Zero Punctuation: The Curious Expedition & Mother Russia Bleeds

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
The Curious Expedition & Mother Russia Bleeds

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews The Curious Expedition & Mother Russia Bleeds.

Watch Video

carewolf

Jan 10, 2015
At least it was renowned explorers, which had the non-combat mechanics, like seducing the enemy (by shooting hearts at them and giving them love damage), scaring them (by shooting ghosts at them and giving them fear damage), enraging them (by shooting taunts at them and giving them rage damage), and finally shooting them, giving them physical damage.

I found that lack of imagination in an exploration game, damn curious.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
So, Curious Expedition or Renowned Explorers: International Society; which was more enjoyable?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Am I supposed to be more familiar with Mother Russia Bleeds' developers to know what kind of game it was going to be? I forgot their name already, I think it starts with a 'D'.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
Hooked me at Lovecraft as an explorer. Gutted me with Lovecraft meeting the Queen.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Andre Nilsson said:
did H. P. Lovecraft really believe that or was that just a joke and he was "Just" really racist?
Lovecraft's racism was:

A. Telling of the times.
B. Influenced by his own mental illness.

I wish people would consider, before hating on H.P. Lovecraft, how terrible it would have been to be H.P. Lovecraft. He was one of many great authors who had an enormity of bad things happen in his life and who coped in unhealthy and/or self-destructive ways. Poe and Fitzgerald drank themselves to death. Hemingway and Robert E. Howard killed themselves. Lovecraft directed his anger and insecurities outward. He seemed scared of many things, chiefly the changing world and unknown cultures; this is reflected throughout his body of work. Make of that what you will.

Chimichanga

Jun 27, 2009
Andre Nilsson said:
did H. P. Lovecraft really believe that or was that just a joke and he was "Just" really racist?
Yes and no. No, Lovecraft did not believe what Yahtzee said ad verbatim; that was a joke. However, yes he did believe that they were inferior subspecies of the human race and he was extremely racist, even by the era's standards.
That being said, I think it was when he was in his thirties that he finally left Providence to go live in New York for a few years (which he hated), married a jew (which he loved), all of which chilled him out enough to make him just normally racist when he returned to Providence before dying in his early 40's.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Glad to see there was no repeating of the tired "MRB was too difficult, enemies take too many hits to down!" I kept seeing on Steam reviews. Apparently Croshow was smart enough to use charged shots and grapple attacks.

But he's wrong; play as Natasha in single player and the dialogue changes slightly. The prison governor says he should have mutilated your nethers instead of chopping your balls off, for example.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
I guess holding out for Hyper Light Drifter is like waiting for it to rain in the Sahara at this point.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I think we need to find a more offensive name for the Xbone. I mean, everyone just calls it the Xbone now.

Ignawesome

Mar 12, 2010
I'm just going to point out that there actually are games with truly infinite non-shallow replayability, unlike Yahtzee said. One of them is Rimworld... (and also Dwarf Fortress). But Rimworld is actually playable.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I played TCE when it came out and found it okay. I love the idea, the art style works for me, but the expeditions do get a bit samey and I guess I'm bad at the game because I started running into major issues with starving to death and eating my party a couple expeditions in.

Maybe I'll give it another try and see if my feelings on it have improved.

artstsym

May 7, 2008
Yahtzee, if by the slimmest of chances you are reading this, could you please replace all future Thomas Ruff moments with H.P. Lovecraft instead?

R Man

Dec 19, 2007
Andre Nilsson said:
Lovecraft was definitely a racist. However, the other details of his life are incorrect. Lovecraft was not actually a shut in. He actually spent a lot of time travelling in America, including living in New York, and travelling as far south as Key West. He wanted to go to Havana at one point but ran out of money.

He also had a lot of friends, though most of them were pen-pals. In fact, after Voltaire, Lovecraft is the most prolific letter-writer in history. He spent a lot of time visiting them, and he helped start the careers of people like Robert Bloch and Robert Barlow. So he was a complex person.