Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I agree with pretty much everything he said, but still enjoyed the game.. As others have pointed out, the games biggest sin is the fact that it starts feeling really, really repetitive on that third play through and this is a drawback of having 7 characters but requiring three playthroughs to see all their areas. A problem that could be solved by removing one or adding two, so each play through has a fairly decent amount of new content.

And it's interesting that nobody noticed this during play-testing, because I've read they actually had a lot more characters planned and they cut it down to 7. So really, would it have been that hard cut down to 9 instead?

Still, for a $15 game, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Darth Jerak said:
My first thought after playing it was I can't wait to see the zero punctuation review of this! I've played through 2 times (haven't done the twins) and I think I will wait a few months before doing the 3rd time. There are a few good moments and the puzzles are nice the first time, speaking as someone who doesn't do much puzzle gaming. Totally agree that more characters should talk! I would love to see some DLC that adds alternative puzzles for the fixed set so I dont' have to do that freakin' "deserted island" again.
I'm really hoping that Double Fine listens and adds another character or two to round out the third playthrough.

Also, the desert island part would have been much more satisfying if you could just bludgeon Herman the Hermit(once he jumps in your boat) and dump him into the ocean......or throw his dog into the water in front of him and watch him swim out to get him. Really, considering the people you're dealing with, I'm surprised this wasn't an option. I mean, what's a little annoying hermit murder after starting WWIII or a time traveling genocide?

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Darth Jerak said:
My first thought after playing it was I can't wait to see the zero punctuation review of this! I've played through 2 times (haven't done the twins) and I think I will wait a few months before doing the 3rd time. There are a few good moments and the puzzles are nice the first time, speaking as someone who doesn't do much puzzle gaming. Totally agree that more characters should talk! I would love to see some DLC that adds alternative puzzles for the fixed set so I dont' have to do that freakin' "deserted island" again.
I'm really hoping that Double Fine listens and adds another character or two to round out the third playthrough.

Also, the desert island part would have been much more satisfying if you could just bludgeon Herman the Hermit(once he jumps in your boat) and dump him into the ocean......or throw his dog into the water in front of him and watch him swim out to get him. Really, considering the people you're dealing with, I'm surprised this wasn't an option. I mean, what's a little annoying hermit murder after starting WWIII or some time traveling genocide?

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Darth Jerak said:

Also, the desert island part would have been much more satisfying if you could just bludgeon Herman the Hermit(once he jumps in your boat) and dump him into the ocean......or throw his dog into the water in front of him and watch him swim out to get him. Really, considering the people you're dealing with, I'm surprised this wasn't an option. I mean, what's a little annoying hermit murder after starting WWIII or some time traveling genocide?

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
ThreeKneeNick said:
I don't know if I appreciate the ending thing revealed/spoiled for me, even though technically I hadn't really given thought to playing The Cave yet. Adventures aren't exactly my thing.
It's not really a spoiler. This game is much more about the journey then the destination and the destination really isn't anything to write home about.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
themilo504 said:
I really hate those guide dang it situations in video games where you have to have psychic powers to get the good ending.
I think it was supposed to be more a matter of thinking outside the box then pyshic powers. Yeah, no one told you had to give the objects back, but the narration by the cave in the bad endings says they could have learned lessons and they didn't, implying you missed something. And really, it was the chase for that most desired thing that caused them to do such horrible things, so by abandoning that object, it signifies the character showing remorse for their sins or showing that no, the ends do not justify the means.

Or to quote another game that kind of covered a lot of the same ground(in a much grimmer way) "None of this had to happen. All you had to do was walk away"

quantumsaint

Dec 12, 2007
I really like this game and just finished my fourth playthrough. If you like LucasArts point 'n clicks or Double Fine games you will probably like this game. My problem with The Cave is that there are some collision and framerate issues that really should have been hammered out before launch. I did experience some wonky jumping like Yahtzee pointed out, but then I downloaded it on XBLA and had a much better time with it. I hope (as someone else pointed out) they add another two characters. But 7 characters...7 sins...kind of fits as is.

head desk tricycle

Aug 14, 2010
"Are they trying to ensure good reviews through Stockholm Syndrome?"
This could be said of pretty much every adventure game ever made.
Also, that doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the Allegory of the Cave at all.

sinterklaas

Dec 6, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
Falseprophet said:
snave said:
Skeleon said:
Regarding stalactites, here's a way to remember: Stalagmites have an M in them, just like pyramids which they sort of look like. And pyramids are on the ground; so the ones with the M are on the ground, too. That leaves stalactites for the ceiling.
Holding a handstand all day takes might, hanging requires holding on tight.
Stalactites tumble, while stalagmites are mounted to the floor.
Stalactites go on the ceiling, while stalagmites go on the ground.
Once, when I was still a little human, a great man (the tour guide of an underground cave system) told me the following piece of wisdom: "Stalactites hang because titties hang.".

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Skeleon said:
Regarding stalactites, here's a way to remember: Stalagmites have an M in them, just like pyramids which they sort of look like. And pyramids are on the ground; so the ones with the M are on the ground, too. That leaves stalactites for the ceiling.
I've always remembered it as: Stalactites sounds like it has the word "tights" in it. So Stalactites are the ones that are the correct way up to wear a pair of tights. Stalagmites are the other ones.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
rcuhljr said:
So all all I've learned in this thread is people have terrible ways of remembering stalactites versus stalagmites. Stalactites have a C for Ceiling, Stalagmites are G for ground. Tada.
However, that relies on being able to remember how to correctly spell the two words. :(

My brain is unfortunately retarded in that regard (stalagmites, stalacmites, stalagtites and stalactites all become interchangeable very easily) so I get on better if I rely on the "tights" sound in one of them to get me started.

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
Loved it!

Just when you thought there wasn't enough wank in the world.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
Wait a sec, Yahtzee. You had to play the game six times to see all the endings?

Okay, seven characters, with 2 endings each. Let's call the characters ABCDEFG and their endings either :) or :(

So, if you can see three endings per playthrough, you can get the :) of six characters ABCDEF in two playthroughs.

For your third, you can get G:) to finish them off, but then you move onto the :( endings. For your third, you can do G:) A:( B:(

For your fourth, the :( of CDE.

Then your fifth, and you only have two left, F:( and G:( ! And only one wasted repeat ending.

That's only five playthroughs with only one extraneous ending! You've been wasting your time!

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
The Gentleman said:
Yes, I put my dildo in my "velvet-lined dildo case" too. What? Why is everybody looking at me funny?
It wouldn't happen to look like this, would it? They're for real, but rather expensive.

As far as the game goes, it's a shame it keeps getting such mixed reviews from everyone. I had been looking forward to it, but it doesn't sound worth rushing out to play until I make some serious progress on my enormous backlog.

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
Skeleon said:
Too unnecessarily complicated. Try this:

Stalagmites take the "g" from "ground." Stalactites take the "c" from "ceiling."

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Stalactites are named so by what they do. Stalactites drop water, while stalagmites are the dropped ones.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
After playing the demo i was surprised how unfunny it was, the comedic timing in the intro is completely off and just plain awkward. Not really sure i want to play more of this game, it just didn´t do anything for me, except dissapoint, Ron Gilbert used to be good at comedy :/.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
So from what I watched in this video, not every LucasArts-style-adventure game made by former LucasArts adventure game programmers is a guaranteed winner. Or was it because Tim Schafer wasn't involved?
And by Yahtzee's logic, he could have had sex at least 5 times during the end credits!