Zero Punctuation: The End is Nigh, and Yonder: Cloud Catcher Chronicles

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
The End is Nigh, and Yonder: Cloud Catcher Chronicles

This week, Yahtzee reviews The End is Nigh and Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles.

Watch Video

HazardousCube

Apr 20, 2017
Normally when Yahtzee reviews two games, there is a theme connecting the two, but here I fail to see anything that connects The End is Nigh with Yonder:The Cloud Catcher Chronicles. Am I missing something here or is the theme the very vague one that none of them have any direction?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
HazardousCube said:
Normally when Yahtzee reviews two games, there is a theme connecting the two, but here I fail to see anything that connects The End is Nigh with Yonder:The Cloud Catcher Chronicles. Am I missing something here or is the theme the very vague one that none of them have any direction?
The theme was they are opposites. One is boring and tedious, the other, inversely, is tedious and boring.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
HazardousCube said:
Already his last indie double feature was a bit of a stretch, trying to equate both games to Dark Souls on the flimsiest grounds.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Yonder seems like the kind of game I might get if I was too lazy to install Minecraft mods. Like a less good Sky Factory.

P.S. Thanks

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Imagine the chill that went down my spine when I went to the front page of the Escapist only to find a picture of Yahtzee in a orange background near the text "The End is Nigh", thanks for that.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I larfed rlly hrd

And I understand the feeling of wtf am i doing with this because my children are going to force me to play minecraft this weekend.....

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Igor-Rowan said:
Imagine the chill that went down my spine when I went to the front page of the Escapist only to find a picture of Yahtzee in a orange background near the text "The End is Nigh", thanks for that.
Well, looking at the Escapists weekly content schedule, I'm amazed that Yahtzee hasn't gone off down the Patreon road yet. There must be some kind of contract in place.

stringtheory

Dec 18, 2011
Vern said:
Igor-Rowan said:
Well, looking at the Escapists weekly content schedule, I'm amazed that Yahtzee hasn't gone off down the Patreon road yet. There must be some kind of contract in place.
I heard he became a co-owner or something. So he has a vested interest in not leaving the escapist, especially since he's the only one keeping the whole company afloat.

Noyemi-K

Jan 6, 2016
Complaining that "your only reward is more, harder challenges" doesn't really turn me off of a video game, given that that's fundamentally what most video games are about in the first place. The real reward of beating a game is having beaten the game, not the meaningless crap like do-nothing collectibles, galleries, and other assorted "bonus features" that everyone expects from every game nowadays.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
That second game sounds an awful lot like that survival-crafter that Jim Sterling played not too long ago, Lost in Nature. In that it was a survival sim with no point that starts with you in an old sailing ship before getting shipwrecked on an island. So this is its less transparently garbage cousin, is it?

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
HazardousCube said:
They are both open-world games that, according to Yahtzee, would benefit by not being open-world games.

Yonder's name makes me think more of Skyward Sword, but making a farm in the sky is rather difficult. Lacking any other apparent major goals, the main objective should have been to rebuild your awesome ship from the start and use it to get off the island.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Yooooooooooo, Yahtzee. I Wanna be the Guy is my go to answer for people who say they're good a platformers. That game wrecked my shit back in high school.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Hutzpah Chicken said:
Yooooooooooo, Yahtzee. I Wanna be the Guy is my go to answer for people who say they're good a platformers. That game wrecked my shit back in high school.
Being good at platformers usually means being good at FAIR platformers - while IwbtG is basically trying to cheat whenever it can get away with it. And a few times where it normally can't but cheats that, too.

Shadowfury333

Mar 26, 2009
IwbtG is a slapstick routine disguised as a platformer.

For example, consider that first area with the three walls. The first two establish a pattern (walls go forward in the direction of their spikes) so the player thinks that how it works, then the third flips that around to surprise the player. If you are just watching it, it's a funny surprise (and follows the rule of three nicely). If you are playing, then it feels like an unfair game that just broke what it taught you, because that's what it did to make you the butt of the joke.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
It's the return of the floating ocelot head! I missed that guy. Now he's telling Yahtzee to "Inconvenience the whores". So, how does one go about doing that, talk to them on their street corners about anything BUT sex, and not give them your money?