
wait a minute...

you have a game from a developer with ingenious writing skills and they do not talk to each other? Why the shit would want to play it more than once?
Heck, Fire Emblem get long-winded and tedious after the third replay but I still love to play it so I can get the support conversations and fulfill my uncanonical shipping needs.

Welp, sounds like another game on my ever-growing to watch list of let's plays.

alpha0924

Mar 12, 2011
"And sex only lasts like 10 seconds"

Oh, 10 seconds? Look at Yahtzee, bragging about how long he can last in bed.

taltamir

Mar 16, 2005
The cave sucked.
Not only was every single complaint yahtzee made spot on (especially the one about the shallowness of the so called "puzzles"), the game was also plain not funny (even though it tried hard to be).

I got exactly half way through on my first play-through before quitting and deleting it. (so, 3 hours of gameplay total)

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Did they ever re-release the game at all? I couldn't beat it as young kid on the NES and it was pretty damn good.

grumbel

Oct 6, 2010
Nurb said:
Did they ever re-release the game at all?
They had it included in Day of the Tentacle and it got rereleased multiple times with improved graphics on other systems. But all of that was 20 years ago. They haven't done a modern anniversary edition or anything, but it plays fine in ScummVM.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Just hearing "Lucasarts" and "adventure game" in the same sentence brought on a lot of nostalgia for me. The Cave sounds interesting enough, although I'm not sure how to feel about having to go through it so many times just to see everything.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
A cave made up of my past sins... so basically my browser history... IM SORRY, I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS A TRAP I SWEAR!!!

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
My sins are masturbation related too but I've already been punished for them. Namely, I've been punished by an accidentally torn penile frenulum that bleeds whenever I get an erection and will probably require surgery.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
That maniac mansion game sounds pretty cool. A point & click adventure where the puzzles change depending on your characters, and thus has some actual replay value? Cool. Shame this game doesn't use that.

Darth Jerak

Nov 19, 2009
My first thought after playing it was I can't wait to see the zero punctuation review of this! I've played through 2 times (haven't done the twins) and I think I will wait a few months before doing the 3rd time. There are a few good moments and the puzzles are nice the first time, speaking as someone who doesn't do much puzzle gaming. Totally agree that more characters should talk! I would love to see some DLC that adds alternative puzzles for the fixed set so I dont' have to do that freakin' "deserted island" again.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Uh... I haven't played the game or anything, but if you can mix the good and the bad endings of different characters per playthrough, you should only need five playthroughs to see all the content.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Falseprophet said:
snave said:
Skeleon said:
Regarding stalactites, here's a way to remember: Stalagmites have an M in them, just like pyramids which they sort of look like. And pyramids are on the ground; so the ones with the M are on the ground, too. That leaves stalactites for the ceiling.
Holding a handstand all day takes might, hanging requires holding on tight.
Stalactites tumble, while stalagmites are mounted to the floor.
Stalactites go on the ceiling, while stalagmites go on the ground.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
I loved it. Personally I have no problem with the hidden endings because I like pestering NPCs to hear the lines (that's how I found out you could return the items). Heck, why play games like this if you aren't going to try all sorts of things to see what happens? I pitty those that haven't even see the
"Aroused clown"

...actually you only have to play it five times to see every ending [/dork]
EDIT: (d'oh, it's already been mentioned)