Zero Punctuation: The Division

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I am really missing the day when Tom Clancy games had balls.

Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory were masterpieces.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
If only Ubisoft would take a cue from the guy who made Bear Simulator and just quit. Go into... fuck it I dunno, slot machines like Konami? The mobile market is already shit they can't shit that up any more. Can they?

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I'm so in need of something to scratch the Rainbow 6: Vegas itch. I was thinking that Siege might be the closest thing, but I can't bring myself to buy it. Seems like such a ripoff with all the microtransactions and whatnot, and the forced online stuff just doesn't grab me.

I also love Borderlands, seems I enjoy the 3rd person shooting loot'n'shoot to the RPG hack'n'slash nowadays, but I'm still a bit torn on the Division. If it really is as boring as people say it is, then it's not worth full price just yet, and by the time the price goes down there's probably not as many people playing it anymore! And this game seems pretty crucial in the play with buddies factor.

Speaking of which, can anyone who's played it weigh-in on whether the game is playable with strangers? If the solo is out of question, and I don't have any buddies (on PC at least) who play it - what's it like jumping in a random party?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
JohnnyDelRay said:
Speaking of which, can anyone who's played it weigh-in on whether the game is playable with strangers? If the solo is out of question, and I don't have any buddies (on PC at least) who play it - what's it like jumping in a random party?
My brother plays the game. Thus far he has said that all the random pugs he has been in have all been well mannered and polite.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
008Zulu said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
My brother plays the game. Thus far he has said that all the random pugs he has been in have all been well mannered and polite.
Thanks, that's all I really wanted to know. Seems the game could be quite prone to trolling, or getting screwed over if you get too brave without some sort of crew. Also with the collidable player models and so on.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
JohnnyDelRay said:
008Zulu said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
Thanks, that's all I really wanted to know. Seems the game could be quite prone to trolling, or getting screwed over if you get too brave without some sort of crew. Also with the collidable player models and so on.
I join matchmaking for every major mission - Partly due to the fact I'm far too afraid to do them on my own, especially with the knowledge that they end with a boss every time.
Most of the time, groups are silent. They never speak, they just move right along. I've only dropped 'one' group because two people were under the mission level by like, four levels. That's a lot in this game and it showed, dieing instantly. I just dropped that one and moved on.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I think those pics that came out on launch day sum things up quite nicely: The Division is about as fun as standing in a line.

Jan 19, 2016
It's bland and tedious and utterly tone deaf, yet it's still selling it's socks off. Ubisoft are geniuses at finding the lowest common denominator and honing in on it with laser like precision. I hate modern gaming, for every Witcher 3, we have to endure a dozen Call of Dutys, Destinys, and The Divisions. I think I might pack it all in and take up golf or something.

myke66

Sep 11, 2014
Very surprised to see a review like this, I'm having a blast with it. I love the HUD and the cover based tactical combat. Boss enemies with higher HP makes sense for an RPG, which this very much is.

Seems like a lot of other commenters are enjoying it as well! Oh well, maybe the next game will fix your style better Yahtzee.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Michael Prymula said:
erttheking said:
Michael Prymula said:
erttheking said:
Adeptus Aspartem said:
And apparently it's still Ubisofts best selling game ever. And people wonder about why the AAA industry behaves the way it does - because people buy the grey sludge anyway.
I'm skeptical, considering that Ubisoft is saying the amount of money it made and not the number of copies it sold. When Halo 5 did this it turned out that it was counting the money made off of Xbox One bundles, and sure enough, similar bundles are being offered for the division.

OT: Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought the idea of secret government agents being prepared to take over sounded a little dodgy.
Halo 5 still sold well regardless though.
By the industry average? Yes. By the Halo average not so much though. In fact I think I saw some people argue that it was the weakest entry in the series regarding sheer copies.
Not according to Forbes:http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/11/04/halo-5-was-the-biggest-launch-in-halo-history/#228e97b552e5
Read the entire article. The headline supports your claim, the article body questions Microsoft's claim since they do not differentiate hardware and software and only focus on the total money from bundles+software.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Michael Prymula said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I am really missing the day when Tom Clancy games had balls.

Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory were masterpieces.
I was so pissed when Patriots got cancelled, and I was even more pissed when I heard Siege would have no single player campaign at all(a Tom Clancy game with no campaign is the biggest oxymoron i've ever heard).
Rainbow Six Siege on its own is not a bad game.

Its just I think Ubisoft was pushing this game to be a mere competitor to Valve's Counter Strike Global Offensive.

Because R6 Siege reminds me alot of Counter Strike.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Michael Prymula said:
Adeptus Aspartem said:
Michael Prymula said:
Just cause it's "grey sludge" doesn't mean it is to everyone.
This can be turned around though. Just because people are happy with "grey sludge" doesn't mean it suddenly isn't "grey sludge".
Again, that's just your opinion, not a fact. You can't "turn people around" just cause they don't share your opinion, that's just silly. I'd love to convince everyone that Rainbow Six Siege is a rip-off for what it offers, but some people have no problem paying full price for it, so I can't really say their opinion that it's a good value proposition is wrong, just like you can't say that someone who likes The Division is "wrong".
Again: This goes both ways. One opinion isn't magically more "right"/"wrong" than another.
Opinion A: "RBS: Division is a good game" does not obsolete Opinion B: "Division is grey sludge" just because you say so. People's judgment can be wrong - this includes me too.

I can very well state that peoples judgment about many qualities attributed to Division are wrong. Because besides obviously subjective parts there are things that can be judged objectively.
Like the game glitching, bugging and crashing left right and center for tons of people. Those are numbers, they don't give a damn about my or anyone elses opinions. If game X doesn't work for a % of people that's a fact - and AAA games usually have more and more often huge problems at release.

People can still buy it and think it's the best thing ever - for them, on a small scale because they probably dodged the bullet on the game not working. It's a matter of perspective. If i'm egoistic and like to play lottery of course i don't care if AAA games have a 10% (arbitrary number) failure rate, i'm gonna be lucky anyway and won't have the problem - still doesn't change the fact that 10% of the people get the shaft from Ubisoft and that shouldn't be encouraged.
Some people don't tolerate that behavior and won't give them money, because they think they could be in the 10% - the others don't care because they think they'll be in the 90%.

Another point that Yahtzee extrapolated is the tone-deafness of the game and the silly plot. People can ignore it or even like it, but that rahter shows me alot of people actually don't care about any quality as long as theirs cheap, fast "fun" -> In Ubisofts case a neat skinner-box that gives you raising percentages on various vapid mcguffins.
To make another analogy: If people like to eat fries at McDonalds and think it's the greatest shit ever, it still doesn't magically transform these fries into high-quality products, it just means people are happy with sloppy fries in old oil.

tl;dr: One opinion doesn't negate/obsolete another opinion. Saying a game is good is equal to saying a game is bad.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
martyrdrebel27 said:
i guess there's something wrong with me then, because i've been loving the division. the gunplay and combat in general is some of the most intense, hectic fun i've had in a game in a while.

I would recommend finding someone to play with and never not playing with them though, this seems infinitely more fun when i'm at my friend's house "LAN" ing this game.
Let propose this possiblity to you: the game is shit stupid boring, it's your friend beeing there and cracking jokes that makes the scenario exciting and fun. Anything, even a damned dentists apointment can become fun with friends around to make jokes and entertain eachother. I bloody hate it when people come up with this excuse "oh play it with a friend, it gets fun". This doesn't make the game good or fun. It means your friend is good and fun to hang around with. The game remains as boring and shity as it was when your friend was at his house jerking off.

It's the same argument all the shitesda fanboys keep using: "Oh it's great with mods.". I don't care if it's great with mods. In order for a game to be capable of claiming it is good, it has to stand on it's own merits, mods/friends/bj's from the girlfriend while you play not counting for anything. If the game is incapable of delivering on it's own, then it isn't a good game, simple as that. I you have to find a friend to make the game bearable/fun or download gigs of mods, then that is not a good game. Sure, mods/friends can enhance a playing experience. But not subsitute it.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
XDSkyFreak said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
i guess there's something wrong with me then, because i've been loving the division. the gunplay and combat in general is some of the most intense, hectic fun i've had in a game in a while.

I would recommend finding someone to play with and never not playing with them though, this seems infinitely more fun when i'm at my friend's house "LAN" ing this game.
Let propose this possiblity to you: the game is shit stupid boring, it's your friend beeing there and cracking jokes that makes the scenario exiting and fun. Anything, even a damned dentists apointment can become fun with friends around to make jokes and entertain eachother. I bloody hate it when people come up with this excuse "oh play it with a friend, it gets fun". This doesn't make the game good or fun. It means your friend is good and fun to hang around with. The game remains as boring and shity as it was when your friend was at his house jerking off.
but that wasn't really the scenario. sitting there talking and playing, we sound more like the scripted bs from the e3 presentations. we actually talk about flanking and position and all that haha. it really is the gunplay i like. i play it alone as well, frequently, and i still love the gunplay, but it's better with a friend, as all things designed specifically for multiplayer are.